gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 07:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What model Kuwahara?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What model Kuwahara?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
What model Kuwahara?
« on: January 04, 2015, 06:28 PM »
What model Kuwahara is this?  :-\ Not seen one like this before. Not doubting the seller as they seem to sell a lot of nice stuff. Just unusual looking with an odd looking serial.  :-\  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291338455805?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:35 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline andypatt444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: What model Kuwahara?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:16 AM »
It's a Koizumi made Laserlite.  My Laserlite serial is KGC (83) The D being an 84. I have also seen some KZ1's with KGA and KGB being 81's and 82's.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Learn something new everyday.  :)

Thought they would all start with a T and all be made in the same place. I've seen the KZ-1 with this type of serial but never a Laserlite. The brake bridge looks above the tubes and not in the middle. Not seen that either before.   :-\

A lot of money at £1k. Although suppose it is NOS.

:daumenhoch:

It's a Koizumi made Laserlite.  My Laserlite serial is KGC (83) The D being an 84. I have also seen some KZ1's with KGA and KGB being 81's and 82's.

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:18 PM »
That's Earls old stuff, biggest old collection known......

He / his executors have been selling bits for years, and all quality stuff ! I guarantee

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Yeah, I've bought off them, spot on to deal with.

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:33 PM »
.......sold

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Did you buy it?  ???

.......sold

They do sell some nice stuff.  :)

That's Earls old stuff, biggest old collection known......

He / his executors have been selling bits for years, and all quality stuff ! I guarantee

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Is the brake bridge right though for a Laserlite? Missing the Laserlite decal too. :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:13 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 03:47 AM »
So I wonder what's the story behind Koizumi making them? Perhaps Kuwahara asked both Koizumi and Tange to make the initial batches to begin with, then settled on Tange. I'm guessing Ian from Natsukashi will know with his contacts. I'll PM him now.  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:29 AM »
the japans love those versions and i sold one years ago for about 350 and that was before prices went stupid . rare frames
oh and mine went to japan as well
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Natsukashi

• Curb Endo
    • Natsukashi-Jitensha
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53 AM »
As far as I know Tange did not make the frames (information I got from the Kuwahara family one night while drinking, err I mean a meeting) . The tubes, hangers and drop-outs were all Tange for sure but the two welding and finishing shops were Koizumi and Tokyo Kogyo. A friend of mine Hiroshi Takahashi (Japan Kuwahara factory team in 1980s) told me that Tokyo Kogyo would send out containers full of frames every other day. Maybe demand just required 2 welding shops. This is why early 80's Cycle Pro Bonzai's look similar to Kuwahara's: same Tange tubes and drop-outs and probably one of the same welding shops.

Koizumi still has a huge chroming tank that they used for all the makers frames they produced like the DB Silver streak, and HL Turbo etc (see it here: Koizumi Factory)
-

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 05:40 PM »

8)  :coolsmiley:

As far as I know Tange did not make the frames (information I got from the Kuwahara family one night while drinking, err I mean a meeting) . The tubes, hangers and drop-outs were all Tange for sure but the two welding and finishing shops were Koizumi and Tokyo Kogyo. A friend of mine Hiroshi Takahashi (Japan Kuwahara factory team in 1980s) told me that Tokyo Kogyo would send out containers full of frames every other day. Maybe demand just required 2 welding shops. This is why early 80's Cycle Pro Bonzai's look similar to Kuwahara's: same Tange tubes and drop-outs and probably one of the same welding shops.

Koizumi still has a huge chroming tank that they used for all the makers frames they produced like the DB Silver streak, and HL Turbo etc (see it here: Koizumi Factory)
-

Offline andypatt444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Great info from Japan. Cheers.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:32 AM »

Thanks for the reply Ian! :bow:

So let me get this straight in my little mind - all the "Tange-made" frames that we know and love (Laserlite et al) are actually Tange tubing welded up by Koizumi and/or Tokyo Kogyo???

Btw Ian, we should meet up for a beer and/or a spin on the Kuwis soon!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Natsukashi

• Curb Endo
    • Natsukashi-Jitensha
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20 AM »

Thanks for the reply Ian! :bow:

So let me get this straight in my little mind - all the "Tange-made" frames that we know and love (Laserlite et al) are actually Tange tubing welded up by Koizumi and/or Tokyo Kogyo???

Btw Ian, we should meet up for a beer and/or a spin on the Kuwis soon!  :daumenhoch:

Happy New Year Mick! Too cold for spinning but a beer sounds favorite!

Re frames, yes that's right as far as I know. I am quite sure the forks were made by Tange (that or the forks were complete without the drop-outs which were welded by Koizumi or Tokyo-kogyo) but the frames were not welded by them ordinarily.  I have met the owner of Tokyo Kogyo and of course I know Koizumi-san so I know those two were the primary welders and finishers - there may have been others over the years. I think Tokyo-Kogyo may have done more since I know Koizumi were busy with the Diamond Back frames and later Trick-stars and some Raleigh Burner models, to name a few.

Cheers!
 :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 12:05 PM »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Just seen this go back up for sale. I thought it sold!  :-\ Price drop from £1k to £660 plus post  :) Still too much.  :( Lovely example though for a collector.  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-1980s-KUWAHARA-CHROME-BMX-SURV-KZ-LT-FREESTYLE-FRAME-FORK-W-BOX-/291351212232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d5e2b0c8
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:29 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline andypatt444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I hope someone on RAD buys it. I just can't afford it myself. :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What model Kuwahara?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx