gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Scott Mathauser finned brake pad dating
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Scott Mathauser finned brake pad dating  (Read 1132 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Scott Mathauser finned brake pad dating
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Hi all,

Does anybody have information on dating the various finned Scott Mathauser brake pads? I have had two pairs of these arrive in the past few days and am trying to determine some sort of time frame for them. I have read online (on forums, not official websites) that the more desirable curved items (Gen 1) were launched first. Dates i have discovered so far indicate late 70's - early 80's, with Scott taking over with the Gen 2 (without the Mathauser name) in '82.

From this I can assume the curved Mathauser-named pair i have are late 70's to early 80's, and the NOS Scott Superbrake variety are '82 onwards.

Does anybody know more specifics as his seems somewhat vague to me??? I see lots of BOTM builds on here using them.

Curved (Gen 1?):

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:59 AM by dinglem »
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Scott Mathauser finned brake pad dating
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Straight (Gen 2):

The actual pads slide into these and are then held in, whereas the Gen 1's are glued in position. Lots of mixed information online and I have just edited my first post after a little more research. Does anybody have any definitive information on these apart from that they look kinda funky?!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:01 AM by dinglem »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34 AM »
As far as I am aware, you have the information pretty well nailed. I was told by a veteran Museum member that Scott changed the design due to cost purposes from the curved to striaght and that replacing the pads were far easier by removing the pins and fitting replacements than removing the glued ones.

I think your dates are just about right  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation mate. They look awesome, and luckily the curved ones are barely worn and the straight ones are NOS so plenty of life left in them both  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Scott Mathauser finned brake pad dating

gfxgfx
gfx gfx