gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 11:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  CHROME REDLINE RL-20??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CHROME REDLINE RL-20??  (Read 13627 times)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
CHROME REDLINE RL-20??
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a complete factory chrome RL-20 PROSTYLER? I am talking about the 85 spec factory completes.The full chromoly with 5" headtube, not the later tri moly ones with the new graphics. I have looked hard and can't seem to find an image of one anywhere. All the tests/builds/pics seem to show the iconic white with white wheels etc. I am curious to see what the chrome complete looked like in particular the colourway . Anyone got an image or link?
Damo  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
Re: CHROME REDLINE RL-20??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47 AM »
I'm a prostyler fan and researched them quite a bit - but I've never seen a Redline catalouge with a chrome one in or an advert for a complete chrome one. I seen scores of adverts for the chrome frames. The museum has a ratio of about 5 to 1 white vs chrome so I guess they just weren't popular, in fact, freestyle at that stage was really all about white and then coloured / fluro frames sets.

Id be really interested to know if anyone actually bought a complete factory spec'd Prostyler - most of us bought F+F back then.

When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I'm a prostyler fan and researched them quite a bit - but I've never seen a Redline catalouge with a chrome one in or an advert for a complete chrome one. I seen scores of adverts for the chrome frames. The museum has a ratio of about 5 to 1 white vs chrome so I guess they just weren't popular, in fact, freestyle at that stage was really all about white and then coloured / fluro frames sets.

Id be really interested to know if anyone actually bought a complete factory spec'd Prostyler - most of us bought F+F back then.

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking the same myself...not many people probably bought them bitd. The chrome finish may possibly have cost more too as it usually did back then. I find it strange that there does not appear to be a single picture of a factory chrome bike anywhere on the net! I have looked on the museum too and can't find an early chrome bike on there. As you said, most people probably bought a F+F back then and not many factory completes were sold.
 I was curious about the colourway of the chrome bikes....i.e were the wheels white or black? what colour was the seat? did they use a black headset still or was it chrome? etc etc. as I was considering building one. Something curious I found was that the test bike in FREESTYLIN' magazine seemed to have a slightly different spec to the actual completes that were offered later which came with O.G.K's not PEREGRINE MASTER wheels and a black seat instead of a white one....maybe a bit of craftiness on Redline's part?!

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23 PM »
The chrome F+F were the same price as the white - see the advert, 169 dollars bitd.

I've got that edition of Freestylin' - RL is never ever pictured riding the catalogue / stock prostyler. In fact, he's never riding the same build twice, ever! I'd of thought though if they did do a stock chrome prostyler all the components would be black with chrome bars seatpost and opc. I think black so as to tie in with the decals.

I could talk all day about the prostylers, hugely underated imo.

If you build it let me know, but I'm with the majority, the white is by far the best, but I'm now wondering if a chrome F+F with white masters and red anno parts would work?!! Perhaps worth checking the builds of some of the PL20's?
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53 PM »
The chrome F+F were the same price as the white - see the advert, 169 dollars bitd.

I've got that edition of Freestylin' - RL is never ever pictured riding the catalogue / stock prostyler. In fact, he's never riding the same build twice, ever! I'd of thought though if they did do a stock chrome prostyler all the components would be black with chrome bars seatpost and opc. I think black so as to tie in with the decals.

I could talk all day about the prostylers, hugely underated imo.

If you build it let me know, but I'm with the majority, the white is by far the best, but I'm now wondering if a chrome F+F with white masters and red anno parts would work?!! Perhaps worth checking the builds of some of the PL20's?

Yup, I agree.....I am surprised there are not more of them about, Don't seem to get much love! I was thinking it would probably have black components too on the chrome frame. I am on the verge of completing a white one as I have wanted one since seeing the test in FREESTYLIN' all that time ago. The geometry on the RL is probably the closest to new school than any other old school bike so I am hoping it will ride nice! Just need to go and pay the £30 or so customs charges they slapped on my STR bars I got from the states and it's more or less done! I have been stashing parts for months now!! I will post it up once done.... :daumenhoch:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00 PM »

I will post it up once done.... :daumenhoch:
[/quote]
look forward to seeing it. Sorry the threads been hi jacked by white prostylers, but I love em.

I'm in exactly the same position, i.e. I've got a NOS white Prostyler - well it was NOS but losing its finish, never ridden, so it was it powdered..drop outs are perfect. I'm planning to get this built for MK15 (crazy I know but I work long hours) Perhaps we should make up Redline Freestyle Corner?!

some very minty masters....

a great set of flights.....

a good set of rechromed forklifters...

a NOS pair of graflight x's

a minty peregrine seat....

NOS dia compe calipers and levers with some minty diacompe cables...

and some release dust covered NOS Panaracers....

Ive also got a set of the front pegs and rear standers ready to go with a pair of minty Oakleys...

And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Ha! your parts stash looks more or less like mine! I have a pair of Kenda k55's at the moment as a temporary measure until I find a pair of panaracers at a reasonable price! Yours will be something special with all those minty parts! My Peregrine Masters are not quite as nice but passable after a lot of sanding! I am going for as close to the spec in FREESTYLIN' mag test as I possibly can. I have the Red/white version of those Oakleys but would like the ones you have ideally! I am not putting those nasty plastic Fuan's on! Will you be running a forklifter stem? Yea a Prostyler corner sounds like a great idea!
Where did you score the framestanders and pegs? I have 1 Nos framestander on the way to me now, I was thinking about maybe trying to get a second reproduced for the other side....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:17 AM by deeman »

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:05 AM »
Yeah, white forklifter stem and black headset (tange). framestander and pegs where a buy from ebay usa.
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Yeah, white forklifter stem and black headset (tange). framestander and pegs where a buy from ebay usa.

SNAP, white forklifter too!

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28 PM »
Loving all of that. I'm fired up to get mine built up now.....i much prefer the white seat to the black....
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44 PM »
Loving all of that. I'm fired up to get mine built up now.....i much prefer the white seat to the black....

Yup, definitely the white seat for me too. I wanted it done for the summer but parts have taken too long! I hope when Ihave mine finished it might give you the inspiration to do yours before MK!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Just the 3 of us interested in the ol RL20 then? :) Before I built up my RL's I spotted this pic on the BMX muso a good few years ago.

This guy had a nice collection of chrome RL's

I then set out to get a chrome one, something different like you mentioned. Back then I didn't realise the 4" / 5" headtube difference, and only later spotted this guy's RL20 was a later one :-[ So like you say guy's no chrome RL20's anywhere :wtf:

I know you've both seen my RL20, that's why I changed to blue in the end, just wanted something a bit different ;)

This is another pic I found of an RL20II, forget chrome ;D

By the way fella's, look forward to seeing these babies built up, should be spot on, with those parts. NOS graphites ::) nice find McQueen
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:26 PM by Faze 3 »

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I'm sure that Gold RL was on eBay last year, not sure if it ever sold....

Working away in the background, I managed to find time to clean up and polish my set of rear standers, templated and added the grip tape this weekend.

Faze 3, what happened to the blue RL, is it still built up? One of the better builds on this site imo! Interesting on the 4 or 5" headtube, I thought they were all 5".

And BMX.

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I bet who ever owns it wanted thousands ::) for that gold RL, the work that went into it :buck2:

My RL's are in the loft now, in fact all my bikes are up there :-\ I'm into collecting just freestyle f&F's now. For my shelf of retroness! Glad you liked it when it was built up fella. Did you get those rear stands off the bay a few months ago? I think they went pretty cheap? I bid on them and was miffed at how little they eventually went for, you never see um come up. I might still have a set of RL front pegs in the loft, if you need a set?

I'm not an expert on RL's, but I think the 5" head tube was only used from 84 to 85, on the RL20, RL20b and RL20II. The 4" headtube models seem to go for a fair bit less ;)

Waiting to see the build now then fella ;)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 12:40 AM »
...getting there, waiting on a crank and tyres to arrive!

This needs a partner!

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 12:12 PM »
oh dear an orphan platform, you could be waiting years to get the other :P

To quote blackadder.......bugger :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19 PM »

unless I get someone to fabricate another........! :angel:
I just thought it was worth having as it is nos...but yeah could be a long wait!!  ::)

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Am I going to have to wait for you to find the other one, before you build up your RL then?

I don't know if I can wait that long ;D

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13 PM »

I just thought it was worth having as it is nos...but yeah could be a long wait!!  ::)
Deeman, just found these on the bay.............
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-BMX-Redline-Frame-Standers-RL-20-A-Prostyler-GT-CW-SE-HARO-HUTCH-/201163832749?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-BMX-Redline-Frame-Standers-RL-20-A-Prostyler-GT-CW-SE-HARO-HUTCH-/201163832749?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Nice one! asked him if he will shipto uk!  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Am I going to have to wait for you to find the other one, before you build up your RL then?

I don't know if I can wait that long ;D

:LolLolLolLol: nah I will get it built asap! waiting for panaracers now!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38 PM »
This guy has a set in the US as well, and will ship. Never seen um with the edges like this, I guess they made them later like it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-BMX-Redline-Frame-Standers-For-RL-20-A-Prostyler-GT-CW-SE/131285078412?_trksid=p2050601.c100269.m3464&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813133143%26meid%3Da338e6e2f8d7452f99aad201f26342ab%26pid%3D100269%26prg%3D20140813133143%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D131285078412%26clkid%3D335258208422507386&_qi=RTM1562569

Looking forward to seeing it then Deeman, get cracking >:D

Nice one, I did see those ones, they are the later type and too strong money for my liking! tyres arrived today-won't be long to wait!  :daumenhoch:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24 PM »
 :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  ;)
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »

Fooking gutted, missed these today. Was helping a mate out at his house and got distracted. Well pissed off!  >:( >:(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  CHROME REDLINE RL-20??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx