gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How did u get back into bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How did u get back into bmx  (Read 1223 times)

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
How did u get back into bmx
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I suppose for me it was a quiet day at work and a browse on google when I put in pk ripper and ended up at the original rad forum and pk radmans pictures of his awsome collection of warranty carded se rippers and quads his gt's and profiles a absolutely stunning collection of truly stunning ild school bmx , then I went and bought my quad 24 then the ripper then the gt then the c w mini then the falcon prostyler then resto on whitehawk before moving on to the haros, team sport then sport then c w freestyler then my 20 quad and  84 master  up to my air uni  and now the 85 fst , its been a whirlwind couple of years and I have lovee every minute pf it and meet some really great people
build what u want if u like it then thats all that matters

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: How did u get back into bmx
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I stopped in '87 but helped my mate restore his Raleigh Aero Pro in '94 and had a bit of a ride on that.

It was in '08 where my mate told me he had the same AP frame and forks on eBay and they had sold for £200. I didnt believe him, so did some eBay searching myself and was amazed at how much these 25 year old kids bikes were worth. I joined RB.com, BW and RAD, then just messed about with Burners for a few years until I went on my first RAD ride in '11, then the BMX bug got a total grip on me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:28 PM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21 PM »
ebay. I always wanted a Skyway T/A bitd, so I would occasionally search for one on ebay - 2003 ish onwards. In 2009 I did a search just for the hell of it, and an 84 chrome T/A f&f came up. It was located in California, but I won the auction for about £210. That was it - hooked ever since.

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Too much beer, then ebay.  Its how most of my "hobbies" have started..........
You always need a cheese option......

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Surfing the net and came across the BMXmuseum around 2004/5.

Then started to see links going all over the place.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53 PM »
its all rick gibbs fault, january last year me n wife were in tenerife we got talking about her brother who she'd not seen or heard from for 2 years as he lives in salisbury, we in manchester, i said i'd sort it when we got home.  on return i got daughter to set up a facebook account for me, as didn't use it, looked for him, but nothing, so searched for his teenage daughter, found her straight away, pm'd her and wife was talking to her brother for first time in 2 years+ plenty of crying and the world's right again.   2 days later rick gibbs added me as a friend so i had a look at his profile, he'd just been on a ride, leeds or liverpool i think, saw loads of lads getting pissed on old school bikes, jumped on ebay and that was it!!!! so rick you owe me a small fortune, but met some great lads far too many to mention and never looked back
Jono

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Ebay.................. looked up GJS. I had one as a race bike back in the 80's, Still looking now 7-8yrs on. 
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45 PM »
For me for some reason I wanted a pk ripper just in the house started looking but had no idea what was what looked ebay etc found rad put a wanted as up for pk had no luck and first bike I got was redline proline 20 Complete bike just without wheels but with 401 cranks with Phil wood spider  all for the princely sum of £370 plus post from USA though but even so was cheap really , then got an fst haro then a 90s ripper and carried on from there

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:47 PM »
My mum said if you don't want your old bike in the garage I'll take it to the tip !!!
Searched the net, found vincent frames site & contacted katie. Said I fancied doing it up & she pointed me to rad.
The 5 bikes & shit everywhere must be her fault then  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:53 PM »
A friend told me they had rebuilt the old hereford track to national standard, so I took junior up to have a go on it, two weeks later I had a tatty midschool diamondback my brother had had dumped in a bike shed at his work and I was having a og, then I remembered my old burner I had, then it snowballed

griff

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:53 PM »
One thing that really jolted my memory banks was going round to a mate's flat in Brum and seeing this thing in his hallway. He used to ride it into town and leave it outside shops!

Like many people on here a bit of googling and I found Rad, been a few years now and don't see any reason to lose interest - best bunch of lads you could hope to meet are on here, even the deviants

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 10:05 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,155291.0.html

My mate Darren BADDH and loads of members on here helped be get a bike sorted on a really tight budget  :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32 PM »
An old mate I used to race against , Darren Oakes brought his original GT pro to my local 4 years ago ( he's still got it )  :daumenhoch:

I jumped on it and did a 360 on the second go for the first time in 25 years  ^"^ .  I decided to search for a Robinson :) and have it like I had bitd .

27 bikes later  :LolLolLolLol: 

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Got an itch.. Started looking on eBay for a gt pro.. Found one,Lost it at big money!! Found Rad, bought one for a fraction of that price.. Made some good friends, had a blast. Going to Blackpool next! Never been before?? Had my jabs!! Here I come :slayer:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 11:50 PM »
My dad was tidying his shed and reminded my brother his old Chromo Burner was in there. His lass at the time was into veedubs and wanted it, so he slung it together with nasty tyres and we all rode it round the streets like kids again and loved it.

About a year later my brother built me my Ammaco 202 for my 30th birthday when he found a nos frame in a box and my dad found my ProClass wheels. A bid on Dordy's ebay won me a set of Tuffs and he mentioned Radbmx.

Now 30 odd builds later I ride more than ever and have even more broken bones that when I gave up the first time round as a teenager :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 12:45 AM »
I'd always see the odd Mongoose or Schwinn in the states every summer but it was really in 99 when I was in Oz for the millennium that I got the bug back, albeit only very slightly... Near where I had parked my camper for the night was a skate park. In the morning I staggered down there to walk off a hangover and bumped into some lads on OS BMX, we got talking and sharing stories. I promptly got on a Haro (I think) and face planted with such incredible vigour I expected my face to be on the back of my head... 

The story often got brought up at piss ups (because of my misfortune) but it always made me think of the bikes... Then about 7 years ago I was doing some Photoshop work for a photographer buddy of mine who i'd known since a kid and we started talking about his 280 and how he'd like to build another one, and that was it...

Almost 4 years ago now I found RAD and it wasn't long before I realised I had a lot of bad habits! I didn't even realise you could get a crank puller - i had been resting my cranks on a breadboard and using a hammer!  What I also remember about first coming on here was thinking "whats bump and PM?" I couldn't for the life of me make an association with BMX and I was too embarrassed to ask  :LolLolLolLol:

Kinda reminds me of when I first came across the term NOS, obviously there was no such thing BITD it was just NS  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06 AM »
i never left it, 32 years going strong and still love it as much as when i started.  :slayer:

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Mongoose was the bike for me BITD , in 2008 I bought a gt pro series 24 that was mint to ride around to get a bit of exercise, I liked to wheelie most places pre car ownership and wanted to see if I could still do it.
The gt was USELESS for wheelies , the frame geometry was spacious but all wrong even with slightly taller bars and with a tooth larger freewheel.
I sold it 4 years later in the same condition,meet the guy at the station, he bought it for his 7 year old to ride   :idiot2: .
Then with money burning a hole in my pocket  I was going through ebay and found a 1980 mongoose motomag frame/forks in Michigan USA..
built it up with some nice parts of the era then was offered a supergoose frame/forks in Chicago and always wanted one, I snapped it up and sold the motomag f/f.
Still wheelies like I remember  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:58 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 09:47 AM »
nice playroom  :daumenhoch:

I suppose for me it was a quiet day at work and a browse on google when I put in pk ripper and ended up at the original rad forum and pk radmans pictures of his awsome collection of warranty carded se rippers and quads his gt's and profiles a absolutely stunning collection of truly stunning ild school bmx , then I went and bought my quad 24 then the ripper then the gt then the c w mini then the falcon prostyler then resto on whitehawk before moving on to the haros, team sport then sport then c w freestyler then my 20 quad and  84 master  up to my air uni  and now the 85 fst , its been a whirlwind couple of years and I have lovee every minute pf it and meet some really great people

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I was at Bug Jam 3 years ago and saw loads of people riding OS BMX's. I was more interested in the bikes than the cars there! Straight on ebay when I got back looking at all kinds of OS BMX. 3 months later I found the frame and forks I had as a kid (PR Styler) and it carried on from there.....been skint ever since!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 04:28 PM »
never really left bmx ever , but back in 99 started hunting again for a old trickstar and did enquiry with shiners but they had sold them all to the haney`s by then and eventually bought one from the states complete for about 200 quid posted
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I was bored and hadn't used a pc 4 years . Misses Animal showed me the ropes etc. Googled MRD  ::) and the joy was back  8) My first buy off the bay was an MRD Pro fully loaded 4 £220 posted . Those were the days  :LolLolLolLol:

Then bought some green mushies off Dord on the bay and there was a note in the packet saying check out Radbmx . Been here ever since . The MRD affliction is still strong in this 1  :smitten:  :Great_Britain:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Yep that Dordy has a lot to answer for :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 05:23 PM »
actually my cousin's fault. He was a bit on the strong side and had another go at ruining my beloved Motobecane and managed to damage the rear tuff's hub. Tried to fix that, came across vintagebmx and fantastic helpfulness, then snooped around, figured out i wanted a ttt (hated them bitd ::)), then came across ORB and Rombloke's ('80sRombloke' then lol) big bike buildoff thread over there, they got ejected, i got an email, the rest is history ;D :popcorn:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Good thread this one  :daumenhoch:

For me it was a visit to my big pal Joff's ( Norty40) about 3 years back,  I noticed his MT in the lounge in mid resto and that was then the start of a tour to Joff's man cave...  "wantit"  "help"  "bump". Talk of bikes I had bitd.. The 83 Robinson pro  :bow:

And that's that,  I then asked an old mate I knew still had his Robinson from 82 and bought that, restored it and took it round to show him.

Went on a Radchester ride met Carl n the lads and  never looked back, 11 bikes later....

Top set of lads on here, thanks guys.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:00 PM by BADDH »
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How did u get back into bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx