gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tuff neck
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: tuff neck  (Read 680 times)

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
tuff neck
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:53 PM »
hi can anyone help i stupidly had tuff neck stem polished and had bolt chromed but the shaft has been chromed aswell now it just slides side to side no matter how much its tightened ive tried scoring it with dremmel  its helped a bit but still not tight enough to ride just like to know if any one else has had same problem and how it could be solved had the thing for thirty odd years doing my first build since then hope ive not ballsed it up
cheers scott

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: tuff neck
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Aargh right lots use a cut up a coke can and use a slither of it as a shim

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:28 PM »
doesn't rooski make these bolts or is just the cap bolts??
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35 PM »
cheers ill try the coke can thing

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:01 AM »
Where is it "sliding from side to side" in the actual forks or where the stem base joins the quill (shaft)?  If the latter then the main bolt is not tight enough or the quill is not seated in the stem base properly. 

A coke can won't help in that instance as you will need to either get it pressed in or tightened up sufficiently.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:28 PM »
   its where the base joins shaft  cheers pal i tried some thread lock adhesive it seems to have done the trick so far ive learned a lesson dont polish what dont need polishing cheers for advice
scott

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I found similar with a chrome set of handlebars, there's lack of grip to a shiny chrome surface so I smeared a tiny bit of valve grinding paste in the 2 half moons of the stem and gently clamped the stem in the correct position and moved the handlebars back and forth, tightened it a little more then done the same again.
I then removed the bars ,cleaned the stem / bars thoroughly  , it made the bars hazy in that area but now they grip.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:23 PM »
   its where the base joins shaft  cheers pal i tried some thread lock adhesive it seems to have done the trick so far ive learned a lesson dont polish what dont need polishing cheers for advice
scott

Yep, that should do it.  What I did was mount the stem in the forks, put some electrical tape round the large nut and on the stem (to avoid damaging the ano) and used a long adjustable spanner to nip it up tightly. 

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tuff neck

gfxgfx
gfx gfx