gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Z Rim hub paint removal?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Z Rim hub paint removal?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Z Rim hub paint removal?
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Hi

I was wondering whats the best stuff to use to remove the paint from the z rim hubs,unfortunatley a bike shop tried to remove the rear freewheel and scored the back hub and left deep grooves in it,how on earth they managed it i dont know,and still had the gumption to charge me,ive tried nitromors to remove the paint but its just not happening,really need something stronger etc...am in the U.K so if anyone from there has any idea's let me know....CHEERS

Graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Z Rim hub paint removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Think I once left them in a tub of thinners for a couple if days...   ???
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24 PM »
:O a couple of days am looking to get it stripped in minutes then i need to learn how to rebuild the rims again the joys lol

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Are you sure it's paint and not annodise?

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15 PM »
I think you're right, it is anno. Use oven pride or similar to strip the anno BUT be careful not to leave it in on too long - check after 10 minutes  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36 PM »
 I just presumed they were ACS hubs,  if they are its paint, if not its more likely ano'... :coolsmiley:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06 PM »
surely if it was paint on the ACS Z hub,it would have came off with nitromors,i even tried dot 4 brake fluid earlier and still no luck.

Hi all,well i tried dot 4 on the hubs no joy,i take it that the z rims hubs were powdercoated,so whats the best stuff to use to remove powdercoat?

I will have to try something on the rim to see if i can bring it into more a new light,as they look a little tired so what to use on the rim,there the mike buff so they are the off white color.....any idea's on these subjects.

Offline childhooddream

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Get some pics are mate.

If they are mix buff rims u don't want to clean too much as they were originally off white.

Also we can see if the hubs have been powdered or annodised. :)

Got a weird feeling they may have even been plastic coated  ???

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:20 PM »

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09 PM »
hey childhoodream look at that link there an scroll down thats the exact hub,it would remind of looking a plastic type of coating if so how do i remove that,god my hands will be aching after doing this last hub lol the joys,might be easier just to put other hubs in them,,,tell me is it easy to rebuild the rims,and 48h araya rims too never did it before,and theres only 1 video on youtube on how to do it.

cheers

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Them hubs in the link have been annodized. Like's been said above, you need to use oven pride to strip it. I'd use a paint brush to apply just keep bushing in all over until you see the colour lifting then give it a rinse in cold water then repeat. It don't take long.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Oh and strip the hubs aswell. ;)
Do it proper like.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45 PM »
yeah i will get oven pride or mr muscle oven cleaner,i was going to go to an auto shop and see if they do industrial stripper,but  i read a lot of one use oven stuff,so would that take the gold of my few arayas if and when i get round to stripping them.

I thought anodized stuff was just a very thin layer,but itake it am wrong on that one,tell me as am new to here is there somewhere on here you can buy bmx stuff from ones on here etc etc.

thanks graham :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:59 PM »
"about £6 per bottle.....but with that bottle i stripped, pete quads rims, hubs and stem, three of my own stems, and a set of dia compe calipers and levers"  ...says Dave Rombloke
->http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17958.0.html

on buying stuff here:
site supporter tag for 10quid a year - needed if you want to sell/buy off the sales/wanted sections (helps fund the annual Rad meet :))

think you now have to "set up and auto payment for your site tag, it will remember the date and automatically buy your tag again for you after 12 months  :daumenhoch:"
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,164954.0.html

i don't know how that really works, though, as i'm still on the old site tag that expires after at a certain date

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04 AM »
yeah i will get oven pride or mr muscle oven cleaner,i was going to go to an auto shop and see if they do industrial stripper,but  i read a lot of one use oven stuff,so would that take the gold of my few arayas if and when i get round to stripping them.

I thought anodized stuff was just a very thin layer,but itake it am wrong on that one,tell me as am new to here is there somewhere on here you can buy bmx stuff from ones on here etc etc.

thanks graham :daumenhoch:
Don't get no mr muscle or no industrial shit just get some fookin oven pride. You been told 3 times now.  ;D

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35 AM »
ok custard will do i get some onway home from work tomorrow and give all the stuff  i wand done a try but i know my luck nothing will happen :D always happens me :( no luck at all,need my workshop built aswell before i start anything really as there is bikes an parts all over the place spare room is like a bike shop and there is still loads more coming this week lol.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10 AM »
:daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:16 PM »
OK guy's i got the oven pride what do i do now how would you mix this...then willi just apply it with a brush etc

cheers
graham

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20 PM »

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46 PM »
ok,so can i not mix the stuff and put it in a plastic container and then put it on the the hubs etc with a paintbrush,so basically you buy 1 oven pride to do you once,be more money efficient if you could use and use at it without putting it all into the big bag.

cheerz

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Mix it.  ??? Don't mix it with anything.  ::) 
Put the hubs in a small plastic container. Pour some oven pride onto the hubs (not the full bottle ffs) and use a brush to spread the solution all over the hubs, working it into all the nooks and crannies. Keep moving and spreading the solution around with the brush until you start seeing the colour lifting off. Rinse in cold water and repeat if necessary.   :daumenhoch:
All the clues needed to complete this task coupled with a bit of common sense are in the thread or in links within this thread. It's quite simple really.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Cheers custardlips,but when common sense comes into i could get into bother very easily think i will work it around the araya rims aswell and see what happens then if i mess them up it they will be sent to be rechromed.

cheerz

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Cheers custardlips,but when common sense comes into i could get into bother very easily think i will work it around the araya rims aswell and see what happens then if i mess them up it they will be sent to be rechromed.

cheerz
Use the bag for the rims.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23 PM »
have a few things in the bag with the rims,but guess what,it doesnt seem to be lifting the stuff of the hubs,so what next guys do i need to get industrial stripper or something?

cheerz :D

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Them hubs in the link have been annodized. Like's been said above, you need to use oven pride to strip it. I'd use a paint brush to apply just keep bushing in all over until you see the colour lifting then give it a rinse in cold water then repeat. It don't take long.  :daumenhoch:

were you referring to the blue hubs being anno?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Z Rim hub paint removal?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx