gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Will a 20 inch bmx be to small?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Will a 20 inch bmx be to small?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline jasonrct

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Will a 20 inch bmx be to small?
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Hi guys i'm looking to get an old school bmx to restore and use now and again on local racetrack and skate park.
Last time i had bmx's was in the 80s so a bit worried that the mongoose californian i want to get will be to small..
Im 5ft 10 and 190lbs ...
Grateful for any advice..  :daumenhoch:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Will a 20 inch bmx be to small?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Depends how hard you want to ride it really. The Californian is quite short, you would be better off with a supergoose or a proclass as they  have longer top tubes.  ;)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:51 AM »
agree with Jim ... wheel size is not a problem but the old school top tubes can feel a bit short.

If you committed to and old school ride then a layback seatpost and a long reach XL stem ( like a DK ) will help  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline jasonrct

• Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Depends how hard you want to ride it really. The Californian is quite short, you would be better off with a supergoose or a proclass as they  have longer top tubes.  ;)

Cheers for the reply.. At the moment the Supergoose is probably out of my price range and the Californian is more affordable to me..
I don't fancy a cruiser so thinking of maybe going down the layback post and xl stem route as suggested by Ed209..

Offline jasonrct

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:42 PM »
agree with Jim ... wheel size is not a problem but the old school top tubes can feel a bit short.

If you committed to and old school ride then a layback seatpost and a long reach XL stem ( like a DK ) will help  :daumenhoch:

Cheers for the reply i'll look into it..

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Layback is generally a must if you want to ride it for any distance but hacking about on a track is not so bad. The extra length stem can make it a bit twitchy.

Unfortunately most bits in this hobby are going to be expensive and if you think that you are just going to buy one bike then think again  :2funny:

Personally I would try to find a longer top tube bike rather than get a shorter TT with extra long stem, you can get some that are still reasonably priced if you hunt around.
Especially if you want to use it on a track and at a skatepark, as you will find it difficult to stop yourself from flipping off the back.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:29 PM »
oldschool great for pub cruises and charity rides, if you want to ride parks though get yourself a cheap 2nd hand new school

and welcome to RAD :)

Offline jasonrct

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 03:24 PM »
oldschool great for pub cruises and charity rides, if you want to ride parks though get yourself a cheap 2nd hand new school

and welcome to RAD :)

Hi thanks Griff. Only thing i have about new school is the shape of the frames and the seat is flat against the frame with hardly any seatpost

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Im 6ft and my 83 Expert runs a subtle laynack and CW reps raked forward a touch and is mucho comfo ;)
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:56 PM »
look at getting a decent midschool race frame, s&m, tnt, hyper, gt, auburn, freeagent, se (assassin) etc. mid freestyle frames tend to be shorter and heavy, the race frames are longer 21"+ and ride really well and should stand up to punishment (all mine have) and they are a bargain at the mo and should become more sought after as time goes on. So you can buy it, thrash it and get ya money back if ya wanna progress to new school rides  :daumenhoch:

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:18 PM »
^^ agreed.
80's bikes have a bit of charm and nostalgia but they're pants to ride.
Get something 1990-onwards. A top qual race frame or a crossover like an s&m dirtbike or something with rideable geometry and a bit of strength will be a more sound approach.
It will save your wallet and your health in the long run.
Get to a rad event of some sort if you can, try some different bikes before you take the plunge.
Just for ref. Im 6 foot 1, weigh 13 stone and anything other than 20" wheels feels wrong.
I ride a mixture of mid and new parts, at the same time.
And you can put your seat wherever you want. I wouldn't ever run mine as low as current style dictates. I need somewhere to put my arse during my frequent moments of slumped heavy breathing.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I'd agree with this lot - I had an early 90s Haro Group 1, 21" top tube, it was brilliant for general riding, skatepark, jumping in the woods and of course Old School racing  :4_17_5:. The complete bike was £50 on ebay [well spotted Madd Dogg   :daumenhoch:]. I had to change a few bits but it did me fine and I'm 6ft+ tall and about the same wide.
The TNT which has a 20.5" top tube actually has at least the same amount of leg room as it has a much steeper seattube BTW - that's a nice handling frame.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:06 AM »
But mid school doesnt scratch the old school itch  :angel:

Offline jasonrct

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Anyone know what the GT Dyno freestyler are like? Noticed a few on ebay. do these  have a bigger top tube ?
Thanks

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Will a 20 inch bmx be to small?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx