gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 20, 2024, 01:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  79 Goose build thread - update 21.07.14
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 79 Goose build thread - update 21.07.14  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: 79 Team Goose build thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Its lovely Dan, lovely lovely lovely  :4_17_5:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Its lovely Dan, lovely lovely lovely  :4_17_5:

Can't beat a candy blue goose, looking forward to seeing the build pics :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Goose stamped headset...  :)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 10:31 PM »
 :smitten:  Love a Candy Blue Team goose , that will be awesome Chris  8)

Jonygoose and myself both looked into trying to find out the exact colour , there's no definitive colour code. The original teams were all a Candy Blue laquer sprayed directly onto a chrome/Nickel frame . The finish looked great but wasn't very durable , it just used to peel off in time  ::) .

Your colour doesn't look too far off Chris ..... this is John's team ,full survivor frame/ forks and decals ..

full thread here ...   http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,128591.msg1234590.html#msg1234590

Looking forward to seeing the progress mate .
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Yes Chris loving that blue  "wantit"

Can't wait to see more this

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43 PM »
That is simply stunning Joff, it must be a 1980 with the large Winners Choice seat tube decal. I considered a factory build but I'm mixing it up a bit... Its going to be blue and yellow too  :)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Yes Chris loving that blue  "wantit"

Can't wait to see more this

Cheers Russ, i've got some nice parts for this build...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 12:43 AM »
Candy blue is the only colour a gusset Goose should be, end of :yahoo_silent:

Still limping......

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: 79 Goose build thread
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 09:26 AM »
So how bloody stupid am I?

Spen rightly pointed out that this was sold to me as a standard Mongoose and not a 100% chromoly Team model.

I can only assume that I've played Chinese whispers with myself whilst it was stored to the point where I didn't even think to look at the rear stays!!!

So I've come this far, what to do, what to do...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:33 AM by Jaan »

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 11:53 AM »
They look like 81 motomag 1" forks as well Chris, early 79 motomag's had black astabula forks and later 79 had Tange pinch forks up to Feb 81.
Your forks look to be motomag March 81 onwards.
Still build it, what month 79 is it ? Is it a CE9 ?
It would look great in that candy blue with black ashtabula forks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:48 PM by snoopy72 »

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30 PM »
It's August 79 - CH9.

I'm fairly certain that the forks are Competition forks which were fitted to Team models, perhaps it was that which planted the seed in my mind? They're certainly not the nickel plated hi-tensile steel tubular fork that came on the 79 Mongoose... Anyway the good news is that I'm not utilising the Mongoose forks for this build so what they are is moot...

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 04:55 PM »
August 79 motomag had tange pitch forks , if they are team competition forks they will be 7/8 leg diameter the same as supergoose, team and non drilled Roger decoster the way they curve at the top's not that sharper bend and they look the same diameter as the steer tube.
Measure the fork leg to see if it's 25.4mm
Look nice with some Bottema forks on it
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:00 PM by snoopy72 »

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I'll measure in a bit John, how do you calculate the diameter? Is it the circumference divided by Pi? It's been a while...  :)

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11 PM »
With a digital vernier is easiest, you must have a hinged or 2 piece seat post clamp ?, put a piece of masking tape around the fork and just fit it around the fork leg , if it nice and snug they are 1" if it is very sloppy they are 7/8 :daumenhoch:
You won't even have to clamp it up to see if it fits nice or not, don't damage the new paint :coolsmiley:
These are  May 81 motomag 1" forks

Below are my Dec 80 supergoose 7/8 forks (competition forks) same as Team
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:02 PM by snoopy72 »

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Team forks have a larger boss where the caliper bolts on if drilled ... that's normally the quickest way to tell the difference :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 05:51 PM »
John and Steve, thanks for the information. I appreciate it.  :)

I must confess to being out of my depth with Mongoose.

The forks are without the larger boss and look identical to John's 81 Motomag 1" forks. I think that's cleared it up.

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Team forks have a larger boss where the caliper bolts on if drilled ... that's normally the quickest way to tell the difference :daumenhoch:
Also on the motomag 1" forks it has a welded washer on top of the boss for the crown race, the competition forks don't have a welded washer for the crown race , because the team / supergoose fork boss is larger as stated by Steve, it is just machined away to fit the crown race down on top of it.
I just re looked at your forks and they are definitely 1" forks 81-82 for motomag, they could even be later 83-85 california or proclass forks but that's not my era so not 100% on that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:21 PM by snoopy72 »

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Also on the motomag 1" forks it has a welded washer on top of the boss for the crown race, the competition forks don't have a welded washer for the crown race , because the team / supergoose fork boss is larger as stated by Steve, it is just machined away to fit the crown race down on top of it.
I just re looked at your forks and they are definitely 1" forks 81-82 for motomag, they could even be later 83-85 california or proclass forks but that's not my era so not 100% on that.

When Spen comes online we'll get a definitive answer. As I said at the top of the thread we dealt a while back, before the "Great Crash of 2013" so any PM history was lost into the ether...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Evening all

It came as that with the forks but they aren't Team forks and god knows with any Goose if they're original from the frame.

Over the water they built the frames from whatever was lying around at the time so it could be anything under the paint!
Still limping......

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38 PM »
So this build is more custom than catalogue especially as its not even the frame that I thought it was!!  :crazy2: :LolLolLolLol:

Shall I run 3PC or 1PC crank? John (snoopy72) has offered me his Super Maxy which are lovely, or do I look for a Dura Ace?

If I go for 1PC I have NOS Takagi and Sugino or do I look for a Mongoose stamped 1PC?  When did they come into circulation?

I have chrome forks so I don't want to fit an Ashtabula crank....  :-\   "help"

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Chris I was smashed on saturday night and don't recall even sending that post :2funny:

Needless to say, I meant that those were the forks it arrived with and I had no reason to suspect they weren't the original forks with the frame. The date on Monggose BB shells is for amusement only once production got into full swing - they just used the next piece of tube on the production line apparently - there were boxes of BB shells already stamped. The date is a plus/minus 6 moths guide to manufacture date only....... bloomin BMX Products :-\

The only thing I can assure you is that it is definitely a standard Mongoose frame and was once a lush copper colour :2funny: I wouldn't have sold it if it would have been a full cromo frame as I loved the colour........ :shocked:
Still limping......

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I'd never have guessed that you were smashed  ;)

Forks,,, i'm still not 100% as they're exactly the same as those that John described as "May 81 Motomag 1" forks" but if thats correct then the forks in the 81 catalogue are wrong as they still appear to be the same pinched fork used on the 79/80 standard Mongoose.

The fact that its not 100% chromoly doesn't bother me in the slightest, i'm running a Suntour Skyway steel coaster hub rear so thats virtually doubled the weight anyway  ;D

Plus if they're good enough for BMX Products to label Competition Racing Frame then they're certainly good enough for slow coach me  ;D

... I just need to buy my 3rd set of decals  :'(

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 06:20 PM »
 "wantit"

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I'd never have guessed that you were smashed  ;)

Forks,,, i'm still not 100% as they're exactly the same as those that John described as "May 81 Motomag 1" forks" but if thats correct then the forks in the 81 catalogue are wrong as they still appear to be the same pinched fork used on the 79/80 standard Mongoose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
snoopy72 wrote:-
 August 79 was when mongoose started producing frames without the welded coaster tab.
The catalogue is correct  :daumenhoch: pinch forks were used from around Oct 79 , 80, 1981 Jan , Feb  and March, March was the change over month for the forks,  could have had either forks, then in April the pinch forks were gone.
In April/May/ they also mixed the rear dropouts, the serial numbers were changed without the letter C for Chatsworth and the rectangle next to the bb was hollow.
If you read the small print at the bottom of the 81 catalogue it states that since the printing of the catalogue some items may have changed.
(quite a lot actually) :LolLolLolLol:
By the end of May  , solid rectangle, solid plate rear drop outs were gone, but they still continued to make the frames with gusset's until 1982
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:31 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Made a little progress on this build last night with some help with my apprentice Phil Sawzall - keep an eye out for him as I think he has potential  :LolLolLolLol:

Minty fresh, never seen a brake, steel hub Skyways added

Wrapped in NOS fat/thin Comp 2s

79 Mongoose stamped crank, Mongoose BB, rare gold Mongoose stamped 130 BCD spider with equally hard to find 39T chainring and Mongoose pedals fitted

Frame re-decaled with Motomag set, Bottema M1s and the story so far....

Gold stem is being refinished and Phil has my SS bars and post for polishing  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:09 PM by Jaan »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  79 Goose build thread - update 21.07.14

gfxgfx
gfx gfx