gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 02:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anybody heard of these frame sets before?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anybody heard of these frame sets before?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Anybody heard of these frame sets before?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for the input Nathan, appreciate it buddy. Bare with me here though as I try to fathom all of this out please  ;D

The Silverfox ran from 1982 to 1985 with this frame and fork. The Superfox ran throughout 1983 with this frame and fork. They then changed the frame design in 1984 for the Superfox and in 1986 for the Silverfox, which again ran the same frame and fork, is that correct  ???

Silverfox ran from 83-84 and the Superfox from 83-84. Both frame sets changed in 84. The 83/84 Silverfox/Superfox do not have the same frame and fork.

Am I also correct in assuming the Superfox ran with better quality parts  ???

Slightly better parts - 3 piece crank for example (not on every model)

I read that MT stands for Ming Tien, shortened from Ming Tien Hang, and was/is the name of the company and were located in Taipei, Taiwan, and started in 1975. The "MT Racing" brand started in 1982, and they started using the MT logo when they stopped rebranding other factory's bikes and onto manufacturing their own, in their own factory in Houli, Taiwan.

Correct

Could it be possible that they did indeed supply Lotus with the Silverfox/Superfox frames only, from 1983 to 1984, for Lotus to produce the Cobra and Cobra MX-1 through to the Cobra MX-5. I assume they obtained 'round' Akisu forks instead of the Aero Akisu forks that MT were using.

Who knows for sure ? I'd be surprised if MT were supplying frame sets to anyone else once they had started to manufacture under their own name in 82 but it's not impossible  :-\
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Great info Nath  :daumenhoch:

What im struggling to understand is ....

If MT manufactured there own frames , why did they have akisu make the forks  ???  Both my Silverfox's have stamped Akisu forks and one of those is my bike from bitd so i know it is 100% original . 

From a bit of research i have done Ming Tien started out as a contract bicycle manufacturer in the late 70's  . They made other styles of bikes besides BMX , they only applied for the 'MT Racing' trademark in 83 to go on there BMX range .

The frame you have Terry looks like a true survivor to me , ie decals and paint from 83ish . It's also identical in everyway to an MT frame , even down to serial number so in my opinion it was made in the same factory .  I just don't understand the Akisu forks thing , surely if you were a business set up to manufacture bike frames you would make your own forks aswell  :-\
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Perhaps they got a job lot on the cheap.  ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Like that!!!  :daumenhoch:

Go on Terry, strip the fooker and polish it to death!!!!  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Like that!!!  :daumenhoch:

Go on Terry, strip the fooker and polish it to death!!!!  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
Pi$$ off you bike 'blinger' you  ;D   :D

No way is this little baby being stripped. I will be building it as it is   :-*
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:26 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the input Nathan, appreciate it buddy. Bare with me here though as I try to fathom all of this out please  ;D

The Silverfox ran from 1982 to 1985 with this frame and fork. The Superfox ran throughout 1983 with this frame and fork. They then changed the frame design in 1984 for the Superfox and in 1986 for the Silverfox, which again ran the same frame and fork, is that correct  ???

Silverfox ran from 83-84 and the Superfox from 83-84. Both frame sets changed in 84. The 83/84 Silverfox/Superfox do not have the same frame and fork.

Am I also correct in assuming the Superfox ran with better quality parts  ???

Slightly better parts - 3 piece crank for example (not on every model)

I read that MT stands for Ming Tien, shortened from Ming Tien Hang, and was/is the name of the company and were located in Taipei, Taiwan, and started in 1975. The "MT Racing" brand started in 1982, and they started using the MT logo when they stopped rebranding other factory's bikes and onto manufacturing their own, in their own factory in Houli, Taiwan.

Correct

Could it be possible that they did indeed supply Lotus with the Silverfox/Superfox frames only, from 1983 to 1984, for Lotus to produce the Cobra and Cobra MX-1 through to the Cobra MX-5. I assume they obtained 'round' Akisu forks instead of the Aero Akisu forks that MT were using.

Who knows for sure ? I'd be surprised if MT were supplying frame sets to anyone else once they had started to manufacture under their own name in 82 but it's not impossible  :-\

I love this factual debate stuff. Come on, let's nail this. I'm intrigued.

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Dont think there is anything to debate? Akisu were a whllesale frame manufacturer and they sold frames to countless bicycle companies because its cheaper to buy in bulk from a known supplier than to manufacture your own stuff. Tange is another example, made frames for kuwahara, Raleigh,  tioga etc. Nice mass produced frame for mid range bikes :-)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anybody heard of these frame sets before?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx