gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with MX1000
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help with MX1000  (Read 744 times)

ODI

Help with MX1000
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I'm probably being stupid  :uglystupid2: but when I pull the brake lever only one side of the cliper moves and can't workout how to get both arms to move. I had no problem with my MX900 !!!

All suggestions gratefully received

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Help with MX1000
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Is one side rubbing against the wheel ? If so you need to centre it !

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:45 PM »
does your set have the self centre device on them?

if so pretty easy to do, u will have a screw to turn where the forks and brake meet at the front , turn the screw and keep checking your brakes by pulling the lever and it should centre up

Rich

ODI

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:50 PM »
Thanks for the responce I have tried to centre the brake but still only one arm moves its driving me mad  :uglystupid2:

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:43 PM »
I reckon you'll have to strip it down & grease the lot so that the arm not moving will swing freely. It might be sticking to the 'axle' or just stiff.
Centring sidepulls was always a nightmare, when I tightened mine up, they'd move on the caliper side no matter what I did. The side that won't move is probably the left one (as you look at it from the front).

This'll probably make your hair stand on end just thinking about it, but I used to tighten the nut at the back about 90% then get a nice broad bolt and gently tap the spring downwards on the side that wasn't touching the rim. Then, after a couple of squeezes on the lever and when they looked like they were equally set at both sides, I'd just tweak the nut to lock it in place.
Because of this problem some clever chap made a tool called a 3rd Hand, but I never saw one in the flesh.

greentoad

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:05 PM »
Hi

I'd loosen the fixing bolt nuts, then push the pad that was not touching the rim, onto the rim, then tighten the nuts up and squeeze the lever. It usually works fine and they will be centered. If not though repeat but just stick a little thin piece of cardboard in between the pad and the rim and do it all again.

I also never do the nuts very tightly, and always back off the inside nut a tad, to lock onto the lock nut.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

J.

Jazzchimp

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Undo the back, centre and tighten again. You may have them on too tight

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Great advice from the above, but did you remember to replace all the thin washers, that would cause it as well..
A long time ago, in a land far away!

ODI

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Cheers Guys, problem sorted I was just being to heavy handed with the spanner, now working a treat  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with MX1000

gfxgfx
gfx gfx