gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rechroming companies in the Birmingham area
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rechroming companies in the Birmingham area  (Read 1793 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Rechroming companies in the Birmingham area
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Just wondered if anyone can recommend me somewhere to get some forks rechromed in the Birmingham are and roughly what price do you think I should be paying?  I've just had a quote of £125 + VAT which is faaaaaaaaarrr too much.  I'd rather just spray them if it's going to be in that region of price.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Rechroming companies in the Birmingham area
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:09 PM »
That's reasonable. I've just dropped some handlebars off, they are £55 a set!

Nothing is cheap these days!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I use ACF Howell in Walsall.

Not cheap but awesome quality and they are used to doing BMX parts. There are a few of us on here using them.

I have a set of bars, pair of pedals, pair of cranks and spider, and a load of brake and BB parts with them at the minute and that lot is around what you are quoting just for your forks.

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I've used www.chromefix.co.uk in the past, good quality but you have to write exactly what you want on the job brief or they will over polish prior to plating.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline scott4315

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I had my bars and forks done at reeves in Smethwick,  cost me about 60

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Chroming or any type of finishing is never going to be cheap. 

The prep, plating and polishing all take time which is particularly relevant for bikes due to the round tubing, go somewhere cheap and you'll get flat spots on the polishing, ripples in the chrome and/or you'll loose the definition in the welds...

£125 for f/f isn't too bad buddy.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 11:02 PM »
That wasn't F&F.  That was just forks.  I got the forks done for £40 by a company in Walsall that did a top job in the end. 

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33 AM »

Not cheap but awesome quality and they are used to doing BMX parts. There are a few of us on here using them.

I have a set of bars, pair of pedals, pair of cranks and spider, and a load of brake and BB parts with them at the minute and that lot is around what you are quoting just for your forks.

Any idea if this company can re-chrome alloy parts? I have a power disc and chainring that i'd like doing. Thanks

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58 AM »

Any idea if this company can re-chrome alloy parts? I have a power disc and chainring that i'd like doing. Thanks

Yes, they have done loads for me... stems, clamps, discs, rims etc

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 01:08 AM »
That wasn't F&F.  That was just forks.  I got the forks done for £40 by a company in Walsall that did a top job in the end.

£125 for forks!  Now that is expensive!!

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Speak to Mark at Howells  :daumenhoch:

WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 09:28 AM »

I asked them about Rims and they said they wouldn't do them.  They said they'd polish them to a chrome like finish but not actually chrome them.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 05:10 PM »

I asked them about Rims and they said they wouldn't do them.  They said they'd polish them to a chrome like finish but not actually chrome them.

I've had loads of rims chromed there .. 7x, super pros, pro class .. they are very expensive for rims (£100 per rim) but they do them

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rechroming companies in the Birmingham area

gfxgfx
gfx gfx