gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are we killing this hobby with our prices?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are we killing this hobby with our prices?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Are we killing this hobby with our prices?
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2014, 12:57 PM »
I blame the Welsh

sugno fy peli  :LolLolLolLol:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Well said Dan.

I'm not posted on one of these tedious threads again, if we all do the same then perhaps they'll stop.

I don't blame you Chris , if it's any consolation i agree with a lot you have said  :)

RADsters should spend more time comenting on peoples builds , posting a few threads about  BMX and getting out on a few rides imo  :daumenhoch:  Stop worrying about prices going up or down , spend to your budget ..... afterall it's mean't to be a hobby ffs  !!   I spent 000's doing cars up , was lucky if i got back a quarter of what i spent but i didn't care because i enjoyed it and it was my interest at the time . If your constantly looking at prices and worrying if the parts you have are going up or down i think your in this hobby for the wrong reasons . That's not a dig at anyone just my own opinion .

WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2014, 02:48 PM »
It's actually the Illuminati...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 03:02 PM »

RADsters should spend more time comenting on peoples builds , posting a few threads about  BMX   :daumenhoch:  .

Fook me Joff your asking a lot there mate.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 09:42 AM »
If I added up what the fatgoose owes me It would make your eyes water.
I've had peeps ask if I sell it ? and to give them first dib dobs but if I put a price to it just to get my money back you'd think I was crazy :uglystupid2:
I hate to think just what the tube bending, engineering cost in total, try to forget about it :LolLolLolLol:
the Tig welding was cheaper than I thought though and it's :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:57 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Worth every penny though, and this is the point, no hobbies were killed during the innovation of builds like this.  :radbmxsmilie:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01 AM »

Worth every penny though, and this is the point, no hobbies were killed during the innovation of builds like this.  :radbmxsmilie:
What worries me is the stupid price I paid for the pedals ? £150, this to me ain't cheap and they are NEVER worth the money but I was desperate for them, surely this makes this the norm for the next person that tries to buy a set.
  I stole the dura ace cranks from The Pros Closet in the States, they were advertised for a racer, if they had also advertised them for a bmx Team mongoose they would have been double what i paid.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:13 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Well said Dan.

I'm not posted on one of these tedious threads again, if we all do the same then perhaps they'll stop.

I don't blame you Chris , if it's any consolation i agree with a lot you have said  :)

RADsters should spend more time comenting on peoples builds , posting a few threads about  BMX and getting out on a few rides imo  :daumenhoch:  Stop worrying about prices going up or down , spend to your budget ..... afterall it's mean't to be a hobby ffs  !!   I spent 000's doing cars up , was lucky if i got back a quarter of what i spent but i didn't care because i enjoyed it and it was my interest at the time . If your constantly looking at prices and worrying if the parts you have are going up or down i think your in this hobby for the wrong reasons . That's not a dig at anyone just my own opinion .

I do it for the love and enjoyment of finding the parts, building the bike, and then riding it. To me, if I

1. want the part
2. can afford it
and
3. am actually prepared to pay for it

then that's good enough for me. Don't get me wrong, if i split or change a bike, and no longer need a particular part that i've paid a fair amount for, then i'm not just going to give it away for nothing, but don't mind losing a bit of money along the way.  The way I see it is that if my money wasn't going into bike parts, I probably wouldn't have much else to show for it, other than a dodgy liver and/or bigger waistline. To me it's FUN, and if it isn't isn't fun, then why are we doing it?

You can apply the whole price thing to anything. An American Apparel nylon winbreaker jacket costs about £50. A similar one made by Moncler, albeit with better detail and a bit fancier costs £499. Is there THAT much difference in quality? Probably not. Can you justify the difference in price? Probably not. BUT - f I wanted the £499 one, and could afford it, is it worth the money? If it's what I wanted, and i'm happy with it, then yes - to me it's worth it. It's my choice to buy/not buy. The end.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2014, 01:50 AM »
Really, a hobby with a half life?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Build it, ride it, enjoy it.   :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I heard it was in the ER...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline ash1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I've got to say this, and I'll probably get shot down in flames...

I try to get my money back but I don't care if I lose £20 or even £50 here and there as I've enjoyed the part whilst I've owned and if it means I'm helping someone else enjoy the hobby then great, that's probably narcissistic but I don't care.

What I don't get, and here's where it gets contentious, is if like in Terry's example, you buy something, ride it, use it or whatever, why should you then expect to sell it at the price you paid for it? Isn't it just the way of the world that most things depreciate with use?

So when I offered up a complete hoffman big daddy restoration that was ridden once in blackpool which cost me (inclusive of all the donor parts i.e duplicates of everything-parts offered as part of the deal) a grand or more for 600 quid and then some fool PMs me an offer of 150 delivered, is this okay I ask?

Or even my hoffman anniversary build that cost 1300 quid, the dream new school bike, that would sell easily, should I be upset with snidey offers?? or make that no offers??

Nah!! keep the damn things I say!!!   :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:59 PM by ash1970 »

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Jesus is this thread still going?  :tumbleweed:

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I can't get the badger spin to work? Damn... >:D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Are we killing this hobby with our prices?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx