gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 07:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Hoffman Big Daddy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hoffman Big Daddy  (Read 5398 times)

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Hoffman Big Daddy
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:49 PM »
The Prodigal Daddy returns

Like a lot of us in the 80s I lived for my bike. I first had a bmx in 1982, a Huffy Pro Thunder 3 SE, “progressed” to a burner, then a supergoose 3, a trm, diamond back and onto Haro, first a blue sport to be like Wilkerson and a red FST to be like Blyther.  I was an OK rider.

Being close to Cardiff I was fortunate to be a regular attendee of the “ramp room”. As Andy Reardon was a top Pro back then, there were always riders from all around coming down there, it was an experience to see them in action,    

I slowly stopped riding in the late 80’s, where the pub etc took over!!  I kept buying all the mags but didn’t ride that often. Many of you have bought them from me on ebay!! Cheers!!

I still had the FST, now sprayed british racing green with Woody Bars, Anlun Stem  and Flights, and had to take my parents to a wedding in Bath in about 93. I had been to the Victoria Park ramps a few times and seen the BCR jams  so I took my bike along this time. Phil Dolan was in the park that day, so I got chatting and he showed us some moves, amazing skills.  At this time I was starting to get hooked again, A few months later I sold the Haro for £50(without the fights) bought a Shredder dlx and tried my hand at it. I was still too old and fat back then!!  I also had a go at some spoof brand t-shirts which I shifted at some events to pay for my trips. If I find any I’ll post them on here for a laugh.

1996 a mate of mine at the time had a bashguard master, he loved haro stuff and one Saturday morning my travelled up to Dai Leisure Brierey Hill near Dudley, where he bought this brand new Blammo. In the shop they had this red Big Daddy. I totally loved it. I went back home and that week was selling a set of drums, so the £500 for that went straight to Backyard for a chrome complete Big Daddy.

During this time, I also picked up a brand new Morales flatland frame, Kore straight forks and depending on my mood would swap the bits around to ride each of the bikes. My mate broke his knee in the SK8 Extreme park in Newport and after that his Mrs wouldn’t let him ride. The bikes were used less and less.

In 2003 I had a call from another mate, asking if I wanted to shift any of my stuff, at this time I didn’t but a few months later my Mrs was pregnant and we were saving for a deposit. I let the Morales frameset  go for £100 and the Hoffman for £250. By this time it had the flights on, super 7x with GSport  front hubs, static coaster, V monsters and graveyard sprockets front and rear. Real tricked out. I also chucked in original redline flight 44T and 36T chainrings, haro kneesavers and more as I wouldn’t need them again. Just wish I had photos of them.

Last year I moved on my Diamond back F&F on,I also still had my goose, both listed in ebay for 99p along with some bits I had left. I wasn’t planning at this time for a comeback.

In October 2012, I bought my 5 year old  a GT Jamie Bestwick 16” off ebay for £30. I’m now itching for one. I had tried to locate my bits but was told they were long gone. Morales in Newbury somewhere, the Lovehandles up north, the flights in Kent, well gutted, I knew the guy had sold them for a nice profit!! That’s life!!!

The Mrs had told me that if I got a bike I was back living with my Dad!! Ironically the day I picked  up the GT I bumped into another local rider of my own age, asked him did he have the Hoffman I had, as I had heard he was about the 4th owner down the line. He said No!! I was gutted, then he said my neice has it!! A call and a day later the bike shown below was back mine for £50. It wasn’t in best condition compared to the minter I had owned but I had it! It was well ridden and abused. Just like it should be!! The only parts left from when I sold it was the F&F, seat clamp and primo seat, the haro bars I’d chucked in to the Morales deal.

Welsh Denny put me onto this site, I must say that I have enjoyed my short time on here, wish I had done it earlier. Hope you enjoy the photos below. I’ve built the bike up not as a show bike but as a rider as I do intend to learn/relearn some trick, or just have some fun with my kids. I wanted to ride, I don’t want to be some 43 year old lycra clad cyclist on a mtb or road bike.

The parts I have put on there I’ve got from here or the bay and from some shops. I’ve not got a lot of free time these days, it’s taken me a while but I am pleased with the result. I know some of the parts are not age correct but it’s a rider.  

If I could I would have changed a few parts, stem cranks bars but there you are!! My funds were very limited so I couldn’t spend too much. It’s not perfect but its my one and only and I do intend to ride it. Thanks for taking your time to read this, sorry if its long winded but I expect we all have stories like this.

Thanks to Denny for putting on here and keeping the welsh scene alive, Dordy, Gav, Ed for parts, Voivod for the Haro stickers and Del for the BD decals and everyone who has given me advice and help, you lot for posting your magnificent bikes and anyone who has bought bits and bobs off me in the past to help me fund this.

Garran

Frame: 1996 Hoffman Big Daddy (HKF serial)
Fork: 1996 Hoffman Big Daddy
Decals: by Del
Stem: Diamond Back
Bars:  Haro Kneesavers
Brake Levers: DiaCompe Tech 77
Brakes: DiaCompe Hombre Fiesta Front + Rear, DMR Front AD plate
Gyro: SST Oryg  with g sport headset lock, Ruption gyro cover
Cables:  SST Oryg and Odyssey slic, Odyssey knarps, peace cable hanger!
Grips:  AME tri
Seat Post: Straight
Seat Clamp: Hoffman Double Bolt
Seat: Primo Steroid
Cranks:  Generic 175mm sprayed with Hoffman decals
Sprocket: Profile Imperial 39T
Pedals: Primo Strickler clear
Hubs: Haro Megahubs
Rims: Araya 7x 48
Tyres: United Direct
Tubes: Tesco
Pegs:  Haro Fusion
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:22 AM by ED209 »

m1ke

Re: Hoffman Big Daddy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:00 PM »
very nice that mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Love it Garran!  Youve done a great job with the build mate  :daumenhoch:

Nice story to go with it.......those wheels look great on it  ;)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:24 PM »
thats come out great garren  8).
the stickers have made all the difference.
really like that mate  :daumenhoch:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Nice bike and a cool story behind it  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Like I said before its awesome you managed to get your old bike back. It cleaned up really nice.  :daumenhoch:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Mdbh

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:23 AM »
+1 top job fella:)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:50 AM »
Nice one!  not keen on the colour of those pegs though  :-\  makes it look a tad 'cheap'

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20 AM »
wicked story and wicked build  :4_17_5:

gotta agree on those pegs thou  :P

I've got 4 x Fusion rider pegs if you want them  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16 PM »
I like Big Daddys  :daumenhoch: nice bike dude!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:34 PM »
...some tan wall Primo V Monsters would be sweet as well  :daumenhoch:

( broken record me! )

20 for 2 from CRC at the mo  :)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, the pegs are not so pink in real life! They are red ano. Got those tyres as they are 110 psi, do love a tan wall though, had a quick ride yesterday. Just need to re dial the brakes a bit. Chuffed to bits to have it back

Rodgy1970

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Enjoy it   :coolsmiley:

welsh denny

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:12 PM »
glad you found the site, managed to get your old big daddy back and it does brush up a treat. the story adds a nice personal touch to it.

with regards to the pegs it kinda reminds me of the indy industries ones in colours.

go with the red on graphics, though you could strip em with oven pride or i could sandblast em in work as they are small if you wanted em plain.

hopefully we'll get a flat sesh going soon Garr, weather not looking too good at the moment though.....

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 03:38 PM »
changed to a smaller chainring and also the bars for a bit

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:42 PM by garran »

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Looking awesome Garran!  Top stuff!  :daumenhoch:

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Good work Garran  :daumenhoch: very nice

gordy

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 01:36 AM »
Awesome story, and killer bike.  Glad it made its way home to you.

I'm currently building a Big Daddy too.

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 05:59 PM »
been a while but made a few alterations to my big daddy rider, swapped the cranks and bb as the last lot were a pile of bits inside, changed to the stem to a dk inverted but has to lose the gsport lock as i fudged it up, put on a modern vocal gyro, changed the bars, these are a really nice ride but would not be to everyones taste, also fitted a london mod so i could run twin cables. hope you enjoy cheers

Offline Gordy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Great story and the bike looks awesome too, well done

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Hoffman Big Daddy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx