gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  polishing Parts?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: polishing Parts?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
polishing Parts?
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:26 AM »
Right guys there is bound to be a lot of you polish your parts,i am looking to get my parts to a mirror finish on alu/steel,what all should i be using on the ALU and then on the STEEL?
Also how do you's get the polish out from all the wee nooks and crannies that the buffing wheels wont do,if it is with dremels let me know what bit to use etc pics would be better to show me as i am thick when it comes to these sorts of tools to do the wee awkward jobs.Also let me know how tou go about doing rims as i got some sets i would like to polish etc and what to use on them  :daumenhoch:

Cheers

Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: polishing Parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Come on,i know some of you guys polish on here.... "help" me out  :crazy2:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:11 PM »

I use a Drill with a polishing mop on the end clamped to a bench.  :)

I also use a dremel.  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I sent you the link to the on line shop i get my stuff from Graham  :daumenhoch:

There's a guide to polishing metals on there , have a read and if your still not sure send us a PM  ;) 
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Cheers forgot about that link,even when i watch youtube it doesnt really show about using different tools on dremels to polish the wee awkward bits on parts etc

hey BMX what tools you all use on the dremel etc i bought a kit of dremel tools 400 pieces but be better if i knew what all to use as i am not at this all that long and this restoring can be a real nightmare etc,all you guys have the experience,and its always good to get that wee bit of info  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Here you go Graham , copy and pasted from the site i sent you  ;)

A) Condition of the metal with determine where you start.
B) Speed the mops runs at.
C) Quality of the metal. Its does vary and a bad casting can cause problems.
D) Abrasives, get a good even surface with no deep scratches to ensure a deep mirror finish.
E) Make sure you remove the marks left from a previous process
F) If possible try to alter the direction of the polishing for each process, even if only by a few degrees.
G) Do not overload polishing mops with compound. You will deposit grease on the work surface.
H) Use safety equipment, glasses and dust mask. Dust is never nice. Polish outdoors if you have no extraction.
I) Vienna Lime can be used after polishing to reomove light grease and finger marks etc. If the work needs degreaseing then a solvent like white spirit works well.
J) If the mop becomes clogged or dirty after use has been left on shelf for a long time for example then use a mop dresser or wheel rake to bring new life into the mop. Never wash mops in water
K) Use one compound per mop. This keeps everything simple for example if you are using a sisal mop with grey compound try not to change. It is possible to change compound but make sure the old compound has been removed. Tools like mop dressers and wheels rakes are ideal for this application.
L) Please do not use cheap compounds such as silverline, there are many brands such as menzerna or canning who have been selling high quality polishes for over 75 years. I do not know a single professional polisher who uses a brand such as silverline for polishing compounds.

Polishing Steel, Stainless Steel & Iron.
If the metal is in a poor condition then abrasives will be needed. Thats where experience of polishing comes in, looking at then metal and knowing what process you need to start at.
You will need to get the surface to 240/400 grit before you start polishing at process 1.
If the condition of metal is not too bad or you have the surface to 600 grit + then you could start at process 2.

Process 1 (Burnishing) Grey 523LBZ compound with a sisal polishing mop
Process 2 (Prepolishing) Green 439T compound with a white close stitched polishing mop
Process 3 (Polishing) Blue P164 Compound or Rose P126 Compound with a Loose G quality
Process 4 (Finishing) P175 for super finishing with a Loose WDR quality mop

Polishing Aluminium.
Not as hard as the above metals, steel etc. When polishing aluminium if you are getting small holes that appear when you are polishing, stop. These can not polished out they are due to the casting and if you keep polishing you will get more holes appear. Best just buff up if this happens for damage limitation.
If the metal is in a poor condition then abrasives will be needed. Thats where experience of polishing comes in, looking at then metal and knowing what process you need to start at.
You will need to get the surface to 240/400 grit before you start polishing at process 1.
If the condition of metal is not too bad or you have the surface to 600 grit + then you could start at process 2.
Some people prefer to use the green compound on Process 1 with a sisal rather than the grey.
There are a couple of option on finishing, P126 Rose is a superb finisher but for that extra special job P175 can be used.
For thin sheet Aluminium we have a new fine finishing compound available 480F, this is a light green compound thats is more greasy than the normal finishing compounds which keeps the surface cooler.
Process 1 (Burnishing) Green 439T compound with a sisal polishing mop
Process 2 (Prepolishing) Green 439T compound with a white close stitched polishing mop
Process 3 (Polishing) Blue P164 Compound or Blue 480BLF (compound formulated for aluminium) with a Loose G quality

You can use a Dremel with a small polishing mop on to get to the awkward areas .  This shop sells everything you need  :daumenhoch: 

Feel free to PM me if you want or are unsure what mops or compounds to use but this list is pretty easy to follow .

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Ah good man Joffy  :daumenhoch: been out in the man cave letting my eldest boy strip down 2 bikes saves me getting my hands dirty for a change >:D lol ah hes getting there, he needs to be more wreckless on the courses though then he be like me  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Skratchski

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Graham, get a flat hard solid surface as well, i use a marble cutting slab, helps when polishing flat stuff, like pedal sides, came in very handy when doing my hutch stem as its all flat angles place wet and dry on slab an hold part flat to it. stops you rounding stuff off thats meant to be flat.
On alloy i did 320 grit, 400, 600, 1200 then polish.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I think ive got a piece of quinn stone worktop left over from our kitchen,it just like granite etc so i take it that will do,i must get it out off the drawer and give it a blast on it,.....its getting to know what all these wee dremel bits are for etc,some of the wee buffing wheels in it are fooking useless etc :laugh:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Hey joffy maybe you and the other guys that polish on here should make video's and put them up on youtube :daumenhoch:,i did a pro-class power disc or spider what ever it is ,but its not the finish on it am looking,plus while doing it i nearly took my head of with it when the buffer pulled it out of my hands lol think i need armoured plated suit :LolLolLolLol: :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04 PM »

I think Norty40 has covered everything you need to know.  :D

Cheers forgot about that link,even when i watch youtube it doesnt really show about using different tools on dremels to polish the wee awkward bits on parts etc

hey BMX what tools you all use on the dremel etc i bought a kit of dremel tools 400 pieces but be better if i knew what all to use as i am not at this all that long and this restoring can be a real nightmare etc,all you guys have the experience,and its always good to get that wee bit of info  :daumenhoch:

Here you go Graham , copy and pasted from the site i sent you  ;)

A) Condition of the metal with determine where you start.
B) Speed the mops runs at.
C) Quality of the metal. Its does vary and a bad casting can cause problems.
D) Abrasives, get a good even surface with no deep scratches to ensure a deep mirror finish.
E) Make sure you remove the marks left from a previous process
F) If possible try to alter the direction of the polishing for each process, even if only by a few degrees.
G) Do not overload polishing mops with compound. You will deposit grease on the work surface.
H) Use safety equipment, glasses and dust mask. Dust is never nice. Polish outdoors if you have no extraction.
I) Vienna Lime can be used after polishing to reomove light grease and finger marks etc. If the work needs degreaseing then a solvent like white spirit works well.
J) If the mop becomes clogged or dirty after use has been left on shelf for a long time for example then use a mop dresser or wheel rake to bring new life into the mop. Never wash mops in water
K) Use one compound per mop. This keeps everything simple for example if you are using a sisal mop with grey compound try not to change. It is possible to change compound but make sure the old compound has been removed. Tools like mop dressers and wheels rakes are ideal for this application.
L) Please do not use cheap compounds such as silverline, there are many brands such as menzerna or canning who have been selling high quality polishes for over 75 years. I do not know a single professional polisher who uses a brand such as silverline for polishing compounds.

Polishing Steel, Stainless Steel & Iron.

Process 1 (Burnishing) Grey 523LBZ compound with a sisal polishing mop
Process 3 (Polishing) Blue P164 Compound or Rose P126 Compound with a Loose G quality

Polishing Aluminium.
Not as hard as the above metals, steel etc. When polishing aluminium if you are getting small holes that appear when you are polishing, stop. These can not polished out they are due to the casting and if you keep polishing you will get more holes appear. Best just buff up if this happens for damage limitation.
Some people prefer to use the green compound on Process 1 with a sisal rather than the grey.
There are a couple of option on finishing, P126 Rose is a superb finisher but for that extra special job P175 can be used.
For thin sheet Aluminium we have a new fine finishing compound available 480F, this is a light green compound thats is more greasy than the normal finishing compounds which keeps the surface cooler.
Process 1 (Burnishing) Green 439T compound with a sisal polishing mop
Process 3 (Polishing) Blue P164 Compound or Blue 480BLF (compound formulated for aluminium) with a Loose G quality

You can use a Dremel with a small polishing mop on to get to the awkward areas .  This shop sells everything you need  :daumenhoch: 

Feel free to PM me if you want or are unsure what mops or compounds to use but this list is pretty easy to follow .

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Hey joffy maybe you and the other guys that polish on here should make video's and put them up on youtube :daumenhoch:,i did a pro-class power disc or spider what ever it is ,but its not the finish on it am looking,plus while doing it i nearly took my head of with it when the buffer pulled it out of my hands lol think i need armoured plated suit :LolLolLolLol: :daumenhoch:

The only videos im making Graham are for my own personal use and they don't involve polishing wheels  ;) :D

Wait until you start polishing chainrings , had a few of those grab on me and it ain't good  >:D

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Ive tried a chainring but had to stop was getting a bit scarey,i could see real bad damage been done  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  polishing Parts?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx