gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Tony "The Tiger" Murray
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tony "The Tiger" Murray  (Read 2263 times)

andy619

Tony "The Tiger" Murray
« on: August 28, 2006, 05:59 PM »
So on Saturday, 26/8/06, I get an invitation to Dave Voelker's son's birthday party.  The party is at a local bmx race track and I'm thinking cool, my 4 year old son will get his first taste of racing.  We arrive to the race track and the first thing I see is a big portable jump ramp.  As we slowly drive past the crowd and ramp, here comes Dave with a huge backflip and lands right next to the car.  He looks over at us and smiles then says park in the back.  I get my son padded up and pushed him off the starting gate and then go and mingle a bit.  I see a guy who is riding an old master with graffite skyway tuffs, coaster brake, vector bars, hutch seat clamp, shimano dx pedals, kashimax seat, and mx 1000 brakes.  Right when I started walking toward the guy Dave walks up and re-introduces me to Tony Murray.  What a surprise that was, we started talking about the good old days and old school bikes.  Tony said that someone told him that his bike might be worth a thousand dollars, I said yeah, you might be able to get a thousand for it ::)  At that point I realized he probably wouldn't sell it to me for $350 so I didn't bother to ask.  Very nice guy riding a very nice bike.  Tony manages a restaurant now and has a wife and son.  He hasn't riden a bike in almost 18 yrs.

My son had a blast and didn't want to leave.  My favorite quote from him was "Did you see me jump?  I really love the feeling when I jump in the air".  His eyes were wide and the grin on his face told all, he's hooked.  Ethan is getting a new 16" next month, but I'm not sure what kind, I really don't think he will care as long as it rolls.

Sorry no pics, battery went dead.

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Tony "The Tiger" Murray
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Cool story Andy , and yeah thats the way to go , start the yougins off early.......

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:10 PM »

you always get to go to the best places andy

keyhole kid

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 07:12 PM »
didnt  tony murray ride for haro?

and if my memory serves me right wasnt he the guy who did one hand one foot downside grabbing the rear wheel, in the king of the skateparks at pipeline......!

andy619

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 07:55 PM »
didnt  tony murray ride for haro?

and if my memory serves me right wasnt he the guy who did one hand one foot downside grabbing the rear wheel, in the king of the skateparks at pipeline......!

yes. and yes.

sean

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:12 PM »
I remember seeing a photo in freestylin' of Tony Murray doing a opposite one hand cancan table top air about 8ft out.

The caption said

" If anyone can...Tony Murray cancan"

Priceless

Anyone got the photo ??

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Hey Andy. Great story, both from the 80s BMX and your son! S&M are just bringing out a compete 16" BMX in a few months. I am trying hard to stop myself from buying 2 cos I think a 16" BMX is still to big for my 2 and 3 year olds!

cant wait to see pics of the next generaton of shoharas riding,

Alex

yoda

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:55 PM »
what a great link really enjoyed reading this. Hey Andy must have been a good few years like! Im glad to hear your ok

steve1275

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 09:15 PM »
sounds like you and your son had fun andy.... hope you get a bike soon.
looking at getting my daughter the mirrabikeco 12inch apprentice as a start into the world of wheels.

steve :daumenhoch:

andy619

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:03 PM »
what a great link really enjoyed reading this. Hey Andy must have been a good few years like! Im glad to hear your ok

Hi Dave, I've seen Yoda posts before but I didn't realize that it was you.  I have a few pictures of you from BITD that I posted on radbmx a while ago, but I can't remember where I posted them.  At first I thought it was CC because of the hot pink sweatshirt but some others here told me that it was you. 
I'm doing well here in San Diego.  I do plan on riding again when my bike gets here next month.  My son is riding now and wants me to ride with him.  I really need to teach him about fear, coz he doesn't have any. 
I'm guessing that it's been 18 yrs, great to hear from you Dave. 
Andy

Daniel W

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 12:18 PM »
He did ride for Diamond Back for a short while after he left Haro. He can be seen riding a DB on the cover of the December '87 issue of American Freestyler.

The "If anyone can, Tony Murray cancan" caption was in Plus!, at some contest held at Vencie Beach. Don't remember the exact issue.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Tony "The Tiger" Murray

gfxgfx
gfx gfx