gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000 - Stripping & Anodising
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MX1000 - Stripping & Anodising  (Read 518 times)

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
MX1000 - Stripping & Anodising
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Chaps,

HELP!! I am in the final stages of my GT Winterland and have been hunting for ages for gold MX1000. I managed to find NOS one 83 stamped in gold, and have spent literally hundreds of pounds on that, and two 83 stamped RH levers.

Prior to sourcing I found some reproductions from Japan, but they are the brightest gold ever and TBH would make the back look ****.

Saw an 84 set (F&B) MX1000 and two levers, 84 stamped on eBay and managed to get them for about £60. They are in an 'ok' state but the seller seems to have stripped them or rubbed them down. I am going to try Custom Riders and see if I send my originals down if they can match the gold…….. but tow concerns:

1) The scratches that the seller has put on all components - will they be covered up by the ano process?

2) I have been told I need to strip them - I would say they virtually are stripped. What would strip ano?

Thanks as ever!!!!

:daumenhoch:

rodriguez

Re: MX1000 - Stripping & Anodising
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Chaps,

HELP!! I am in the final stages of my GT Winterland and have been hunting for ages for gold MX1000. I managed to find NOS one 83 stamped in gold, and have spent literally hundreds of pounds on that, and two 83 stamped RH levers.

Prior to sourcing I found some reproductions from Japan, but they are the brightest gold ever and TBH would make the back look ****.

Saw an 84 set (F&B) MX1000 and two levers, 84 stamped on eBay and managed to get them for about £60. They are in an 'ok' state but the seller seems to have stripped them or rubbed them down. I am going to try Custom Riders and see if I send my originals down if they can match the gold…….. but tow concerns:

1) The scratches that the seller has put on all components - will they be covered up by the ano process?

2) I have been told I need to strip them - I would say they virtually are stripped. What would strip ano?

Thanks as ever!!!!

:daumenhoch:

1) No the scratches/scuffs will stay unless you polish them out the best finish is achieved when the parts are polished.

2) Oven Pride or Caustic Soda

You'll probably have to remove the Quick Release as the annodising process eats steel.

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:22 PM »
L E G E N D

Thank you!!!

Will get some Oven Pride and find a way of polishing it all up!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:26 PM »
There's lots of threads on here about how to remove anodise. If you search around for that under the 'search' section on the top tab you should find some useful tips and steps on how to do it.

Good luck  :daumenhoch:

Offline Orange777

• My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:27 PM »
 :pilky:

DOH!

Always forget the search function!

Thank you!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000 - Stripping & Anodising

gfxgfx
gfx gfx