gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 02:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  A Little Pedal Resto Today whilst the Family were watching Movies - PIC HEAVY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A Little Pedal Resto Today whilst the Family were watching Movies - PIC HEAVY  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Not my best efforts ever but had a set of Skyway Pedals that were in need of a work over.

I picked these up a couple of years ago from an old member on here. They were in a pretty bad way, cages painted white and axles look like they were painted with under-seal. Then a while back I was fortunate enough to source some NOS cages from US ebay and some reproduction end caps from the magic man that can make most things moulded  ;).

Anyway this is how they started the day off:

A quick strip and rinse:

and they looked like this (under the dodgy paint the axles were quite heavily surface corroded):

and the degreaser looked like this (no sea gulls harmed in the process, but that is my wife's toothbrush in the background  :2funny:)

A couple of minutes on the bench grinder and the axles came up just about acceptable:

Three coats of satin black on the axles and a lot of elbow grease on the bodies and I got to this:

Then the nos fixing kit came out of the plastic for the first time in 30 odd years:

Unfortunately I wasn't happy with a couple of the nuts so off for a quick coke bath:

Still not perfect but a bit better:

Then piece them all back together gain:

They're not perfect, but a damn site better than they started the day. Hope you enjoyed  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Love a good resto thread  :daumenhoch:
You always need a cheese option......

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Very nice turned out well for a few hours work  :daumenhoch: i'll send ya my pedals ive a few sets to do  :-\
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Come up a treat and look as good as NOS  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Nice resto , came out great  :daumenhoch:

Did you paint the body's  ?
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, unfortunately I had to give them a single coat of satin black in the end, I really didn't want to but nothing was getting them back to a nice black finish, including a good dose of back-to-black. They just kept creeping back to grey as they dried  :'(, So bit the bullet and dusted them.

As I say, not one of my best resto's  but they actually do look quite good a day later. Cant decide whether I'm going to keep them or put them up for sale, and baring in mind they look quite good, and what nos ones get/get advertised for, I'm not sure what I'd ask for them if ever I did move them on?

Be good boys, or have fun trying

Pete
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, unfortunately I had to give them a single coat of satin black in the end, I really didn't want to but nothing was getting them back to a nice black finish, including a good dose of back-to-black. They just kept creeping back to grey as they dried  :'(, So bit the bullet and dusted them.

As I say, not one of my best resto's  but they actually do look quite good a day later. Cant decide whether I'm going to keep them or put them up for sale, and baring in mind they look quite good, and what nos ones get/get advertised for, I'm not sure what I'd ask for them if ever I did move them on?

Be good boys, or have fun trying

Pete

I had a feeling you had as they looked like they had a Satin sheen to them , I reckon they came out really well considering what you started with  :daumenhoch:   I know exactly what you mean on the 'greying'  happened all the time on the plastics of a Golf Gti i had  ::)  It was ok if you kept on top of it but as soon as you left it for a few months , especially if it was dry the greying was back .

Shame the cages aren't Blue or i would have had them off you for my TA  ;)

Nice job Pete  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
funny you mention the blue, if I keep them the cages will be off to the anodisers for a blue tint, along with a nippon, tech 5, sq corner tuf neck, and hutch donut to finish my dp off. But just not sure whether to run the skyway pedals, as I'm sldo lucky enough to have some nice mks graphites, or could strip the nos red dx's I currently have up for sale (assuming the don't sell, and obviously I'd need a spindle conversion, but I have some victors that could always donate to that cause  ;))

Cheers again.

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

I used black boot polish on my Tuff pedal bodies - worked well and they didn't fade. Just rub it around in tiny circles like your bulling boots.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
That's a shame, I wanted to use shoe polish but when I checked the cupboard we only had the 'cheat suff', like the good old 80's trainer whitener  :(

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
I just bought a NOS set, after some considerable elbow grease they came out of the box a treat

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
These are the best threads  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Forgot to say  :-[ greats work and end result  :)

These are the best threads  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Thanks guys.

Jaan you crack me up  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
I just bought a NOS set, after some considerable elbow grease they came out of the box a treat

:LolLolLolLol:   Very nice Chris  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  A Little Pedal Resto Today whilst the Family were watching Movies - PIC HEAVY

gfxgfx
gfx gfx