gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Snapped seat tube repair advice needed :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Snapped seat tube repair advice needed :)  (Read 719 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Snapped seat tube repair advice needed :)
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Hi chaps :)
I have picked up a resto project, which has a snapped seat tube. Here is the pic:

I beleive it was originaly chrome and wanted to ask if this is something that can be repaired at a local welders? It will be a rider and I will probably strip it first to see what the chrome is like and then have the repair done. I believe I need a 1" tube with a 16 gauge, but have no idea what that refers to :-[ If the chrome is no good then I will get it re powdered after the repair.
I dont mind too much on how it looks, so long as the weld is strong. Any advice on where to take it and what I need to ask for and do I need to know if it needs tig welding, braze or mig welding  :-\ as cheap as possible would be good :daumenhoch:
Many thanks fellas, Jonathan :daumenhoch:

Offline Chapperz

• Curb Endo
  • Always too slow on the dib dobs!
  • Rated:
Re: Snapped seat tube repair advice needed :)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Welding a piece on top is probably a non starter. Getting it to line up perfectly would be pretty difficult especially when you factor in the distortion from the heat of welding. Not saying it's impossible, but would think unless you can get some bar down it ( brass machined into a dog bone relief) to aid alignment maybe you're best chance. Other way would to be grind the lot out and put a new one in complete down to the BB.
Sure you'll get loads more suggestions. May need to run a dremmel down to clean up any repair weld, so you don't end up with a stuck seat post in the future.
Cleethorpes Old School Ride Out 2018. 14th July 2018

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:16 PM »
you would be better off getting the complete tube replaced as it wouldn't be

strong enough for a rider with a piece welded on,also if it's chrome under the paint you would

really need that stripping off before welding :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Thanks sawzall I was hoping you would post as I have seen your handy work on other threads and have admired your work fella :) so it looks like my idea of a bargain could work out pricey :-[

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04 PM »
don't forget the gusset wants repairing too....    ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:15 PM »
  ;D bloody ell, you don't miss much do you ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Snapped seat tube repair advice needed :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx