gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DX Pedals - can you remove the pins?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DX Pedals - can you remove the pins?  (Read 673 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
DX Pedals - can you remove the pins?
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone knows if you can remove the pins from DX pedals and if so, how do ya do it?

Also are replacement pins available?

Nice one  :daumenhoch:

John

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Re: DX Pedals - can you remove the pins?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:25 PM »
You can replace the pins on the new ones using a 2 or 2.5mm key. Can't remember if the old ones are the same...

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:34 PM »
my guess is that they are pressed in,  removing them could end causing more damage to the pedals than its worth,  I'm sure someone on here used welding rod to replace them,  but the pins were already missing,  drilling them out could be tricky and could end up in heart ache..
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Use a decent vice with good jaws to twist the pins out ... they normally pull out quite easily providing there's enough meat left

The pins are knurled in the centre and machined the same at both ends so you can just turn them around when refitting them  :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Use a decent vice with good jaws to twist the pins out ... they normally pull out quite easily providing there's enough meat left

The pins are knurled in the centre and machined the same at both ends so you can just turn them around when refitting them  :daumenhoch:

Nice one Steve... will give it a go sometime  :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:05 PM »
I've often thought a slide hammer with the equivalent of a drill chuck to clamp down onto the pins may work??

Offline meerkat333

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Havent tried this, but another thing to remember is if the pins are knurled when u pull them out u will also damage slightly the alluminium, so if u put the pin back in they maybe looser than before and have more chance of coming out with use , i would advise u get some loctite glue (cant remember the exact sort but it is similar to threadlock) and put a small dab of it on the pin before refitting the pin.

Offline oldskoolg60

• Curb Endo
  • Treat everyone exactly how you wish to be treated
    • Pendle bmx /pump track project
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 04:51 PM »
IF it was me I would take the pins out, tap the holes , whetever the size is, m3 or 4? Then use grub screws with loctite to keep them in. So next time you need to replace them, use the allen key and wind them back out. Maybe screw them from underneath so the allen bit isnt damaged, easier to take out of it breaks off too.
I try my best to improve my life everyday. Sometimes I slip.

Offline BMXOAP

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Yes replacement pins are available for DX pedals as long as they are pressed in and not the moulded bodies. Most decent mtb mail order companies should stock them. They come in different lengths too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DX Pedals - can you remove the pins?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx