gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What nylon is it that we use for pad sets & where to purchase
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What nylon is it that we use for pad sets & where to purchase  (Read 417 times)

Offline Gizmo

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
As above & where to purchase & general cost per m
Looked on tinternet & found ffffffff nothing
Thanks  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: What nylon is it that we use for pad sets & where to purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I bought some stuff good nylon from these people in Liverpool https://www.abakhan.co.uk/

I can't remember exactly, but I bought about 2m of fabric, and a load of Velcro piping for about £12 ish.
It would be difficult to order straight off the internet, without being able to look closely & feel what you're buying. I would suggest to go to a fabric warehouse similar to the one above, find the material you're looking for regardless of colour, then go on the net if needed to source the same type of material in the colour you want.

I bought some white nylon to get some repro Skyway handlebar pads made up, as I ruined my OG one by stupidly putting it in the washing machine.

Here's some pics of the fabric:

The bar pad is a repro. The stem pad is OG.

The top pad is OG, the bottom one is a repro

My repro (Left), OG (Centre), and the cheap copies that are for sale on ebay etc at the moment (Right)- see that the material is much coarser.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23 PM »
So did you make that bar pad Andy?

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Hi Rich. I don't have the skills to make them myself. Here's a quick summary. The orig Skyway designs bar pad that I bought was in great shape, with a few marks. I stupidly thought that putting it in the washing machine would be a good idea. Almost all of the print lifted and peeled off the pad. I therefore scanned my frame pad, fixed the artwork to sharpen it up & resized the image to that of the ruined bar pad.

frame pad scan

fixed artwork

I then went to a local screen printers with the artwork and fabric and asked them to print me a sheet of them off, taking care to space them adequately so as they could be cut out the correct size.

I took the printed fabric to a local clothing alterations shop, and asked them to make up rectangular pieces of fabric, with the logo in the correct place. I got them to sew in hems to make them tidy looking, and attach the Velcro.

I think the screen printers printed about 12 for me, a few of which weren't the best quality prints. I kept a few for myself, and have a few left over. The colour match to my original frame & stem pads is so good, you would only notice if I pointed it out. The fabric is a near perfect match too.

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17 PM »
There is an Abakhan shop right across the road from one of the pubs on the Chester ride if anyone is on the ride that wants any of the Fabric. It's the pub near the canal bridge where you have to have a plastic glass to drink where we put the bikes. I think it's the lock keeper?  :daumenhoch: 

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42 PM »
There is an Abakhan shop right across the road from one of the pubs on the Chester ride if anyone is on the ride that wants any of the Fabric. It's the pub near the canal bridge where you have to have a plastic glass to drink where we put the bikes. I think it's the lock keeper?  :daumenhoch:

Just had a look on the map. Great info  :daumenhoch:

I have some of the material left in white- Am happy to send a small sample to anyone who would like some to take with them for reference. PM me.

Offline Gizmo

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Thanks chaps  :daumenhoch:
Appreciate the info .
Great pads btw  :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What nylon is it that we use for pad sets & where to purchase

gfxgfx
gfx gfx