gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Carlo Griggs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Carlo Griggs  (Read 11876 times)

Trev

Carlo Griggs
« on: August 25, 2006, 01:44 AM »

Here are some pics of the great Carlo Griggs from back in 1987.  Enjoy!  :4_17_5:

slowpoke24

Re: Carlo Griggs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:12 AM »
Fook me !!That is some serious air in that first pic. :shocked:

Some great shots there Trev.Got any more?

theRuler

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:00 AM »
carlo is the country's most naturally talented ramp rider

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Wow, I had stopped riding & never got a chance to see Carlo ride. Feck he is good  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:10 AM »
I went to Gloucester Leisure centre at some point around that time to see Mat Hoffman and Greg Giuote (?).

That was Tizer sponsered as well. Carlo may well have been there but Greg was just out of this world.

They were giving away Tizer sweets as well which were lovely.

gmac

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Fook me, that's some air  :coolsmiley:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:44 PM »
Fook me, that's some air  :coolsmiley:

same goes for me too

what was he doing up there,

polishing the stars maybe :LolLolLolLol:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:05 PM »
I can't stop looking at that first air. By god that's  stupidly high.  How anyone can go that far up is beyond me. He really is a gifted rider.... and 1987 wasn't yesterday either.

Glad to have him on here as a member. Hats off to a legend..  upmost respect. :4_17_5:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

andy619

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:43 PM »
I can't stop looking at that first air. By god that's  stupidly high.  How anyone can go that far up is beyond me. He really is a gifted rider.... and 1987 wasn't yesterday either.

Glad to have him on here as a member. Hats off to a legend..  upmost respect. :4_17_5:

I think those were still 8' quarter pipes back then to, which makes that stupidly high air even that much more impressive.  Carlo always was and still is an awesome rider.

Credit where credit is due, Greg G was also getting that much air back then and on an 8' quarterpipe.

Great pics Trev, more please.

ronnie360

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:08 PM »
yes i agree a very good rider and on an 8ft 1/4 that is something else

hats of to carlo  :4_17_5:

madall

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Bigup to the wee man, Blyther was also getting massive air back in 85-86 and still gets 10 ft out today,
I think the radness has gone today all they want to do is tail whips etc dont know about you but that bores the sh-ite out of me

bsdforever

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Bigup to the wee man, Blyther was also getting massive air back in 85-86 and still gets 10 ft out today,
I think the radness has gone today all they want to do is tail whips etc dont know about you but that bores the sh-ite out of me

bit of a generalisation there mate, don't ya think?

madall

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 05:10 PM »

bit of a generalisation there mate, don't ya think?

Nope!!!!

ROLLO

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 09:24 PM »
I agree with MADALL ;) the height was amazing BITD and most ramps were only 6" wide. :idiot2: :daumenhoch:

steve1275

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 10:01 PM »
cool pics, Carlo still blows ya mind when you see him ride. so smooth and stylish, and he can tech it with the youngguns when it is needed...
Just wish i could get him out to one of the meets.

steve

Obbie

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 10:17 PM »
That air was about ten foot out , Only a year later Carlo was bustin airs closer to 15ft out in the comp were he 540ed about 8ft over rotated and bent his bike like a bannana , there was a pic put on hear a bit ago maybe on the old rad site , anyone?

Trev

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 12:40 AM »

I still think Carlo is the most gifted rider the UK has ever produced.  The thing is with people like Bestwick, Tabron, Webb etc, is that they spend a lot of time at places like Woodward where they can learn all sorts of new flips easily.  Being the best on a level playing field, like Carlo was, is much more of an achievement. It is just a shame that he happened to be in the same age group at Mat Hoffman back in the day.  Those two were the best ramp riders in the world and they weren't even pro class. If they entered the pro class back then, i'm sure they would have finished 1-2 everytime. i am so glad i was born when i was. if i was born 45 days earlier, i would have been in their age group and wouldn't have had half as many trophies as i do now.

It was always a pleasure watching Carlo ride.  He has given me such great memories. BMX Freestyle would have been a lot duller without him.

steve1275

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 12:14 PM »
yeah dude, there were no foam pits etc, it was do or die and it amazes me when you look back at pics like those and it still blows your mind.

respect

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 04:41 PM »
I agree. There must be something in the genes, to make someone as good as Carlo is.
Tabron and Bestwick in view are Stiock, Aitken and Waterman riders. They were nothing in Colin Keffords days.
I'd hate to think how good Carlo would be if he decided to keep up with today's competition.

here's a quote from an earlier thread on this site from Carlo on the passing of Neil Ruffell

"He was an amazing rider with a great style... If you saw him with those glasses on in the street you would never thought that he could ride how he did....

i was a 13 year old kid when we rode together and it seems like yesterday... I still remember he used to call craig campbell Camps... 

Riders like neil were the ones we used to look up to and gave us all great memories.."

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 04:59 PM by tricknuts »
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Obbie

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Don't sgree with that ! Tabron and Bestwick well rocked in the UKBFA days , was a bit later than 87  , about 89 90 but it was still UKBFA times , and they still learnt most all of there stuff on wood and not foom and ressys till mid nintys . I do agree with how much of an awsome rider he was tho . :4_17_5:

steve1275

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 10:44 PM »
if carlo wanted to he could shock alot of people, give him a few months at woodward and i bet he would be up there, but with smoothness and style.
I am local to him and over the years he still pulls it out the bag when he is feeling it.
It does make you wonder where he would be if he had kept competing. 
but at the end of the day he is still  riding as he is passionate about it. could you say the same for all the X games types if they were not getting paid. ???

steve

madall

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I agree, the top UK guys from BITD were the Radest and Badest dont care if there are only a few of us think so , I met Carlo at Goodwood back in 85-86 when he was doing a skyway Demo with The Campbells,Canning etc and he was getting higher air back then than Campbell, Canning and it was off one of those Bernie Vincent Pipes which were shite to say the least.The Yanks were not getting the air he was and also he was about 13 at the time so I recon if he and the other top UK guys had continued there would be no Mirra's and Bestwicks leading the x-games.

PS I recon I will get slated from the younger gen who never had the privelage of watching those guys ride

jeff spicoli

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Carlo is better than Tabron easy and could give Bestwick a run for his money.Fact

ligbee

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2006, 04:40 PM »
There really is'nt an argument here, old school has miles more style which Carlo is more than demonstrating in the pics. Forget all this tail whip air nonsense, just look at that step thru.

ligbee.

theRuler

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 09:28 PM »
the tailwhip air was first done in 85.

new school riding has more tech, but watch any props road fools vid and you will see some proper style.

true style has always been apparent, throughout the years. the only thing that changed is the clothing and bikes

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Carlo Griggs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx