gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 06:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Opinions appreciated on this please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Opinions appreciated on this please  (Read 1687 times)

Offline VtgChrome

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Opinions appreciated on this please
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Hello,

Just wondered if i might be able to get some opinions on this. If im concerning myself unnecessarily then please forgive me, it's been a long while since i've owned a BMX. I opted for a discounted 2012 complete, i can see it's built to a price point but the welding on the rear triangle one side doesn't look too clever to me.

Any thoughts? Or should i just crack on  :-\

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Opinions appreciated on this please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Fookin shocking bit of welding up top there, but unless you're gonna go big and a lot I wouldn't worry  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

griff

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I'm no welding expert, but I can see why you mentioned it, does look a bit rough
Whether it's a problem or not is another matter, someone will probably be along shortly with a more informed view.....

Offline VtgChrome

• Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. The tubing looks to have been cut on an angle making it short on the topside (looking from the side), compensated by stuffing a load of weld in it. I'm a bit pi$$ed off tell you the truth, took me awhile to get the money together. The rest of the bikes pretty good but that jumped out straight away. FWIW it's a Cult bike, opted for it because it seemed the best i could stretch too moneywise.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43 PM »
S' the only problem with buying completes that come in under a certain amount to be honest fella. To be fair it looks like they snip and flatten the bottom of the stays to slide the drops in and weld up, so that's probably what they all look like.

Looks a bit crap but you're still more likely to tear the headtube off - the rear T's quite a strong design even with that weldy-balls-up :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48 PM »
If you're not happy with it, phone the place up and see if they'll swap it?

Ugly weld that.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Exactly, you paid lots for quality, not that.

Offline VtgChrome

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:07 PM »
To be honest i had thought of contacting the shop, i bought it from my local BMX shop trying to support them, feel a bit awkward about going back as daft as that sounds - they were really helpful to be fair but this was the last one they had in storage hence me getting a discount plus it being an old model.

I'm really best guided by people on here ref the welding - a lot more clued up than i am looking around the forum. I have had a few bikes previously, not BMX's but enough to know it's a right Friday weld on this. Other side is a lot cleaner by comparison.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:01 AM »
What shop was it?  If you're not happy then pop back and show them.......they'll probably agree with you and swap it for a new one

Offline VtgChrome

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Called into the shop today and explained the situation and subsequently emailed some pics through. I also contacted CULT themselves via facebook and email a few days ago but haven't heard back.

It's just a shoddy built frame, looking over some other bikes around the same price point as the bikes original rrp brings that home even more.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:00 PM »
looks like that tube has been blown out with the welder , ie the tube has been burnt away , and the hole has been filled with weld/filler metal ,  i would say that it will more than likely fail/break,

i'd take it back and ask for an exchange with an inspection of the replacement before accepting it , or ask for your money back ,

item is poor quality and not fit for purpose ,regardless of how much you paid for it . 

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Does look a bit tatty that.  :chin:
I wouldn't be pleased with it.  "nono"
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

rodriguez

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:25 PM »
What happened   :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Opinions appreciated on this please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx