gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fork Dropout Repairs - good to go or just say no?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fork Dropout Repairs - good to go or just say no?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Fork Dropout Repairs - good to go or just say no?
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:22 AM »
I've been distracted from my Laserlite build by the possibility of another grail purchase!  :crazy2:

The problem is that the fork dropouts have been repaired so I'm not sure I want to risk buying and, more importantly, riding a bike that has had dropout issues. Here are some before and after pictures for your viewing pleasure:-

As you can see, the drops were welded and cleaned up, then the forks rechromed. So what do you think - ok to buy and ride, or forget about it and finish off the Kuwi!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:40 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Fork Dropout Repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Look a bit thin now , I would find another set.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Fork Dropout Repairs
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I think Thruster dropouts are on the thin side to begin with so yeah, that could be a good call.  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

rodriguez

Re: Fork Dropout Repairs - good to go or just say no?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Nope, I wouldn't buy those doesn't look like a very good repair to me.

I would have preferred to buy them damaged and get the work done myself.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:17 PM »
They do look a little thin but would need to compare with an og set to really make a call.  Ask Andy68 for a pic as I think he has a Thruster with similar forks.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:11 PM »
I think thruster forks are one of the nicest shape forks made, but as rodriguez said i would rather have seen the repair for myself before chroming, anyway that's not how I would have repaired them, i would have cut the drop out off and re made the complete dropouts and welded them to the fork like the originals  rather than adding metal to damaged ones.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:18 PM by snoopy72 »

griff

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:36 AM »

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Right chaps, here's mine...... they are very thin as standard. If they weren't cracked and just filled perhaps ok?

I have the Vanishing Point and Tri Power forks, different shapes at steerer tube but dropouts the same. Neither welded on inside apart from the earlier VP dropout is welded above the half moon cut-out. Does that make sense??? Welded both sides where it meets the bottom of fork.  :daumenhoch:

The VPs

The Tri Powers

:daumenhoch:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:28 PM »
They're certainly not cheap if you find another set, Im not sure, if it was me I'd walk away unless you can get a good price?  :daumenhoch:

Not that it matters too much, I could be wrong but I thought all chrome framesets had blue decals.  ???

Hope that helps Mick  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:36 PM by Andy68 »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 01:29 AM »
That's brilliant info Andy - you're the man!  :bow:

So the general consensus is that I should pass on these, as nice and shiny as they are, on that basis that all that glitters isn't gold!  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys - my wallet and Laserlite both appreciate it!  ;)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:01 AM »
No problem at all Mick  :daumenhoch:

I think you need to go with your head on this one and not your heart. You've obviously got doubts so how much would it play on your mind you wished you'd held out for one without repairs. Could be made worse if you end up stung with import duty etc on top of a big spend. Just saying.........  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fork Dropout Repairs - good to go or just say no?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx