gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:59 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Newbie help please. Tange Headset
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newbie help please. Tange Headset  (Read 1382 times)

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Newbie help please. Tange Headset
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Hi

In the process of bringing a Mongoose Cali back to life. Just purchased a Tangeseiki  headset but cannot get the bottom headset over the threaded forks. The headset does not have a thread so assumed would slip straight over. Have I bought the wrong headset or are my forks the wrong ones that were originally on this bike?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Newbie help please. Tange Headset
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Put some pictures up as it doesn't sound right?

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 04:52 PM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53 PM »

Sorry forgot to post forks

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Is it only a cats whisker off going on or quite a margin. If the former, sit the ring on a hot plate or stove so it expands slightly then seat it square and tap down with a long section of tube which either matches the diameter of the inner section of ring or the outer. Dont hit it around the bearing curved section... if that makes sense  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02 PM »
That's the bearing race that fits onto the bottom of the stearer tube. It doesn't screw on... it needs tw@ting on with a hammer.  :daumenhoch:
I use this
A piece of (I think it's 25mm ) copper pipe and keep belting it till it's on.  :daumenhoch:
Oh, put a bit of grease or vaseline around the raised part of the tube to ease it in/on... you know the score.   ;)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Is it only a cats whisker off going on or quite a margin. If the former, sit the ring on a hot plate or stove so it expands slightly then seat it square and tap down with a long section of tube which either matches the diameter of the inner section of ring or the outer. Dont hit it around the bearing curved section... if that makes sense  :daumenhoch:
The hot plate/stove is a good idea too...  put some fookin gloves on tho.  :shocked:  :LolLolLolLol:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Cheers guys, I will give it a go. :)

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36 PM »
That's the bearing race that fits onto the bottom of the stearer tube. It doesn't screw on... it needs tw@ting on with a hammer.  :daumenhoch:
I use this
A piece of (I think it's 25mm ) copper pipe and keep belting it till it's on.  :daumenhoch:
Oh, put a bit of grease or vaseline around the raised part of the tube to ease it in/on... you know the score.   ;)
I'd  turn it upside down then put wood on the bottom of the steer tube and twat that so the copper tube is against the ground, doing it the way it is in the photo runs the risk of damaging the fork drop outs :daumenhoch: if that makes any sense :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40 PM »

Sorry forgot to post forks

Looks like your forks have been rechromed?  ???

If this is the case, then you'll struggle.  :-\

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

rodriguez

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40 PM »
There are two sizes of crown race 26.4mm and 27mm.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

I had a set of forks recently that were 27mm although it's only .6mm if that's what it is that crown race will never fit.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39 AM »
I use this
I'd  turn it upside down then put wood on the bottom of the steer tube and twat that so the copper tube is against the ground, doing it the way it is in the photo runs the risk of damaging the fork drop outs :daumenhoch: if that makes any sense :LolLolLolLol:
Fookin hell mate it's not a square peg in a round hole and usually doesnt take much tw@ting to get on. Put the timber under the dropouts whilst belting the other end with your best Franz. Cr-Mo v's 3×2... there's only gonna be one winner.  Done this many times without any damage to any forks I have abused in this way.   :D

"WWG1WGA"

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I use a file and/or a dremmel to shave a bit of the forks. Each to their own. Whatever works for you is good  :daumenhoch:

Offline uk-fresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Cheers Guys

Took all advice, filed down slightly, heated up and put metal tube over and banged it one. Lovely!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Newbie help please. Tange Headset

gfxgfx
gfx gfx