gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Yes sir, i can resto - SHIMANO DX cha cha cha
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Yes sir, i can resto - SHIMANO DX cha cha cha  (Read 6053 times)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Yes sir, i can resto - SHIMANO DX cha cha cha
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Chapter4: ...stripping with Paint Stripper
ok, so first of all you splodge it all over the pedals  (mine contained Ester, Methylsilfoxyd, Ketone)

... i did it outside, and put a plastik bag over the trays afterwards and let it soak for about an hour
It then looked like this

for scraping the gunk off i used these

..however the one hour soak wasn't enough!

...so i repeated the procedure and let it soak overnight outside.

Next day, after scraping

....now it dawned on me. The paint stripper clearly had worked better on one pedal than on the other.
My guess was - it was rather chilly outside - after a short while the stripper gets into this gel-like, if not even mucus-like state, and the stripper apllied after it once gets into this condition does not properly apply -- hinting towards the main problem: the chilliness (was around 8°C) is detrimental to the stripping process altogether.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Don't know about cold having an effect on the stripper, but I've had pairs of things where ones taken longer than the other to react  :chin:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04 PM »
No - it was the cold; that's why one pedal was ok, while the other one much worse.

So i moved the next stripping session to the shower. ...And let it soak another night.
Left the ventilation on all night

...i'm well pleased. THe finish aint perfect - one mistake was to use a toothbrush. That works fine, but the bristles dissolve after a while and leave a problematic coating :10_2_12:.

Even after one or two more soaking and scraping sessions there are spots with paint. ALSO there are like spotted parts. Weird thing is they seemed to have appeared (every time) right after i wiped off the last bits of the stripper/ dissolvent off. -... i suppose, again guessing, that the remaining particles harden quickly once the dissolving wet coating is gone.  ------> THERE must be a trick to avoid this.

But i'mm well happy anyway with the general appearance of the pedals. So much that i think i will drop the polishing. I heard a dremel is the way to go - i however bought a polishing top for a power drill. I don't care about a few scatches, and i don't want to loose the orangey apearance of the surface the ped still has on many spots.

Phase5: .....polish

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:32 PM by fischflo »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15 AM »
There you go.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Looking good  :)

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 04:13 PM »
  God job there, I can't wait to see the finished items - Ive just done a pair of DX and ran into the same problems as you, with the main problem being the stripper sort of drying out and turning into a mucusy mess because it was too cold. I put the pedals inside over night and cleaned them off in the kitchen sink which did the trick, but the paint Shimano used is hard core - worst paint Ive had to remove off a part...It probably took me a GOOD day to get it all out of the nooks and crannies with a tooth brush...

The ends of my pedals were mullered so after sanding and cleaning them up I was left with the problem of them being too smooth and loosing the orange peel effect. I tried putting a course emery cloth sandy side down on the pedal and hitting it with a hammer (gently) to get the surface roughed up. It sort of worked but mainly smashed the grit into dust....

I spray bombed them with a metallic anno look finish and they came out great. Good luck fella.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 05:32 PM »
wanted to piece the set together today ...forgot the grease waaah :laugh:

...repro'ing the orange texture - great idea ..! :daumenhoch: ..maybe put a sheet of paper (?) or smth between the ped and the grit to achieve a softer edged imprint ...? ...hmmm :chin:

Offline rex

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 07:14 AM »
Next time Flo,  put the paint stripper on, leave it for about 20min then use a small soft wire/copper brush to get the paint off,  the wire brush will get into the tight spots and around the pins easy, you dont have to do the whole pedal at once,

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 12:48 PM »
You know, i thought the stripper alone had to do it, but of course :shocked: .. let a brush do some work! wow - why didn't i think of that? My only concern would be that even soft copper would scratch ...a bit? - But i'lldeffo give it a go and try it out. -- great tip there, thanks J's :daumenhoch:

That might also be a cure to the blemishes - because another suspicion i had was that it's the mega long soaking in the stipper that led to those 'stained'-looking parts. ...but i might be fantasizing again :D

Happy Christmas you all, :slayer:

Offline rex

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I get the brushes in a 3 pack from the hardware store, about $3au,  hard wire, soft copper and stiff paint type bristle,  the soft copper and the stiff bristle dont scratch the metal,  there good for aluminium,  the wire is good for around the welds on a cromo frame,  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 08:28 PM »
...i think there should be at least one emergency hardware store in every city, what kind of world is this >:(

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 01:01 PM »
coincidentally found this cloth with interwoven copper strands in a kitchen accessories store - was cheap, and my home depot didn't have a copper brush, so checked it out.... :teef:

...as you can see the result ain't perfect .... the copper is the way to go, but .... look at the pegs and on the right side.... the thin black line . Yuch. So next time i'll try out a copper brush from ebay .... 3 Euros for a simple one from HK; or 4 for a set of two brushes like those Js' pic showed, in total

/_O_/ \_O_\

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 12:12 AM »
alright alright ;D ;D i got it, the pegs,...i'll get round to it

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 11:06 AM »
top job  :daumenhoch: 

just for future ref ,  if the items you're stripping will fit in a plastic bag , get something like sandwich bags the ones with the press seal on top, put the paint stripper in the bag with the components so they get a good coating , squash out the air out the bag, seal it up then drop the sealed bag in some hot water ,  the stripper will turn to liquid after a bit but will work real well  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Ace tip there, Jim :D ....watch out future dx's stripped-to-be ! :surprise:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 01:50 PM »
method usually stops the orange tinge you get from leaving the stripper on to long  :daumenhoch:

oh and  keep an eye on the bags, let the fumes out if they start to expand , or they'll go POP!  and you'll have to  paint the kitchen ceiling before SHE gets home   ;) ;)  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47 AM »
i gather that's rather important piece of advice ;D  :daumenhoch:

Offline stubill

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Try a wire wheel after youve filed the shape back in and you can get that original cast effect.
I read this a while back thought id give it a go.
Its not a quick process but the effect looks stunning I think.
Used a steel wire wheel in the end, found the brass wheel to be a bit pully.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 08:42 AM »
those look awesome!  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 12:09 PM »
 8) :4_17_5:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25 PM »
ab-so-lu-tely stunning :shocked: - i was actually quite pleased with mine, till i saw yours :D. Might really have a go at this, not quite sure how you can wire in the cast effect with the wheel, but the result speaks for itself, i thinki'll try it out, great stuff :daumenhoch:, they look like right out the box :smitten:

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 05:56 PM »
The finish on those are superb  :4_17_5:     As mentioned above I was chuffed with my resto on a pair of dx peds but the ends are smooth and I now want that finish   :smitten:

Great work  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Great thread this - impressive results and some fab tips too.  :daumenhoch:
Funking in your space since 1984.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Yes sir, i can resto - SHIMANO DX cha cha cha

gfxgfx
gfx gfx