gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Advice on best 80's twin top tube for a rider please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice on best 80's twin top tube for a rider please  (Read 5483 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Advice on best 80's twin top tube for a rider please
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Hi everyone.
I am still a bit of a newbie and have built a few old school freestyle builds for looking at and now want to put together something I can ride.
I prefer the look of a twin top tube and just wanted to ask some advice on, which twin top tubes make the best rider :)
Am I right in thinking that racing frames make better riders than freestyle frames and does a longer top tube mean a better ride?
Are the torker 280 x's or pro's a better ride than normal torkers :-\
I have a firebird and a quad and a hutch trickstar and was looking to get something different than these to ride. I will only be going up and down country lanes with the odd hill here and there and really could do with advice on an ideal frame set and what a good set up consists of.
I am only small like 5 foot something and only a little fat :-[
Are 80's pk rippers better than the twin top tubes? and how come you dont have laybacks on racing frames?? Apologies for the questions and my budget for a frame and forks is going to be around £200 - £300.
I just thought that this time round, I would ask all my questions first, before buying parts and frames ect :daumenhoch:
Thanks for any advice and help people :)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Advice on best 80's twin top tube for a rider please
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16 PM »
Oh yes and does anyone have out for sale :D

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I don't think you can look further than a Torker pro x bud, Kuwahara exhibitionists are excellent, but very few on the ground.
Or go for a Gt Pro Performer, perfect riders 👍

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Oldschool "twin" top-tube Freestyle frames in order of reidability from my own persoanl experience:

1 - MRD Badlander (19.25" TT)
2 - 1988 Haro Sport (20" TT)
3 - 1987 Haro Sport (19.5" TT)
4 - GT Pro Performer (19.5" TT I think)
5 - Haro FST (18.5" TT)
6 - Haro Master (18.25" TT I think)
7 - Haro Gen 1 (17.5" or 18" TT I think)

etc etc, right down to...

99 - Firebird Freestyler (18" or 18.5" TT) - sorry Firebird owners, these ride terrible due to the high BB and crap head angle!

Newschool twin top-tube freestyle framesets

1 - Supercross Extension (20.5" TT)
2 - Subrussa DTT (20.25 - 21" TT, depends what you ordered)

TT length matters, but more importantly is the head angle. o/s have lazier angles so they turn a bit slower and feel a bit less stable, n/s are steeper, quicker and more stable :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Rebel Freestyler, Reynolds tubing, lovely.

See Rick1970's for sale thread. :smitten:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Even though its not a full twin top tube the jap built Haro Sports are lovely bikes to ride. No apologies to the Torker lovers, but ,those are a bit twitchy from my experience. Go for the jap built ones, cheaper and nicer riders IMO.  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00 PM »
How is a sport or performer twin top tube?

On that basis get a street beat or even better an 88 beat as it has a longer TT  :daumenhoch:

Your trick star will ride well

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Some great info there spen. Thanks alot for it. I see torkers didnt even make your list of top ten :) does anyone know the torker top tube lengths on the 280 compared to the 280 x or pro models?
I think a badlander would be out of my price range, but I was thinking about it. I saw the rebel freestyler, but wasnt sure if freestylers would ride as good as a racing frame and am surprised that gt pro performers are a favourite and saw a jap one go on here for £120 last week :)
Anyone know the top tube length on the rebel freestyler?? Realy appreciate all this info fellas :)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 01:11 PM »

You just squint a little Rob and put the cemera into "soft focus" mode...... :LolLolLolLol:

Unfortunatley all the pure twin top-tubes like Gen1's and Torkers were a bit twitchy to ride tbh, so we all seem to be advising the same sort of thing here mate :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Oh, I meant to say my list was from bikes I had personally owned or ridden in anger :daumenhoch:

Never had or ridden a Torker to comment unfortunately, but I would like to build one at some point :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22 PM »

You just squint a little Rob and put the cemera into "soft focus" mode...... :LolLolLolLol:

Unfortunatley all the pure twin top-tubes like Gen1's and Torkers were a bit twitchy to ride tbh, so we all seem to be advising the same sort of thing here mate :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol: the Sport is half twin top tube Rob. S spen said its more about the riding experience so a bit of a compromise on the length of twin tubing.  :angel:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Get a street beat then  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Twin top tubes.

The 280 is the same F+F as the L.P which ran from May 1978 to Aug 1982, they just started calling it a 280 in September of 1982. The 280X is the same F+F as the MX, which ran from some time in 1977 to late 1982, then they started calling it the 280X and changed out the gusset from circle to oblong. I think all four versions have an 18 1/2" TT with some variation on the head tube angles.

I have an L.P and had the MX. I personally find them twitchy to ride due to the headtube and seat mast angles and they are super light too. That's just me though as I prefer to throw my bikes around. I can't comment on the 280 or 280X as I never owned one mate.

You have to remember though, these Torkers are race frames, not freestylers.

I had an '87 Haro Master which I found really heavy when you put the gear on it. Nice cockpit area though and good size.

I have a Kuwahara Exhibitionist and have found it is the best twin top I have ever owned for riding and trying tricks on. It's lightish, good cockpit size, the headtube and seat mast angles are pretty spot on too. Only troublr there is, you will really struggle to find one  :(

I have to agree with the others on a Dp. Terrible bike to ride. High BB and the head angle is too laid back. Very twitchy front end and creates an unmovable cockpit area for adults.
BANNED

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Great info on the Torker 280 there. I was under the impression that racing frames made better riders than freestylers, where I got that from, I dont know :-[ but as I was looking at race frames I thought that Torkers were the only twin top tube racers :-\
I was pretty set on a Torker, but now not so sure. I appreciate the good advice so far. I really wanted a twin top tube, but may decide otherwise depending on whats around :)
Would you say that 80's pk rippers are better than the frame sets mentioned above? Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all your comments :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:44 PM by threaders »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Rippers have a great geometry and great cockpit space. They do make for great riders but I wouldn't want to use one every day, especially if you sit all the time. Use a straight post on one too, not a layback, as the seat clamp area is vulnerable to cracking.

This is the best side shot I have for you to see the Torker geometry. This is an '81 so still an early one. Geometry's changed as the sport progressed so you will need to ask someone with a 280X  :daumenhoch:

BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:48 PM »
My mate is selling his Torker 280 Air though, if you are interested, a Torker designed for freestyle  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54 PM »
A fooker is what you need, rare though.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I am considering pretty much everything at the moment as I have a little money for a change and have the next few days off to think about old school bmx's :daumenhoch: Got to be able to ride the next build though. :)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 02:57 PM »
get yourself to a meet up and try a few bikes to see what you like.  :daumenhoch:

If all else fails, do what we all do and buy lots of bikes  ;D

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05 PM »
get yourself to a meet up and try a few bikes to see what you like

Best advice ever that.

You'll go home and buy a newschool if you want to ride it of course :shocked: >:D :2funny: :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

griff

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:18 PM »
how tall are you threaders?

probably best you don't take advice on 'cockpit area' from Spen & Terry as they're both vertically challenged :teef:

as mentioned above, get yourself out on a ride and try a few for size
you can have a go on my ripper if you like :teef:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Just measured and I think I am verticaly challenged as well at 66 inches :P A meet would be good, but I am in the arse end of Nowhere in Norfolk :) I did have a pk ripper, but sold it before ever riding it. It was the one on here that had a reweld on the rear seatstay :)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 03:24 PM »
probably best you don't take advice on 'cockpit area' from Spen & Terry as they're both vertically challenged

You can yourself to that list John as I'm taller than you :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Rippers are lovely bikes to ride as are Supergoose 3s, Skyway TAs and Redline PL20s (if you want something OS that is roomy and fast) ;)

But then we are going away from twin top tubes.

griff

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32 PM »
probably best you don't take advice on 'cockpit area' from Spen & Terry as they're both vertically challenged

You can yourself to that list John as I'm taller than you :LolLolLolLol:

of course you are, my little munchkin  :-*

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Advice on best 80's twin top tube for a rider please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx