gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bleaching White Tuff's question?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bleaching White Tuff's question?  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Bleaching White Tuff's question?
« on: October 12, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Afternoon Radster's,

Just a quick question here, i have some white alloy hubbed tuffs that i have stripped down ready for bleaching, my question is.....should i soak them in neat bleach or add water too? I know i have to grease up the hubs to protect them, just wasn't sure about the bleach part. Also,how long should i leave them soaking for(that's actually 2 questions) ;D.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice ;).

Buz :daumenhoch:.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Bleaching White Tuff's question?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide is the best bet chum. Trouble is it relies on sunshine to work best, this time of year you'll be fooked im afraid  :chin:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 04:22 PM »
I agree with Chubby.I used retrobrite (based on Hydrogen Peroxide)on my last set of white Tufs.They came out cleaner and whiter after a couple of hours than other sets that have spent all week sitting in bleach.It doesnt attack alloy so no messing around greasing hubs.Ive read online you can use a UV lamp instead of sunlight but not tried this myself.

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I agree with Chubby.I used retrobrite (based on Hydrogen Peroxide)on my last set of white Tufs.They came out cleaner and whiter after a couple of hours than other sets that have spent all week sitting in bleach.It doesnt attack alloy so no messing around greasing hubs.Ive read online you can use a UV lamp instead of sunlight but not tried this myself.

sounds interesting andy
i have a few sets to do
where do i get some from ? and whats the process please
cheers

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:17 PM »
But in answer to the original question,neat bleach is best,get the Tesco value thin bleach it's about 39p a bottle,I have used this with good results on Tuffs and Zytecs.
Leave it in for a week or so though and keep checking the hubs and regressing if necessary.....

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Have you tried aquablasting them? Gets rid of 30 years of crap in about 5mins..... :daumenhoch:

Have just had a set of lavender tuffs(i stupidly dyed purple 4yrs back) :idiot2:,aqua blasted and they have come up great. The only trouble is you loose the original smooth finish that you have from when they come out of the original tooling, so i don't really wanna go down the aqua blasting route. Thanks for the suggestion though ;).

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Hydrogen peroxide is the best bet chum. Trouble is it relies on sunshine to work best, this time of year you'll be fooked im afraid  :chin:

Cheer's for that idea chubby, i have vaguely heard of the peroxide route. I think i may have to leave them till next Spring now though, wrong time of year now :'(.

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Retrobrite details: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/ and recipe: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel
I used it on some yellowed tufs and a yellowed Kashi Aero and they all came out white like new.I was very imperesed with results.  :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 11:51 AM »
When greasing up the hubs how do you do the back of them to protect them from the bleach wrecking them?how many bottles of bleach do you need? :daumenhoch:

cheers
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I used a kids paint brush to gob the backs up with grease - don't scrimp either as mine still suffered a tiny bit on the rears from black pitting.  I used 42 litres of bleach in the end even with umpteen empty pop bottles full of water to reduce the volume.  I did both wheels at once though in an underbed blanket box from Ikea.  Took 3 weeks and 4 times through the dishwasher to get them something like.
You always need a cheese option......

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 05:34 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: @ Bert i was reading that and my missus said what i was laughing then she read it she said to me dont even think about it  :D well i have 20 liters of bleach here so i need another 11 bottles,the ones were already looking at me with all the bleach,they might have thought i was going to be making a bleach bomb "wantit"

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Stunk the garage out as well........ then theirs what to do with the 42 litres when you've finished.  We had the cleanest drains in Stoke for a while.  I still have 10 litres left (just in case......)
You always need a cheese option......

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 05:55 PM »
LOL i'll give mine a good scrub first though might send the missus down for another 22 liters :D

Offline jackel

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 06:28 PM »

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23 PM »
http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/sodium-hypochlorite-1415-swhp0026.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsueiBRCT8YOM4PDElsYBEiQAaiI4ID_XAsqSGzYL56nPm7HdtfDyxV3dwazjn2rudX8HAEIaAt-48P8HAQ

Might be easier than bottles of bleach.I use loads of it treating water its basically silly strong bleach :)

Saw some of that on a job I was on today,where a swimming pool has been built as part of a new house.
That stuff is mega toxic and can kill you if you inhale the fumes neat I think.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bleaching White Tuff's question?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx