gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 07:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which Scoprion Brakedancer is this???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which Scoprion Brakedancer is this???  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Lamby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Which Scoprion Brakedancer is this???
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Hi all

I'm trying to identify which model Scorpion Brakedancer this is:- http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/scorpion/76097

S/N starts: SCW411

It doesn't have the "loops" welded by the rear dropouts and info/pics on the web of these seem to be scarce

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Greg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:07 PM by Lamby »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Which Scoprion Brakedancer is this???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Cheers Lamby

i reall dig te dancer, but have no idea of the models, but i'll get the ball rolling anyway :D.

first of all, all the later than 84 models on the bmxmuseum seem to have them loops, there is also an '84 with loops (apparently an SF201 http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/scorpion/70451) but i'd guess you'rs is an 84 anyway. Haven't looked into this yet but your serial might indicate that year.

Something makes you think yours is a SF201 ............... well ok
There seem to have been several different models.

Here Del posts some pics (http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68442.0.html reply#6):
The first shows that a SF101 would have cost 155 bitd, and a SF201 180 pnds.
The second pic shows a ZF100.

According to this test (cheers Moley) of the ZF100....
http://www.bmx-recollection.com/Downloads/Archive/Bike%20%26%20Product%20Tests/Scorpion%20ZF100%20Brakedancer%20Test%20-%20Freestyle%20BMX%20Volume1%20Issue15.pdf
... there were also two other models:.
THe ZF101, and the ZF 201.
the ZF100 was cromoly chromoly chrome moly whatever   and just F+F 139 pnds.
the ZF101 was HiTensile with alloys and complete bike for 155, and the ZF201 was a complete with ACORN mags, cost you 180 available from Halfords; think it also had the third brake, like the ZF100.

Here is the first page of that SF ad (hiho ORBio)
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63721.0.html (reply#13)
and there you see again,that also an SF model would/could have them loops.

Well, what's the difference between ZF and SF ............ i do not know.
(but QuadPaul quotes something here, that shows that the differences between the sf100, 101, 201 were analogue (word?) to them of the zf's).

Big question ...............so why a) doesn't yours have them loops, and b) how do you know it's an SF201? "help"

, welcome to rad'd.co.uk btw ;)

edit:
heres a pic (http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68442.0.html) of a ZF100 (belongs to fouronethreeoh!#s mate, way back) and it doesn't seem to have the loops.
edit: ...looked again, might have some sort of loops after all ...lol
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:50 PM by fischflo »

Offline brakedancer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29 PM »
looks like a early one by the forks the later forks look more like landing gear ones....

I would say the rear standers have been removed.... ;)

Offline Lamby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the comprehensive response fischflo  :daumenhoch: and of course your post brakedancer

On the advert scan Del posted (ZF100) the frame standers are on the chainstay whereas the frame standers on the Scorpion SF201 where angled between the chainstay and the seatstay

I don't know that mine is an SF201 and still puzzled as to why the frame standers are missing. I can't see any evidence that that they were there if they have been sawn off  :-\

I guess I've got what I've got and will use the decals sent with the F+F which are for the SF201. I'm not going to be too precious that it may not be correct. I've got other builds which are based on a catalogue and anyways, bitd we may have had a full bike bought for us but how long did they last like that before components were changed  :D

I'd like to run the 3 brake calipers and have seen this:

Does anyone know what lever I could use to match it? DC 183 (Tech-5)?

Cheers

Lamby

Offline brakedancer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05 PM »
really early brakedancers had the standers straight.. later ones and the more common..(halford) ones, had angled standers

so with none at all its hard to tell really what yours is the forks on yours look like early ones

all the brakedancers ive seen with them forks were full cromo , hard to tell as there are no distinguishing marks to tell the difference

as both the zf100 and the sf201 are identical frames to look at....

as for the lever a tech 5 would work fine with that.....

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:19 PM »
awesome 8)  brakedancer breakin it down :slayer:

Offline Lamby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14 AM »
 :daumenhoch:
really early brakedancers had the standers straight.. later ones and the more common..(halford) ones, had angled standers

so with none at all its hard to tell really what yours is the forks on yours look like early ones

all the brakedancers ive seen with them forks were full cromo , hard to tell as there are no distinguishing marks to tell the difference

as both the zf100 and the sf201 are identical frames to look at....

as for the lever a tech 5 would work fine with that.....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Which Scoprion Brakedancer is this???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx