gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 20, 2024, 12:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tuf neck stem (re anno)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: tuf neck stem (re anno)  (Read 711 times)

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
tuf neck stem (re anno)
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:43 AM »
Right so,  got a tuf neck stem, minty but would like to change the colour, getting the quill undone without damaging it may be a challenge, tried clamping the shaft in a woodwork vise with wooden jaws , nearly broke the vise off the bench trying to undo it.

Any ideas ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:34 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Re: tuf neck stem (re anno)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26 AM »
You'll be better off clamping the sides of the stem body in the vice (protected obviously), use the correct size socket with a breaker bar to undo the bolt but protect the stem from coming in contact with the socket as you turn or you'll end up with circular score lines. Also don't use any socket with an internal grip system like 'flank-drive' as that will put lines on your bolt, and certainly don't use adjustable spanners/grips of any sort.

Have you tried putting a 'Trade' post up?? Someone may need the colour you have (whatever that is)

Nothing refinished is ever as right as the real deal  :daumenhoch:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 07:54 AM »
I agree that adjustable spanners and grips are for plumbers :LolLolLolLol:
To be honest Steve that was the next thing to try but i was thinking that the shaft will probably try and turn.

The blue tuf i have could be a copy, the guy wasn't 100% sure, but on closer inspection it's not as perfect as the pictures suggest (could be OG you know as it's not as perfect as my red Helix version
even the guy I bought it from said he purchased it from someone that only dealt with NOS not fake items, and the tuf neck packaging it was in was sold separately to someone selling fakes on US ebay.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:06 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:27 AM »
To be honest Steve that was the next thing to try but i was thinking that the shaft will probably try and turn.

The shaft wont turn as it's press fit.
Unwind your main bolt a good few turns and then twat it down to force the shaft out the bottom, then unwind a bit more and twat it again, keep going untill it's all apart. Remember the orientation of the shaft in relation to the stem body for when it goes back together and always protect all surfaces to save damage.

:daumenhoch:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Thanks Steve  :daumenhoch: most helpful, i've never had one apart but soon i will have all the bits in my hand :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tuf neck stem (re anno)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx