gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 03:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rare bits ??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rare bits ??  (Read 609 times)

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
Rare bits ??
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:55 PM »
Hi

I was just wondering what people do if they can not get there hands on certain bits for a build, you know bits that just don't exist any more. 
Would you go for the same era bit from another model, an aftermarket era bit, or just something you like.???

:)
SE racing crow bars/ wing bars,, team pedals ...98/99 profile stem xl

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: Rare bits ??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:03 AM »
What is it you're after?  Most stuff turns up, but it can be a waiting game. I'm close to 4 years in on a hunt for a set of tyres but i'm fortunate to have other builds that take the focus off of the wait.

If you don't want to wait, and no one would blame you, personally i'd search for an era correct alternative.  :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:06 AM »
2 1/2 years for a seat myself then 2 came along in 6 months!

Bloody buses!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:13 AM »
In 12 years of collecting BMX, I have never known a part not to appear on the market at some stage, the thing is that you have to be patient sometimes.

I waited 5 years to complete my R&R.

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Oh

4 years is a bit long, I only got the bike last sunday and not even had a spin yet. It came with some really bright red pedals that look so wrong. looking at the original spec, it says I need SE Team Products platforms,,, but searching on google bring nothing up like them.....and I want to ride it in the next couple weeks. lol

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30 AM »

Seems Odyssey still make twisters and they were on the previous year model 98,  I wonder if they have changed much in that time?
Are they any good?  Im more used to the old 80s shimanos on bmx, so plastic pedals sound cheap to me.

Also  im not to sure about 3 piece cranks and pedals?   Not just any will fit ?  Sorry im a noob, lol
:P

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:58 AM »

Seems Odyssey still make twisters and they were on the previous year model 98,  I wonder if they have changed much in that time?
Are they any good?  Im more used to the old 80s shimanos on bmx, so plastic pedals sound cheap to me.

Also  im not to sure about 3 piece cranks and pedals?   Not just any will fit ?  Sorry im a noob, lol
:P

I know nothing about 90's BMX - sorry.  :-[

For pedals and cranks the rules are

1/2" pedal thread for 1 piece cranks
9/16 pedal thread for 3 piece cranks

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Ah
I see. I thought it was something to do with the length :)    I don't know much about 90s bikes either. Im gonna have to learn how to set up an a brake in a moment, cant be that hard though.
Back in the mid 80s I had my bikes in pieces all the time. lol

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24 AM »
You wait for them to come up, spend any spare time you have scouring eBay worldwide and a hundred and one forums as well as your network of friends.  Then when you given up and opted for something else two or three of them surface!  Patience is the key to this hobby.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 07:19 AM »
All good things come to those who wait.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09 PM »

Darn, I don't want to wait. lol    My other option is an old shwine powermatick in the shed, but every time I get close to it, the size of the thing puts me off.  That said, I did just buy some NOS alex supra e lite wheels that would fit it.  Black 48h ones with just storage damage £20, I thought a bargain.

You think a powermatick worth doing up?  I think I have all the bits, except tyres, to get it going.

I passed on an old ammaco freestyler the other day. £30, but the welded on chain guard fittings put me off..  Just up the road we have a charity bike shop,, they get all the bikes from the tip. I really should keep my eye on them. lol   Maybe If I hang around this forum long enough, I might learn what to look out for... Not necessarily to make cash, but just to get involved. :)

So that said...b4 I wreck these e lite rims, anyone need them for a build?   PS  thats if I cant get them to fit my new bike....gotta find a spanner and try the front axle in the rear..

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:14 PM by Hongkongflip »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Probably best to get reissues of the 20 x 2.125" (Tioga) Comp III and rear 20 x 1.75" (Tioga) Comp III tires you need, as would come cheaper...? And then ride em and keep looking out for the original ones, if you like --  Time to make a wishlist & then get a site tag methinks ;)

Offline Hongkongflip

• Curb Endo
  • SE
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Probably best to get reissues of the 20 x 2.125" (Tioga) Comp III and rear 20 x 1.75" (Tioga) Comp III tires you need, as would come cheaper...? And then ride em and keep looking out for the original ones, if you like --  Time to make a wishlist & then get a site tag methinks ;)

Haha,
makes me wonder what the mtb tyres in my shed might be worth....bet I have 30 old good ones. :)

Yep, I would become a supporter but trouble is bank accts....I dont have one....paypal needs one ...If I see something I want on ebay...my sis in law...only asked her a couple times and normally don't happen.  I try to stay the grey man...No bank, no voting register,, just keep my head down.     Paranoid of the NWO. lol

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28 PM »
i know what you mean, facebook scares me, too lol ....tell her she needs a pp account :LolLolLolLol: ....and a site tag!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rare bits ??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx