gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder Coating
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Powder Coating  (Read 1019 times)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Powder Coating
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:16 PM »
Ok Im getting a frame & Forks Powder Coated soon, is it best to mask up inside the Headtube, Bottom Bracket & around the forks where the headset fits.

theRuler

Re: Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:18 PM »
mask off the thread on the fork steerer, and any ad lugs (where the brake mounts) but leave the rest

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:32 PM »
mask off the thread on the fork steerer, and any ad lugs (where the brake mounts) but leave the rest

Will I get the headset & Bottom Bracket in ok ?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:16 PM »

I normally skim the excess powder out with a Dremmel Chris. Leaving the open end tubing unmasked ensures the ends are nicely coated

Steve

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:24 PM »
OK thanks guys, this is the first time Iv taken anything to be powdercoated in a few years.

:daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:27 PM »

I normally skim the excess powder out with a Dremmel Chris. Leaving the open end tubing unmasked ensures the ends are nicely coated

Steve

exactly right
nibble the paint off when you fit the cups

the powder coaters where i go sometimes mask it for me and do a poor job. i have told them to cease this folly.

mask the fork threads though. nitromors will fetch it off if you dont mask, but its a bit laborious

MeddlE

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:49 AM »
If it's a euro bottom bracket then mask off that thread too.

weston

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:15 AM »
your powder coater should mask all this off for you as there is only certain tape you can use for this job, just tell them when you take it..

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:18 AM »
i have used sticky labels (i have them in abundance) to mask the steerer threads before
and other times just regular tape

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 06:52 PM »
your powder coater should mask all this off for you as there is only certain tape you can use for this job, just tell them when you take it..

i have used sticky labels (i have them in abundance) to mask the steerer threads before
and other times just regular tape

So should I tape it up with masking tape or leave it to the powder coater  ???

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 07:08 PM »
dont mask it yourself, the tape you use should be high temp,  i tend to use bearing cups that mask it perfectly and all i do is tap them in half way, your powder coater should know this or supply him with an old set of cups, one last try is use your own cups then strip them after.
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 07:22 PM »
dont mask it yourself, the tape you use should be high temp,  i tend to use bearing cups that mask it perfectly and all i do is tap them in half way, your powder coater should know this or supply him with an old set of cups, one last try is use your own cups then strip them after.

Tell you what Dan, I think I will wait until I can get over to Rom & let you do it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder Coating

gfxgfx
gfx gfx