gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  USA vs UK BMX frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: USA vs UK BMX frames  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Jon.l

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
USA vs UK BMX frames
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:30 PM »
 "help". Hi guys I initially posted this question in the "welcome" forum so apologies if you are reading the same question. I am looking for an old school bmx but looking on  :feebay: I can only find frames that are very costly. I was thinking of looking on USA e bay for a frame but are US frames a different spec from UK. My concern would be I would have to end up sourcing all the parts from the USA which could also prove costly. Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: USA vs UK BMX frames
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Hiya Jon ............wellllllcome to rad -- in the end you'll probably be buying some stuff from over there, too anyway, so just stick around, snoop around, and the rest is just addiction :LolLolLolLol: -- oh, and get a site tag, so you can sort some parts from fellow Radsters, too ;)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Hi mate

It might help if you share what you're looking to build.  Most of the British brands will, unsurprisingly, be easier to source the parts in the UK.

US eBay can have more parts and often at cheaper prices but once you factor in shipping and import charges rarely will you find yourself better off and if the seller has enrolled on eBay's global shipping program you can forget it.

Start with wanted posts on the UK forums, then the US Museum failing that take a look at eBay then US eBay but for most of us eBay is a last resort.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I bought loads of frames and full bike from the U.S if you really want something it doesnt matter about money....but  :welcome to the forum great guys on here and am sure they will help you out if you need something someone usually has something or they know someone who has :daumenhoch:    .... Hey fischflo what is the tag?

regards Graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline Jon.l

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the great replies and warm welcome. I was also wondering what the "Tag" was. I was looking at maybe doing a burner up if the opportunity came up or at least a good imitation!. Black frame, red mag wheels, gold brake levers that kind of thing.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Here you go, Graham :LolLolLolLol:
Site supporter Tag - lets you post in Sales/Wanted threads - now you CAN "set up and auto payment for your site tag, it will remember the date and automatically buy your tag again for you after 12 months  :daumenhoch:"
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,164954.0.html

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13 PM »
To answer your actual question, NO there isn't a difference with Old School BMX spec whether it's from the US or UK.
There are exceptions to the rule ie Mk1 Burners have a larger diameter seat post, check the size of bottom brackets.
One piece cranks fit in what are known as US bottom brackets. 3 piece cranks fitted a specific axle which can be fitted to US, Euro (threaded) and Spanish (also threaded) bottom brackets.

In GENERAL Old School headsets are 1" (21.1mm) THREADED. Mid onwards are 1 1/8" threaded or even unthreaded.

An old School BMX GENERALLY have a US bottom bracket and 1" threaded headset.

It always pays to check first though. Unless you are going for a certain spec most parts are easily found in the UK. As saod above, get yourself a SST and but off here. Folks are keen to help and it's cheaper than ebay :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:19 PM »
< This is a Site Supporters Tag

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I didn't realize there was a site supporter tag to enable you to buy & sell. I have just paid my subs.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:45 PM »
I didn't realize there was a site supporter tag to enable you to buy & sell. I have just paid my subs.

good lad :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Here you go, Graham :LolLolLolLol:
Site supporter Tag - lets you post in Sales/Wanted threads - now you CAN "set up and auto payment for your site tag, it will remember the date and automatically buy your tag again for you after 12 months  :daumenhoch:"
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,164954.0.html

Ah i already have it lol am a thicko thought it might show something below your pic or something :daumenhoch:
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  USA vs UK BMX frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx