gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 05:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Bit of mid school advice needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bit of mid school advice needed  (Read 4525 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Bit of mid school advice needed
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I fancy at some point building something midschool. At the moment I don't have the £££ to build another 80s bike after sinking several hundred into my Haro.

What I fancy is something from the 90s that wont break the bank, it'll be mainly a bike for rideouts. The only mid bike I have owned is a DK general lee, I found this great on the local track but awful to ride on the street with its super low seat.

So can anyone recommend a bike to me, what I need is something decent, maybe a couple of hundred quid, but with an old school size and shape, so it can be sat on and ridden comfortably like an 80s bike. I really don't know much about the mid era, I have seen a couple of GT Dynos from the 90s that look similar in shape to 80s stuff.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Bit of mid school advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52 PM »
If you fancy a complete I'm going to be letting the Stout Boy go shortly (sounds so wrong I know........)
You always need a cheese option......

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:55 PM »
you can get an early 90s Haro Sport that needs a resto for under £200  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:24 PM »
I recently bought a 1998 GT Performer for £40.  Was in a right shit state but that's what I wanted to keep me amused.  To be honest I'm not far off finishing it and it's came out nice.  The citric acid bath has got rid of all the rust and I'm just gonna get the forks re-chromed.  I'll be selling a 98 Dyno soon but it's doesn't need anything at all dong to it really.

Offline Lenny-Lentini

• BMX Legend
  • Cherry Picker
  • New Man Ting Productions
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Thats some good work Edbanger

Cleaned up nice.

KTF. L
you ain't a badman, you live with your nan

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm well pleased with it.  I just need to get the freewheel off to clean up the back wheel in the same manor and I'm ready to put it back together.  Not srue leaving the freewheel submerged in water and citric acid for 24 hours would do it any good???  Any thoughts on that?

rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm well pleased with it.  I just need to get the freewheel off to clean up the back wheel in the same manor and I'm ready to put it back together.  Not srue leaving the freewheel submerged in water and citric acid for 24 hours would do it any good???  Any thoughts on that?

Save your nuts, bin it and buy a dicta for £6.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:44 PM »
OK, what's a "dicta"??

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Yep - bin it. Not keep on Dictas (they're freewheels) but spend a tenner and like Rod says - saves your nuts (and teeth)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with the ACS chrome jobby on there though.  I just want to get it off so I can clean the back wheel up properly.  Is it not jsut a case of getting a tool for the locking nut and then unscrewing it?? 

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Freewheel remover is what you need.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

rodriguez

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with the ACS chrome jobby on there though.  I just want to get it off so I can clean the back wheel up properly.  Is it not jsut a case of getting a tool for the locking nut and then unscrewing it??

ACS is a much better freewheel than a Dicta   :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suntour-Freewheel-Remover-Suntour-BMX-Freewheel-Remover-BMX-Freewheels-/191114069083?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2c7f49445b

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I thought so.  Think I'll just go mad and splash out the £5 to get the right tool for the job.  I just managed to get myself a nice winged GT chain ring (the same one I had as a kid) so I'm excited about arriving now  :D

rodriguez

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:47 PM »
I fancy at some point building something midschool. At the moment I don't have the £££ to build another 80s bike after sinking several hundred into my Haro.

What I fancy is something from the 90s that wont break the bank, it'll be mainly a bike for rideouts. The only mid bike I have owned is a DK general lee, I found this great on the local track but awful to ride on the street with its super low seat.

So can anyone recommend a bike to me, what I need is something decent, maybe a couple of hundred quid, but with an old school size and shape, so it can be sat on and ridden comfortably like an 80s bike. I really don't know much about the mid era, I have seen a couple of GT Dynos from the 90s that look similar in shape to 80s stuff.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Something early 90's Steve for seat up after then the seats started to drop.

GT, Dyno,  Haro, Mongoose you can still pick them up relatively cheap although the price has started to rise as people are buying them for the same reason as yourself, ie, they're cheap.

:daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I thought so.  Think I'll just go mad and splash out the £5 to get the right tool for the job.  I just managed to get myself a nice winged GT chain ring (the same one I had as a kid) so I'm excited about arriving now  :D
The one off ebay this morning by any chance ? The one with crank and pedals.  :)

"WWG1WGA"

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 05:43 PM »

can lend you one :-)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12 PM »
The one off ebay this morning by any chance ? The one with crank and pedals.  :)

It might have been  ;)  Are you the seller or rival bidder???

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 07:13 PM »

can lend you one :-)

Dude that is awesomely kind of you.  I managed to get a two pronged one from someone this afternoon and I can't budge that locking ring to save my life!!  I think I'm going to take it to a bike shop and see if they can do it for me.  Unless anyone has any more ideas as to what I should try first???

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 07:22 PM »

I bid on it.  :daumenhoch: Was after the pedals if your interested in letting them go. If this is the same item we're talking about of course.  :daumenhoch:

Btw, you need the freewheel remover in a vice ideally thus giving you the leverage needed to release the freewheel.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:47 PM »

I bid on it.  :daumenhoch: Was after the pedals if your interested in letting them go. If this is the same item we're talking about of course.  :daumenhoch:

Btw, you need the freewheel remover in a vice ideally thus giving you the leverage needed to release the freewheel.  :daumenhoch:

I'll let you know when they arrive buddy.  I've got another set of those exact same pedals so I'll no doubt be keeping which ever set is in best condition and be selling the other  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:51 PM »

I'll let you know when they arrive buddy.  I've got another set of those exact same pedals so I'll no doubt be keeping which ever set is in best condition and be selling the other  :daumenhoch:
Nice one.   :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I've been trying to restore the pedals I've got a bit as they were battered and scratched to foook.  I've just finished one.  I did one side by hand and the other using a rotary tool.  The side I did by hand is much better as if softer and smother in the light.  The rotary tool is a little heavier but I don't think you can pick it up through a camera.  Thing is it was far easier and quicker with the rotary tool.  Not sure I can be arsed to do the whole of the other pedal by hand???   :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Bit of mid school advice needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx