gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheels and noise
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freewheels and noise  (Read 1232 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Freewheels and noise
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Quick and easy question.  I've just recieved a new 16t freewheel.  I've taken it out of the packet and when I shake it it rattles like there's bearings lose.  None of my other freewheels have done this.  Should I send it back?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Freewheels and noise
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Nope - lots of em do that - run it for a bit and the oily grease will reach round to all ze bearings. Basically your standard freewheel has loose bearings in it. Important bits the pawls.

Drop a couple of spots of sewing machine oil in there to loosen stuff up a bit btw. Don't squidge grease in there - you should never use 100% grease (unless you're rebuilding it to get all the bearings staying in there) on a freewheel, use an oil/grease mix as grease can make the pawls stick = broken teeth.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:39 AM by Dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:43 AM »
5 in 1 would do n'all - I just use sewing machine oil as has no gravelly bits in it and the missus has yet to realise she has none left now.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Awesome.  After a few applications of lubricant the rattle has gone and the ticking is nice and quiet.  Is it possible to over lubricate?

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 05:08 PM »
No, if you put too much in, it just pisses out again.
Dont put wd40 or the like, anywhere near it.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Is it possible to over lubricate?

deffinately

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Follow oldschoolace freewheel rebuild thread in the tech stickys. It's a piece of piss n makes em quiet as a moose  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 04:10 AM »

Ive pulled lots of freewheels apart and the advice here is good. If your re-building a FW,  use grease to hold the bearings in place (I think theres around 45 a side...) but once its built use oil.

The amount of 'broken' FW i've pulled apart only to find thick heavy grease inside is amazing. The grease holds the pawls flat against the body of the FW and doesn't allow them to 'spring out' against the ratchet (toothed) ring.

People think no clicking noise and no catching - FW broken. It takes A FOOKIN LOT to break a FW.

The pawl spring that flicks the pawl against the outer ring is very weak and is a large cir-clip type ring the thickness of a small paperclip.

To clean a FW soak it and shake it about in petrol, dry it then squirt some oil in there. Bed it in by putting it on the end of a drill chuck, hold the teeth and spin it......add to bike. Ride. 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheels and noise

gfxgfx
gfx gfx