gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  This is getting expensive
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: This is getting expensive  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Ste

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
This is getting expensive
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Who else is starting to notice mid parts going up in price?i understand if you want the clean stuff you have to dig deep but it's getting silly now
I think it's mainly ebay which I personally try and avoid as there is some idiots on there.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: This is getting expensive
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:17 PM »
I don't think it's Ebay to blame, to be honest, it's the collectors themselves. Everybody seems to strive for the more desirable and hard to come items, thus pushing up the prices when they come up for sale. It has certainly happened in Old School with people not wanting to build a bike anything less than a Hutch, or wanting the expensive brand items to ft  that Hutch, and rushing to pay the sellers asking prices thinking the items will not come along again.

Ebay is to blame with unscrupulous tactics going on but, you don't have to pay the asking prices of the sellers on there and even when some items are marked high, they rarely sell first, second or third time around.

I have seen some really drastic prices paid for items just because they are listed as 'rare' (usually because collectors and sellers hold onto them and drip feed the market to keep prices high).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:19 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:32 PM »
There is also a younger generation hitting there mid life crisis who probably straddle the old school to mid school years. Couple that with oldschoolers looking for something a bit different and arguably more ridable and the popularity of mid school was inevitable
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Happened a few years ago to be honest. Not that long ago you could get a set of Perry Super Pros for £120 (and before that £60), now you see mintola sets go for stupid monies on eBay.

Clint's right that more people with disposable income are turning up that were about in the 90's wanting to build, but realistically the price hikes all started over on the Museum; first with S&M/Homeless etc stuff, then Hoffman. Even later 90's/early 2000's stuff is going for daft amounts over there now.

Personally I welcome all in (although Hutch and Burner are swear words in 'ere), more the merrier. There's noticeably less talk about stuff that happened in Mid nowadays and more build threads but that's also not a negative thing. There's also a lot more shiney stuff and less survivor stuff in Mid now - to me that smacks less of the essence of the period - but again that's not to detract from builds (as there are some cracking resto's out there), just my take on things.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Ste

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Yeah that's true aswell,a lot of the sellers on eBay just assume because it's old its "rare" then when the next person who finds something in there shed from BITD they use ebay as a what it's worth guide.but yeah I think if you hold on then you could poss find it cheaper elsewhere.im lucky enough to have some good friends who have helped me out over the years or i wouldn't have anything.i was blown away by some of the deals I got from people at mk,I'd hate to do a whole build through eBay though,the sale thread has been really good on here lately esp for mid stuff. :daumenhoch:

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:47 PM »
To be fair I think there is still a lot of goof stuff to be had for decent money. The every day brands have jumped up because of the people coming on board and wanting to buy a nostalgic bike recognise them. Stuff like Haro has jumped in price, but at the same time there is so much of it about that the prices will come down again when people realise supply outweighs demand. Odyssey spiked, but has now come down again. S&M went mental high in early 2014, but is now back down to where it used to be. Hoffman seems to be the flavour of the month, but that too will settle by the end of the year.

To be fair I think there is still a lot of good mid stuff out there at good prices. If you shop for stuff that was a little different you can still get bargains as well. Just stay away from Haro... I have never seen such tat sell for such silly money. :LolLolLolLol:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03 PM »
There is also a younger generation hitting there mid life crisis who probably straddle the old school to mid school years. Couple that with oldschoolers looking for something a bit different and arguably more ridable and the popularity of mid school was inevitable

You wright that Clint   :chin:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Felt a bit off all day bud to be honest  :LolLolLolLol:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Felt a bit off all day bud to be honest  :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol:
read your blinking texts too  :yahoo_silent:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Anyway where were we  :LolLolLolLol:
I'd moved onto booze, fags, cars & the odd bird (very odd  "nono" ) by the time mid came along.
Can't remember who's it was but saw a morales in botm & thought it was fookin ace, blindly went hunting for one & ended up winning one off ebay. now have that a big dad & 3 khe's & nearly a BTS to . Most importantly still no fookin idea what I'm doing, buying or building & i don't care  :crazy2: . I  just really like the look of the funky chunky things  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Haro... I have never seen such tat sell for such silly money. :LolLolLolLol:

True, true.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Still plenty of bargains to be had... look at the Hyper wheel set msj won off ebay.  :shocked:
I refuse to pay silly money for anything... don't give a shit if it's the last piece of the jigsaw. I buy off Rad and only pay prices comparable to Rad. If you pay the prices these jokers are asking for it'll only entice others to ask the same thus driving prices past the point of no return.

Patience Grasshopper... building bikes is a marathon not a sprint.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02 PM »

Patience Grasshopper... building bikes is a marathon not a sprint.  :daumenhoch:

And there is the golden rule. Build anything in a rush and getting exactly what you want will cost a lot. Take your time and you will find what you want at the right price.
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  This is getting expensive

gfxgfx
gfx gfx