gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are we killing this hobby with our prices?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are we killing this hobby with our prices?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Are we killing this hobby with our prices?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50 PM »
True Chris. I was actually referring to NOS/NOS mint items that I fit and sell on afterwards. Some items I just fit and swap out after photo's to ride it with  :daumenhoch:

I recently sold a complete DC brake set for £160 including postage. That also included hard to come by '84 dated black cables, NOS calipers and levers before fitted, sharp lever grips and 2 pairs Tuff pads. I had £220 in that lot without postage costs. There is a guy on the Museum, UK based, selling a white brake set with 2 right levers and no cables for $425. A chrome caliper plus  Kool stop pro pads sold on there last night for $175.

I sold my Pro Performer F+F, Bars, Seatpost, Seat clamp and GT headset for £200. Find another that cheap. Look at the parts I traded you for a Japanese Trickstar!

I don't come on here trying to sell a complete set Redline Flights for over £500, or 2 Pro pads for £85.

I personally don't mind getting slated for some the prices I post as I feel they are fair and anyone who has bought from me knows the quality of the item they receive but, it's here in the open where people can see and not behind closed doors where thousands are traded for 1 complete bike.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:24 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I spend all my money on heroin

it's very moreish  :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I spend all my money on heroin

it's very moreish  :daumenhoch:

Unlike cocaine, it's not to be sniffed at!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Bru

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Dunno about killing the hobby... I see many more threads like this I might start killing members!!  ;) :LolLolLolLol:

Bru  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Who cares? Accept it or move on.

The ones who are in it for the hobby will still be here this time next year, the year after and so on.

The ones who whinge about the rising cost won't.

Most hobbies come at a price. If you can't afford it try plane spotting, that's free.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Or just spend more time fingering

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 07:16 PM »

What I don't get, and here's where it gets contentious, is if like in Terry's example, you buy something, ride it, use it or whatever, why should you then expect to sell it at the price you paid for it? Isn't it just the way of the world that most things depreciate with use?

agreed
so you buy a 25/30 year old ESP stem for £350.. You fit it, ride it and then sell for less because you've used it.. Hasn't it been used by about 3000000000 before it got to you.. Just saying like.. :daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 07:28 PM »
There are always exceptions to every rule and as you know a stem is unlikely to be exposed to much wear and tear vs drops, rims, grips, tyres etc.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46 PM »
True Chris. I was actually referring to NOS/NOS mint items that I fit and sell on afterwards. Some items I just fit and swap out after photo's to ride it with  :daumenhoch:

I recently sold a complete DC brake set for £160 including postage. That also included hard to come by '84 dated black cables, NOS calipers and levers before fitted, sharp lever grips and 2 pairs Tuff pads. I had £220 in that lot without postage costs. There is a guy on the Museum, UK based, selling a white brake set with 2 right levers and no cables for $425. A chrome caliper plus  Kool stop pro pads sold on there last night for $175.

I sold my Pro Performer F+F, Bars, Seatpost, Seat clamp and GT headset for £200. Find another that cheap. Look at the parts I traded you for a Japanese Trickstar!

I don't come on here trying to sell a complete set Redline Flights for over £500, or 2 Pro pads for £85.

I personally don't mind getting slated for some the prices I post as I feel they are fair and anyone who has bought from me knows the quality of the item they receive but, it's here in the open where people can see and not behind closed doors where thousands are traded for 1 complete bike.

Hey Terry, in typical fashion, whenever I contribute to one of these threads my point gets misinterpreted.

Sale prices are the business of the seller and certainly none of mine, I was singularly expressing my opinion that if a part is subject to ware and tear since acquired it is unlikely to sell at the price point prior to said degradation.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50 PM »
I think your all GAY!!
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36 PM »
I think your all GAY!!

I know your gay, Your boyfriend told me :LolLolLolLol:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Is it dead yet?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Bru

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02 PM »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Is it dead yet?

I think it died sometime in 2005 when the very first of these threads appeared on the old blue site.

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 05:57 AM »
Is it dead yet?

I think it died sometime in 2005 when the very first of these threads appeared on the old blue site.

:LolLolLolLol:
Aye me lad...Durin' the war........ >:D........ :LolLolLolLol:

leehunt1

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 06:57 AM »
I blame all the flippers.. :bump: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 07:21 AM »
 :tumbleweed:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Did someone say hoard.......

If you buy the item, then it belongs to you, so do as you want  :daumenhoch:

:D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00 AM »
When I wanted to sell my GT Performer last year, it was for sale as I had to spend money on my house, I'd only ridden it twice, and I knew it was the most desirable of my bikes so the sale would be easy - if I hadn't wanted the cash, it would still be with me now. Unless I am desperate for cash, cash for real life stuff, NONE of my bikes will leave me, I build the bikes I have dreamt about, and as I'm collecting and building, I never once think about the sale value.

A guy came to look at the bike, it was a yellow '84 US made, complete and I was selling it for £560. This guy 'ummmed and 'ahhhhh'd that long over the bike and constantly mentioned the serial number being covered by powder and illegible meaning he would struggle to sell it.

Those words 'STRUGGLE TO SELL IT' were said several times, so I basically told him to fook off.

This was a guy that was driven by money too much which outweighed his love for the bike I'd built. I didn't want him having it so I could see it on eBay a few weeks later.

I just think that we/you/all of us, should enjoy this hobby for what it is, NOW.

If people stopped pissing their pants about resale value, then they may enjoy the bikes more.

:rant:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 08:48 AM »
When I wanted to sell my GT Performer last year, it was for sale as I had to spend money on my house, I'd only ridden it twice, and I knew it was the most desirable of my bikes so the sale would be easy - if I hadn't wanted the cash, it would still be with me now. Unless I am desperate for cash, cash for real life stuff, NONE of my bikes will leave me, I build the bikes I have dreamt about, and as I'm collecting and building, I never once think about the sale value.

A guy came to look at the bike, it was a yellow '84 US made, complete and I was selling it for £560. This guy 'ummmed and 'ahhhhh'd that long over the bike and constantly mentioned the serial number being covered by powder and illegible meaning he would struggle to sell it.

Those words 'STRUGGLE TO SELL IT' were said several times, so I basically told him to fook off.

This was a guy that was driven by money too much which outweighed his love for the bike I'd built. I didn't want him having it so I could see it on eBay a few weeks later.

I just think that we/you/all of us, should enjoy this hobby for what it is, NOW.

If people stopped pissing their pants about resale value, then they may enjoy the bikes more.

well said Dan.

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 10:33 AM »

What he said
Jono

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Well said Dan.

I'm not posted on one of these tedious threads again, if we all do the same then perhaps they'll stop.

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Well said Dan.

I'm not posted on one of these tedious threads again, if we all do the same then perhaps they'll stop.

they won't
Jono

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I blame the Welsh

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are we killing this hobby with our prices?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx