gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 03:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Can you identify these restoration pieces?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Can you identify these restoration pieces?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline cliveyp

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Can you identify these restoration pieces?
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Hi all.  New member here, but hoping you may be able to help me!

I've found these two vintage models advertised locally but am a bit unsure as to what they may be.

Appreciate any help you can give me!

Number 1 - I thought it may have been a Haro Freestyler, but there appears to be some differences around the head tube/downtube junction.  Completely thrown by the forks....

Number 2 - advertised as a Raleigh Burner 'style'.  Not running the Skyways I remember from my old Burner, and the handlebars are different from that too, so i'm clueless!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:26 AM by Jaymz »

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Can you identify these restoration pieces?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Looptail rear end too, doubt that the forks were original fitment.

Got plenty of `80's touches like the coaster tab, but lower end parts.

I'm at a loss, but someone will know more, certainly worth a punt at the right price.

Welcome to Rad anyway!

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:36 PM »

The bars on your first link look like Ammaco.  :-\  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 09:59 PM »
The first one looks like a Rickman freestyler...I will have to check....fook knows what is going on with those forks!
The second is a Mk2 burner with CW type bars...which is why it probably doesn't look like your old Mk1!
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Yup, the first one is defo a Rickman freestyler which is defo worth saving  :Great_Britain:
It may take a while to find the forks but you will find something which works  :daumenhoch:
Are you looking to buy and restore an old BMX? The Rickman will make a great project...you will find all the help you need here...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:07 PM by deeman »

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Thanks all.  With some help from friends we managed to work out the first one was likely to be a Rickman.......unfortunately I then went back to the ad and it has gone so I believe it's sold.  The Burner MK2 (if that's what it is) is still available by the looks......is that worth a punt if it's not a MK1?

Essentially I'm looking for something old skool that I can slowly restore (doesn't need to be perfect) and just nob about with......nothing more nothing less.  Bring back some childhood memories too!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Damn...should have grabbed that Rickman! how much was it out of interest?
The Burner is worth fook all really but will make an ok project if you really want to...they are shite to ride though  :daumenhoch:

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I've just messaged the guy to see if it's still available, but they're both up for £30 each......

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:22 PM »
I've just messaged the guy to see if it's still available, but they're both up for £30 each......

wow! offer him double for it! the Burner is still worth that

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 11:57 PM »
The second one is Not a  burner

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42 AM »
The second one is Not a  burner

It's a bad pic...what makes you say that?  :-\

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14 AM »
Be interested to hear what you guys think it might be. 

The Rickman has sold (or at least should be tonight) but he still has the burner style one, plus done other twin tubes - but someone has already told him he can get more for them....

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Be interested to hear what you guys think it might be. 

The Rickman has sold (or at least should be tonight) but he still has the burner style one, plus done other twin tubes - but someone has already told him he can get more for them....

It's a little hard to tell from that pic.....the pics of the Rickman were much better  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Image coding fixed :)

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Thanks for the pic fix!  :daumenhoch:

I've requested a couple of close up pics of the burner (i'll call it that until we know otherwise) to try and work out what it is.  He also has another frame the same as this, along with another twin-tube frame only.  I'm also waiting on pics of those.  Apparently, the burner ones have slightly oval tubing if that helps.....

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Both of these have been flying around facebook pages for a couple of weeks, jusdging by the fact the seller stil has them, i would presume he is wanting way too much money for them.

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Both of these have been flying around facebook pages for a couple of weeks, jusdging by the fact the seller stil has them, i would presume he is wanting way too much money for them.

This surprises me....they're both advertised on a local bikes for sale page on FB, but its the first time i've seen them on there.  They're also only £30 each.....

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:00 PM »
A few more pics of the second twin tube (another Rickman?) that he has, and of both the previously linked 'burner' and another of the same frames. 

Unfortunately now not the bargains they once were as someone has told him they're worth more, and he's reluctant to give me prices until another party has looked at them.  He just says they're "worth decent money even unidentified".... :'(

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47 PM »

This surprises me....they're both advertised on a local bikes for sale page on FB, but its the first time i've seen them on there.  They're also only £30 each.....
Wow, Id take them both for  £60. Bet the bugger wont post

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Yup, looks like another Rickman...grab it if you can!
The other frame may be something better than a Burner, like a Tange but I know fook all about race bikes...someone else will probably help you soon.
It looks as if the 'third party' may have been the person who told him they were worth more, and will probably go round and make him an offer slightly larger than £60. Shame this has happened...he advertised them for one price and should stick to it.
Do What you can to grab the Rickman but it looks as if you will miss out on them all now  :-\

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 01:25 PM »
I think the seller is full of shite, scrutinise the pics and you'll notice that hes shown us two bikes both with the same style mags and tyres fitted, and one pic reveals and extra wheel in the pic, unrelated to the other two bikes. Noone has that volume of pretty clean ogk style mags, that are the shite ones that shatter as they have the extra fins on them, without knowing what theyve got. Smells real bad to me

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49 PM »
I think the seller is full of shite, scrutinise the pics and you'll notice that hes shown us two bikes both with the same style mags and tyres fitted, and one pic reveals and extra wheel in the pic, unrelated to the other two bikes. Noone has that volume of pretty clean ogk style mags, that are the shite ones that shatter as they have the extra fins on them, without knowing what theyve got. Smells real bad to me

So what are you thinking mate?  I know he has two complete bikes (the original Rickman and 'Burner'), along with another 'Burner' with at least a rear mag, and the same with the second Rickman (another pic I had shows the one mag on the rear and no front - but with the same forks as the original Rickman pic).

I'm almost tempted to go hit him up for the original 'fake burner' for £30 and take it from there, as I think he's sticking to the advertised price on that one.  The remaining 'fake burner' and Rickman are the ones that he's hinting towards wanting more for - especially the Rickman.

I had noticed that the first Rickman and 'Burner' we're wearing the same mags and saddle so wasn't sure if there was some sly component shifting on the go....

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Somethings not right, they been floating around for too long, ive seen a dozen threads on faceache asking for ID's. But my question is this, and its simple, if they were originally available for £30 each, why did noone snap his hand off instantly. anything with a twin top is guaranteed to be worth at least £100 for frame and forks, no matter who its made by, it could be made by chocolate teapots and co but its twin top tubes therefore desirable. Why havent they sold? For £60 for the pair, you buy first ask what they are second, its a guaranted bargain, so why has noone bought them, noones bought them because they either arent for sale or the seller is a mate of captain birdseye and he knows what hes got and hes luring in big bids for what he has.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:26 PM by Jaymz »

Offline cliveyp

• Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I completely understand your logic - I havent been searching for a BMX for long having only recently decided that I might be able to pick up a bargain somewhere and do it myself rather than get one that has already had a fortune thrown at it and therefore reflecting in the asking price - a result of this being that i've not seen these being banded around already.  I'm sure i'll find out a bit more as I chat to the guy later, but from what you've said it certainly sounds suss.

I have only just signed up to these groups to find out more details because I found these at this time, but with the help you guys have given me I can see its somewhere to keep visiting regardless of what I manage to get hold of.  If he'll let the fake-burner go for £30, i'll almost tempted to grab it and see what happens....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Can you identify these restoration pieces?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx