gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 01:07 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Am stumped with these wheels?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Am stumped with these wheels?  (Read 950 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Am stumped with these wheels?
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Rite guys it seems the 184mm is to short my mistake lol so have it laced 186mm 4x long nipples it seems that spokes are to long and the 4x spokes are to short,anyone laced araya 48h 7x,why does it work out 186mm on the calculator yet there too long and too small?

I have had these rims dismantled & rebuilt 6 times now and nothing just seems to be right,when i have the first 2 lots of spokes in and twist the hub anti clockwise the nipples dont poke through,but the all come through if turned clockwise but the its the spoke at the valve hole lyes towards it and not away from it,is there a certain way a 48h araya should be laced etc i have even tried to follow the 1 video on youtube but that still didnt turn out right.

cheers graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Am stumped with these wheels?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Sounds like you have the crosses in the wrong places, have you had a look at Stidds guide to wheel building?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:26 PM »
yeah, probably best to start right next to the hole to make sure the spokes won't cross above the valve.

and here's a good lookin How to (lace a 48 spoke) link kindly provided by nospickben  yeah :slayer:
http://www.gsport.co.uk/custom/wheel_build/wheels.html  :chin: well then
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:42 PM by fischflo »

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Ive started at the hole next to the valve hole,yeah i checked out stidds,would be good if someone had an update youtube vid on lacing a 48h wheel its doing my head in coz the spokes are all different sizes once laced yet there all 186mm with long nipples,even tried using short nipples.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Cheers for the link i had already followed this one before for 36h,and think i had followed it for doing these fooking 48h.

rite tell me this am going to lace another set off rims ive done all the measuring and it working out at 188mm but i only got 186mm so will they be ok to use with short nips or long nips? :daumenhoch:

cheers graham

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:02 PM »
when you do the first set of inbound spokes, don't screw the nipples on any more than a couple of turns. when you start on the outbound spokes you cross over three then pass the spoke under the fourth, with a 48 build it will actually look like it only crosses 3 spokes because the first one it crosses will probably be hidden a bit behind the hub flange, so make sure your not trying to cross over 5. it should look like this.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48 PM »
cheers John thats the way i got the 48s done :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:57 PM »
find a built wheel and copy it :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Hey swanguy i tried that before and got lost doing it  :LolLolLolLol: am a thicko when it comes to stuff like that  :crazy2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Am stumped with these wheels?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx