gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 09:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Hutch Expert
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Expert  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Hutch Expert
« on: May 25, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Gents,

Who is the 'go to guy' for Hutch? Half considering building one. Thinking it needs to be a Pro Star. Wondering how hard / expense it might be.

Seen seat clamps at £200 and pedals about the same . There is a US Pro Racer on eBay for about £350.

Been a huge fan of Hutch since back in the day, but don't know enough about the pitfalls. Having done the two GT's thought a Hutch might be  a good win.

Found this guide:

http://www.hutchbmx.be/bikes.html

Any help would be cool!!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Expert
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:31 PM »
There are a few hardcore Hutch collectors here, have a look in the museum section for who they are.  Plan on deep pockets if going for a true ProStar build...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:34 PM »
Cheers Marty. Deep pockets sounds like it might be a long process. I am guessing I will need to get the F&F chromed. Did not even know was. Museum on Rad! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Think Marty means this

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hutch/'model=1443

Weren't pro stars rebadged factory complete pro racers with all high-end parts?

Good luck
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 01:41 PM »
oops, my mistake  :2funny:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Cheers both! Will get digging. Not sure have ever seen a pro star for sale but not looked. Pad set alone feels impossible to find, might be a non starter!

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43 PM »

Think Marty means this

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hutch/'model=1443

Weren't pro stars rebadged factory complete pro racers with all high-end parts?

Good luck

Yes pro racer but with all high end parts magnesium hubs aero speeds etc

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Cheers both! Will get digging. Not sure have ever seen a pro star for sale but not looked. Pad set alone feels impossible to find, might be a non starter!

Pad set is defo one of the hardest parts to find .... mint/nos sets are very scarce

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:30 PM »
I could take the build list of that link I posted but sounds like these are really hard builds. Is anyone on here a Hutch expert? They might be able to tell me if wasting my time! ;)

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 05:35 PM »
It's not that you are wasting your time but the parts needed are generally mega money parts you are probably looking at £5000 or 9000 dollars roughly to buy all the parts

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Thanks Glenboy. I know I really struggled with some bits on my GT's. Sounds like these are even more rare. Cannot even see F&F - thanks for the tips!

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Depends how correct you want to be.  You could find a pro racer and put pro star decals on it easy enough.  Actual pro star frames are more difficult to come by and unless you can verify the history of it how do you know the previous owner didnt just do the same?  Some people say 123**** serial numbers denote a pro star .. but that is incorrect.
I've seen some frames pop up for sale with a chrome Tange 125 headset and imo that would be enough to convince me of authenticity (chrome 125's only came on Pro Stars and you couldnt buy them separate (which obviously makes that another very difficult part to source)).
As for the rest of the parts ... hubs, bars, post, clamp, rims, cranks, pedals etc etc .. they are easy enough to find .. but as already stated .. costly.
Good luck .. if you are serious i may be able to help you out with the cranks and pads  ;)
 :daumenhoch:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 07:23 PM »
 As Terry said, the pads are going to be very hard to find and also, the correct tyres are virtually non existent.

You could always go the easy (and cheap in my opinion) route, not sure if it sold or not though.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=577907

Personally, I'd prefer the chase of hunting down each part but each to his own.  :daumenhoch:

Good luck.

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all the hep on this. So it seems that there are great areas on the build, some short cuts and even the offer of a  couple of parts to get me started with the pads and the cranks.

The worry would be around the virtually impossible parts. If it was not for Finny, I would not have been able top finish my GT and I got to the point where I was going to sell everything I had. I know parts are out there, but as proved when looking for Campy Skyway's - people hoard things as items of beauty.

That bike on the Museum at $7200 seems to have quite a few bits that I would want sorted. The stem looks pitted and almost hammered, pad set cracked etc. I could not see me being happy with that.

Not had a F&F chromed but suspect it's a few hundred on it's own. Pedals at £200 - £300, seat clamp donut £200 - feels like a lot.

Really feels like I could get some help from you chaps. Assuming that a pure build would follow this route:

I think a Pro Star would complete my collection of 'dream bikes'. Just worried I could throw a good old amount of cash at this (and I too love the chase), to be left in a position where I cannot get wheels, or it becomes an over a barrel on price.

It is a bike of beauty. Will do some more digging.

As ever gents - thank you for the support and if I do step up, would be great if can be helped with the pads and cranks. Sounds like the hardest bit to find is the wheels?

That eBay F&F has sold already (or been taken down)! Seems like someone else is planning a build too.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 07:46 PM »
P.S. Wonder if anyone on Rad has a project that they have started and got bored of? That could be a route in!!

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Just noticed the F&F that sold was sold by a Radster I think - Spadey?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 08:05 PM »
A clamp wont cost you anywhere near £200 .. i've sold a few of those for around £70

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Cheers wildon - eBay NOS price! :)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Is buying this the equivalent of wanting a 911 and settling on an Audi TT? The Pro Star is beautiful, not sure if I have just gone Hutch crazy! :)

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/191180854780

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Embarking on a true Pro Star build will take patience, commitment and a whole lot of dosh .. if you are lacking in any of those then don't bother starting  :coolsmiley:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Haha! Thanks for the advice!

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 08:37 PM »
As Terry said, the pads are going to be very hard to find and also, the correct tyres are virtually non existent.

You could always go the easy (and cheap in my opinion) route, not sure if it sold or not though.

Personally, I'd prefer the chase of hunting down each part but each to his own.  :daumenhoch:

Good luck.

Adam

I asked him a couple of questions about this and he basically told me if i had questions then it isn't the bike for me!  Who the hell spends that type of money without asking questions?  :idiot2:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 09:34 PM »
That is just bizarre! Did he expect you to just send $7k! ;)

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 09:41 PM »

Good luck.

Adam

I asked him a couple of questions about this and he basically told me if i had questions then it isn't the bike for me!  Who the hell spends that type of money without asking questions?  :idiot2:

Welcome to murica, have a nice day y'all..........  ;D
You always need a cheese option......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Hutch Expert

gfxgfx
gfx gfx