gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 23, 2024, 09:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Wheel suggestions?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel suggestions?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
Wheel suggestions?
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Guys, I recently picked up a very nice 97 NG dirtbike with lots of nice parts, sans wheels and tyres.

Apart from the usual peregrine or arayas, what would be your suggestion to suit, bearing in mind a sensible budget?
I quite like the sun big city sets from our mates in Grantham, but the hubs look a bit too cheap to be much good (prolite)

Any and all suggestions welcome

Oh yeah, need to be 14mm axles too  :daumenhoch:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Sun BFR's on them there beefy NG's would look spot on. Know in 97 BFR's were them alloy with black placcy inset with quite large white BFR writing on em, but the chrome one's BMXCity have will do :)

Hubbage - Profile SS's or Peregrine Fat Jacks (hasn't Snav on ere got a shit-ton of the hubs?) would be about right?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:28 AM by Dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Sun BFR's on them there beefy NG's would look spot on. Know in 97 BFR's were them alloy with black placcy inset with quite large white BFR writing on em, but the chrome one's BMXCity have will do :)

Hubbage - Profile SS's or Peregrine Fat Jacks (hasn't Snav on ere got a shit-ton of the hubs?) would be about right?

Ta Danny, I had some phat jacks last year but let em go.  Snav has a load of super pro's he keeps teasing people with in the background of his FS threads, but I think he's hanging on for the Apocalypse.  Must be some sort of weapon against the powers of evil?  ;)

Paul, sell me some hubs  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:48 PM »
for me, it has to be g sport homer hubs :-) still the best hubs i have ever had, and riding the new school version now

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »
for me, it has to be g sport homer hubs :-) still the best hubs i have ever had, and riding the new school version now

My ideal choice if the budget would stretch  :daumenhoch:

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Thinks I have a set of nos black homer hubs here, if your interested? 14mm front and back

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Mark the sealed Prolite hubs from BMX city are the bizz for the money mate, got a set on my race Retrogoose.

Not so sure about the looseball versions but given the choice, why would you choose loose over sealed?
Still limping......

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58 PM »
The sealed prolites are good for the money, but, the sealed bearings are not standard sized, they are a chinese b'stard size and unavailable if they collapse, as my rear one did after 3 rides, bmxcity were good boys and had to strip some from a hub as spares, I then rode them for ages with no issues.

Loose ball isn't so bad, particularly with the type of riding most radsters do, sunny pubs and indoor parks.

Its not like the old days for my wheels, being ridden 12 hours a day, on a gritty, wet track 366 days a year, every year!!!

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

rodriguez

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45 PM »
The sealed prolites are good for the money, but, the sealed bearings are not standard sized, they are a chinese b'stard size and unavailable if they collapse, as my rear one did after 3 rides, bmxcity were good boys and had to strip some from a hub as spares, I then rode them for ages with no issues.

Loose ball isn't so bad, particularly with the type of riding most radsters do, sunny pubs and indoor parks.

Its not like the old days for my wheels, being ridden 12 hours a day, on a gritty, wet track 366 days a year, every year!!!

MM

Did you check a bearing supplier?

I'd be surprised if they couldn't supply them.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Thinks I have a set of nos black homer hubs here, if your interested? 14mm front and back

Definitely interested to hear a price on those mate. If you could pm me a pic and price, that would be great  :daumenhoch:

Spen, the only reason loose ball became an option was because of bmxcitys full wheel sets for very good money. Shame they aren't built to sealed hubs

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:54 PM »
10mm second gen Girthy front, 14mm G-Sport Homer rear, look to be them triple wall Alex Supra rims:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-bmx-wheels-/321321324959?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ad03e519f

Not my auction  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

rodriguez

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 04:05 PM »
I was/am in a similar position, bought a set of rims off them but had to go for the LB hubs in 48h 14mm and wanting to change them.

GSports would have been my first choice but too rick for me, so searched for Primo Son of a Bomb and just missed a set on OZBMX.

Finally had a choice between GT mohawk and Odyssey Pro Factor, plumped for the Odyssey ones, when I googled them an old RADBMX thread came up with you (wini) in it apart from that thread I can't find anything else out about them at all, look OK well made etc.

Are they OK?

Anybody know owt about them?

BMXguru has some Primo SOB's at a good price on ebay they are 10mm and he won't ship to UK though, there's a seller on OZbmx has some as well.

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Yeah Rodriguez, tried 3 bearing suppliers locally and googled the bearing code, nothing available, consensus among bearing people was they were left over from a large bespoke order and available for next to nothing...

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

rodriguez

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Yeah Rodriguez, tried 3 bearing suppliers locally and googled the bearing code, nothing available, consensus among bearing people was they were left over from a large bespoke order and available for next to nothing...

MM

Thought you probably had but just thought I'd ask. 

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:25 AM »
Pretty sure there have been a few sets if primo sob hubs on ozbmx recently mate. I can help get them shipped if you find anything you want, but postage isn't cheap from here on anything more than a brake cable...

Yep, I did have a set of oddys too, seemed nice hubs but never fitted them I don't think?

rodriguez

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Pretty sure there have been a few sets if primo sob hubs on ozbmx recently mate. I can help get them shipped if you find anything you want, but postage isn't cheap from here on anything more than a brake cable...

Yep, I did have a set of oddys too, seemed nice hubs but never fitted them I don't think?

Cheers appreciate that but postage is a real killer I was quoted $90-100 for a set of tyres recently.

Primo SOB hubs became available in '97 so they'd suit your bike, if not mohawk hubs would be a good alternative too.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Wheel suggestions?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx