gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 27, 2024, 09:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Odyssey Springfield brake
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Odyssey Springfield brake  (Read 1488 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Odyssey Springfield brake
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I'm having a head scratching moment.  I'm trying to fit my Springfield brake onto my Hoffman TAJ but it doesn't have the mid frame cable stop bit that would mean I could run the straddle cable in front of the seat tube.  I only have the option of running the cable to the seat tube and having the hanger behind.  There is a little screw in bit that came with the brakes but I have no idea what it does.  I suspect that his may be the solution to my problem.  Does anyone understand what I'm on about and can you help me?

Here is a picture of the components......

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Odyssey Springfield brake
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Go in front of seat tube

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19 PM »
The little screw in thingy is to allow you to cut the straddle cable to the length you require
2 minutes turkish...

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I front of the seat tube isn't an option as there isn't a bracket thingy to stop the cable mid frame.  I thought that's what the little screw thing might be but I'm obviously being thick.  If I cut the straddle cable and run it through the hole in the little screw thingy.  What actually holds the cable in???  Why is this not clicking in my mind???

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54 PM »
It should have a little grub screw to secure the cable
2 minutes turkish...

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:02 PM »
That picture shows everything in the kit.  Do you suppose it's the ilttle black cable end thing and I'm supposed to just crimp it on??  That doesn't seem like it would hold that great under a big pull.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11 PM »
No that's just to stop the cut off cable end fraying, you sure there's no grub screw in the thing that looks like a bolt in your pic?
2 minutes turkish...

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Cut One end off the straddle cable & use the little hex headed part with the grub screw in the other end, next to the spring in Your pic. The cable goes through the hole, adjust to the correct length & nip up the grub screw.  :daumenhoch: 
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Absolutely positive.  That picture shows everything.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14 PM »
OK, I think i've got enough to at least go and have a closer look at the parts again and come up with a plan.  Will let you know how I get on in the morning.  At work until 8  >:(

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:23 AM »
can you bang up a picture of your frame?  sounds like you don't have a cable stop on the frame?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:56 PM »
The cable stop on a Taj goes through the bottom of the seat tube Rob, the straddle cable & hanger attach behind it.  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Nice one chaps.  Got it sorted.  It seems that that little screw in fella doesn't actually screw into anything.  The thread bit has a hole for a tiny allen key so all I had to do was cut the straddle cable, thread it through the hole and the tighten up that little allen key thread ooojit when the cable was the right length.  I now have a working rear brake.

Although I've gone for a left hand lever and I'm not totally convinced I like that.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53 PM »
The cable stop on a Taj goes through the bottom of the seat tube Rob, the straddle cable & hanger attach behind it.  :daumenhoch:

Ooops of course, doh  :-[

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Odyssey Springfield brake

gfxgfx
gfx gfx