gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 09:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Midschool date, year, era, decade etc. I need your input
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Midschool date, year, era, decade etc. I need your input  (Read 20471 times)

rodriguez

Re: Midschool date, year, era, decade etc. I need your input
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Looks like the consensus is moving toward 89-03, I'll go with that, Sean seemed happy to go with that earlier maybe that's it done   :-\

Earlier I was thinking 87 but then I read this and together some of the above posts I'm thinking 89.

"In 1988 they went on to release the now legendary Slam Bar, and in 1989 the Dirtbike! Throughout 1989 and early 1990 as The Shield gathered a following in the BMX scene, Greg and Chris found it increasingly difficult to balance the books with their steady diet of BMX hedonism.

By the summer of 1990, Swingrover had taken a job at GT to help support his young family, and choosing to concentrate on his new career path, left S&M in Moeller’s hands. In a van loaded with guys like Dave Clymer and John Paul Rogers, Chris zig-zagged across the country living the “a Facebook groupstyle” a.k.a. sleeping on people couches, drinking their beer and riding as much as possible."

http://www.sandmbikes.com/about-sm/

I know it's not all about S&M
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:37 PM by rodriguez »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46 PM »
this was fun..

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Innit. Never gonna please everyone.

That potted S&M history ain't all of it though is it? And yeah it's not all about S&M back then:

'In early 1987, a then 16-year-old “Mad Dog,” was causing a ruckus in the race scene and working as a test-rider for BMX Action Magazine. In other words, coming across plenty of products that left a lot to be desired. Swingrover, 19, was racing and dirt jumping while working at South Coast Bike Shop in Santa Ana, California. By the summer of 1987 the two decided to go into business with their own frame and fork – the K-9 D-Zine.

According to Moeller, their first offering was a mishmash of his three favorite frames at the time: “We worked from a Profile, my custom team-issued Privateer and a Robinson. It added up to a frame that could be raced well and ridden hard at the trails or on the street without falling apart. We just designed a cool bike for ourselves, gathered money and made two framesets. Our friends wanted them too, so we had 25 framesets made.”

By the fall of 1987, S&M  had replaced the K-9 D-Zine with Moeller’s signature Mad Dog frame. In 1988 they went on to release the now legendary Slam Bar, and in 1989 the Dirtbike! Throughout 1989 and early 1990 as The Shield gathered a following in the BMX scene, Greg and Chris found it increasingly difficult to balance the books with their steady diet of BMX hedonism.

By the summer of 1990, Swingrover had taken a job at GT to help support his young family, and choosing to concentrate on his new career path, left S&M in Moeller’s hands. In a van loaded with guys like Dave Clymer and John Paul Rogers, Chris zig-zagged across the country living the “a Facebook groupstyle” a.k.a. sleeping on people couches, drinking their beer and riding as much as possible.'

And about the K9/Mad Dog:

'The double thick drops were a feature I was having built into my Privateer frames at the time for traveling a lot, and the milled HT and BB came from Cook Brothers, the original manufacture of S&M’s. It all added up to a frame that could be raced well and ridden hard at the trails or on the street without falling apart.'

I realise probably no bugger thinks 1987 now, so just put it to the vote, have done with it and I'll shut the fook up  :LolLolLolLol:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13 PM »
how do we go on, like this?

[] 1987-2003

[] 1989-2003

[] decades

...this of course includes the risk that while the date favouring group as a whole may be a majority, the dacade groups still wins

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13 PM »
I'm out...there's actually no 2 way debate happening here as far as I can see.

Laters potatos  :yahoo_silent:

What debate do you want, I am asking for ideas and thoughts
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:21 PM by stidds »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2014, 09:20 PM »
alternatively seperate votes for start and end exclude that risk

smth like:

start date
[] 1987
[] 1988
[] 1989
[] 1990 or "decades, please"

end date
[] 2002
[] 2003
[] 2004
[] "i already said it decades, please!"

rodriguez

« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29 PM »
alternatively seperate votes for start and end exclude that risk

smth like:

start date
[] 1987
[] 1988
[] 1989
[] 1990 or "decades, please"

end date
[] 20
[] 2003
[] 2004
[] "i already said it decades, please!"

Too complicated Flo, you first version will work though   :daumenhoch:

To use my new favourite phrase the general consensus seems to agree 2003 so looks like we just need to decide it's going to be 1989 and we are sorted.    :slayer:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Sean - in summary are we looking at the decade thing right royally fooking the site structure up (and I think being nigh-on impossible to shift threads around that contain relevant info from the existing sections in to the decade sections - I mean looking at it it'll take someone the best part of a decade itself to do)?

Genuine question as if that is the case (and I wouldn't blame any bugger if it was) then we would have to steer away from the decade idea and plump for making a decision on a year.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Ere - tell you what. How about a compromise? Make Old School (like vintage to old school does and have the same finish/start date so 1980) as it's only really the latter half of 1987 that shifts towards what we know as 'Mid' lose the '87 and have these ere sections:

Old School: 1980 - 1988
Mid School: 1988 - 2003
New School: 2003+

That way in the same way the Vintage and Old school cats work out that a bike from 1980 can be (obviously) either vintage or Old in school. A Streetbeat for instance from 1988 should really go in the Old category and can using those years.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:55 PM by Dannywhac »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Sean - in summary are we looking at the decade thing right royally fooking the site structure up (and I think being nigh-on impossible to shift threads around that contain relevant info from the existing sections in to the decade sections - I mean looking at it it'll take someone the best part of a decade itself to do)?

Genuine question as if that is the case (and I wouldn't blame any bugger if it was) then we would have to steer away from the decade idea and plump for making a decision on a year.

indeed some difference

if 1989 wins you'll have to shift 1987 and 1988 and 2003 =3 years
 if decades you shift 1987, 88, 89 and 2001, 2002 = 5 years

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58 PM »
OK, I am going to stop being devils advocate now.

Looking at some ideas here and very interested in rodriguez post about using the experts we have on the site.

I could look at section moderator(s), and if you guys really think that you could work it if we had the cross-over dates that you could and would put the work in to ensure things ran smoothly then it is something I could take to the powers-that-be and see if they will live with it.

Again it is just another idea to float around, but if that were to happen I also would like some ideas from the experts on how it could work, convince me guys as believe me it is a thankless task moderating a section and I would want to know what I am letting myself and you in for.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00 PM »

I have said that if decades are the way you want it done then I will put the work in to ensure things are crossed over, it will require a lot of messing about from me and a lot of help from you guys, but if that is the way then that is what needs to happen.

I have decided upon this route and decision so I will stick with it.

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Decades are so much easier  :daumenhoch:
Ride it like its stolen

Offline skidmark

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23 PM »

What debate do you want, I am asking for ideas and thoughts, just because something isn't going the way you want it isn't time to throw the toys out the pram surely?

There've been plenty of ideas and the overall opinion is quite clear, but all you're happy with is either a decade or year which most don't agree with.  For that reason I'll give it a miss, call it spitting my dummy out or whatever you like! All my bikes are firmly within the mid era anyway so I'm not one you'll see complaining whatever happens.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30 PM »
i must reiterate that a sole 3 alternatives vote carries the risk of f.ex the votes for 1987unwantingly spoiling the victory for 1989.

Something like the second multi-year vote i presented might at the same time also be in Skid's favour

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2014, 10:34 PM »

What debate do you want, I am asking for ideas and thoughts, just because something isn't going the way you want it isn't time to throw the toys out the pram surely?

There've been plenty of ideas and the overall opinion is quite clear, but all you're happy with is either a decade or year which most don't agree with.  For that reason I'll give it a miss, call it spitting my dummy out or whatever you like! All my bikes are firmly within the mid era anyway so I'm not one you'll see complaining whatever happens.

Fook me my missus is less hormonal when she is on her period.

Did I not just post this......

OK, I am going to stop being devils advocate now.

Looking at some ideas here and very interested in rodriguez post about using the experts we have on the site.

I could look at section moderator(s), and if you guys really think that you could work it if we had the cross-over dates that you could and would put the work in to ensure things ran smoothly then it is something I could take to the powers-that-be and see if they will live with it.

Again it is just another idea to float around, but if that were to happen I also would like some ideas from the experts on how it could work, convince me guys as believe me it is a thankless task moderating a section and I would want to know what I am letting myself and you in for.

The trick is to read everything written in a thread before ranting off on one.  Especially when I am trying to help, however I also have to think of how this site runs and works.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:36 PM by stidds »

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2014, 10:40 PM »
I'm lost and confused and don't care anymore!  :LolLolLolLol:

I blame Danny!  :-*

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47 PM »
if you went decades, couldn't the already posted threads just be left where they are or reposted (and deleted? their choice) by the thread author into the relevant sections if they so wished. if you leave it to the authors of the threads it means stuff will trickle into the freestyle section (for example) a bit at a time n liven rad back up a bit, as I'm sure a lot that's been posted in here hasn't been seen by a good few. Just a change in section title to include decade range should do it  :) IMO

I personally have always viewed midschool from 89-99, no particular reason, other than a lot of functional quirks n thought in design started to be more obvious at this point and the bikes where almost all noticeably easier to throw about and survive (still, only my conception, from what I stumbled across while searching for the unusual and riding said bikes).  I never rode in the 90s and never heard of any bike made after the performer before I got back into this. 89-99 is just the ballpark that's always been nodded to since I've been on this site (10-11 years is it?) and that was before the phrase "Midschool" was even conceived.

decades are the future, will stop the grandkids squabbling in 50 odd years time :LolLolLolLol:

go with what feels right stidds  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2014, 10:49 PM »
some intermission music

Doctor Octagon(Kool Keith) - Dr. Octagonocologyst  --------40:48

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2014, 10:55 PM »

go with what feels right stidds

All I will be doing is putting together a poll for everyone to vote on.

I have been playing devils advocate simply as I have to make sure whatever ideas are thrown in the hat are workable for the site.  I am not being awkward, if an idea is not something we can easily use or maintain then it won't be included in the poll.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2014, 10:57 PM »

go with what feels right stidds

All I will be doing is putting together a poll for everyone to vote on.

I have been playing devils advocate simply as I have to make sure whatever ideas are thrown in the hat are workable for the site.  I am not being awkward, if an idea is not something we can easily use or maintain then it won't be included in the poll.

:daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59 PM »

I am getting quite good at this admin job now eh Daz?  Scary that after 10 years I am starting to make sense  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14 PM »
This subject appears to have gone viral now lol...

Just been browsing through the FB groups and people are asking if their obviously mid bikes/frames fit into the "mid school" category....

Its got people worried now whether or not their stuff is mid anymore  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28 PM »
This subject appears to have gone viral now lol...

Just been browsing through the FB groups and people are asking if their obviously mid bikes/frames fit into the "mid school" category....

Its got people worried now whether or not their stuff is mid anymore  :LolLolLolLol:

It's not mid school anymore just 90's shite  :LolLolLolLol:
Ride it like its stolen

Offline skidmark

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39 PM »
I'm also trying to help stidds, sorry if my tone was frank because it seems to have pissed you off ::)
If you're opening up now to suggestions, great...it's not entirely clear! But either way I'm not fussed and thankfully I can say good night, end of.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Midschool date, year, era, decade etc. I need your input

gfxgfx
gfx gfx