gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How Do i Polish Rims??? BMX Ones :p
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How Do i Polish Rims??? BMX Ones :p  (Read 740 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
How Do i Polish Rims??? BMX Ones :p
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Hi guys,rite i started to polish a pro-class rim on the polishing machine/bench grinder .....hmmmm its a nightmare  "nono"and then i tried the dremel with a few different wee tools but no luck either,so i was wondering how you polishing experts all go about doing this????
All info would be great;)

Cheers Graham  :daumenhoch:
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: How Do i Polish Rims??? BMX Ones :p
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56 PM »

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say that your title is a classic - made me spit me fookin cornflakes all over the laptop....

Still laughing now as I write this...... :2funny: - Carry on..

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:16 PM »
 :D well i know that some guys think of other idea's of that :p,now you need to get the hoover out and clean them cornflakes up  :crazy2:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:37 PM »
has the rim been stripped of anodising, my pro class rims were silver anodised and i had to strip them first before pollishing. it's not really that obvious to notice because their silver.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:50 PM »
has the rim been stripped of anodising, my pro class rims were silver anodised and i had to strip them first before pollishing. it's not really that obvious to notice because their silver.

Hey John,dont think it had ano on it etc just they are the aluminium colour etc,just it looked like it was polishing up on certain bits but i would like to know how to go about doing it all etc and what all to use :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:23 PM »
if you want to invest some money something like this will bring them up mirror shiny, depending how good the alloy is to start with (and once you start you'll be polishing every alloy thing you can get your hands on):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261069179815?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or a cheaper option along these lines:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7PC-Hard-Metal-Cleaning-Polishing-Buffing-Mop-Wheel-Kit-Compounds-Fit-Drills-/121351143434?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c4117800a

Otherwise (and maybe as well as) its elbow grease and progressively finer grades of wet and dry, say 320, 600, then 1200. If they're really quite bad to start with then start with 180 grit. A couple of small tips:

1. Put a drop of washing up liquid in the water, just a drop, I used to finish a lot of gel coated car bodies and paint jobs and would use a couple of drops in each bucket of water, it really helps to drastically slow the clogging of the wet and dry. I know people worry about the salt content in washing up liquids but firstly the concentrate is really low and secondly you'll be rinsing, drying, and polishing once you've finished with the flatting off with the wet and dry.
2. When you get to the 1200 grit use t-cut instead of water with the wet and dry, it really helps get a show smooth shine. If you really want a top finish, finish with the 1200 with water then 1800 with the t-cut. Whichever grade you finish with polish after with a top end polish applied and buffed with a soft clean cloth. You could search one of bendy's threads he used to recommend a good cloth and finishing polish, sorry can't remember which ones.

Also note, depending on the quality of the initial finish of the component you may need to go through the wet and dry route prior to the commencing any polishing with a bench grinder (or drill) polisher anyway.

:daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Thanks for all the info there picklez,so you go through alot of wet and dry doing this,coz i went through a bit lastnight in seconds and that was it in bits etc,the rims dont seem to bad would just like to give them a good shine instead of been dull looking etc

:daumenhoch: cheers mate ;)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Thanks for all the info there picklez,so you go through alot of wet and dry doing this,coz i went through a bit lastnight in seconds and that was it in bits etc,the rims dont seem to bad would just like to give them a good shine instead of been dull looking etc

:daumenhoch: cheers mate ;)

Have you got a pic of the rims Graham ?  You mentioned Pro Class so they could be the hard annodised version . Eitherway even if there the normal anno it has to be stripped before polishing . I use caustic soda but that won't touch the hard anno , probably have to get that professionally stripped . 
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Hmmmm might just leave them then,if i get a minute i'll take pic off them etc  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How Do i Polish Rims??? BMX Ones :p

gfxgfx
gfx gfx