gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 06:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  96 Worlds - Brighton
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 96 Worlds - Brighton  (Read 1749 times)

Geth

96 Worlds - Brighton
« on: August 11, 2006, 12:25 PM »
1996 World Champs Brighton - Dale Holmes wins! :4_17_5:

jon016847

Re: 96 Worlds - Brighton
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 01:23 PM »
good racin !!!!

aaronsat

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:58 PM »
Do you know if the track is still in use at Brighton?

DR VINOAH

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:18 PM »
ace racin
from the DH :4_17_5:

baldbmxer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I can remember it like it was yesterday. Wow did we get drunk that night!

It was a great day for UK BMX

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 05:53 PM »
Wicked Vid , Stumpy/Foster/Boutte/Clayton etc .

10 years ago  :wtf: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 06:41 PM »
who else was there either in the crowd or racing?

i went down for the weekend & it was awesome, the seafront on both Friday & Saturday night was just full of bikes! old school BMX's everywhere!
apart from last weekend that was the most oldschool BMX bikes i've seen in one place since BITD  :coolsmiley:

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 06:44 PM »
real shame the track is only 5 mins from my house, but its over grown and almost unrideable now as mx'ers have chewed up all the lips, also jipos have nicked all the bricks from the start hill lanes :(

you could still ride it last year and jump the whoops on the first corner and the next set were still jumpable

Dales technique on the rhythm sections won it for him! also people still wore jt face masks in 96 :P

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 06:49 PM »
listen to the crowd, absolutlely nuts  :idiot2:
 :) DINGO :)

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 07:24 PM »
isn't it about time the UK held another Worlds?

we could make a good weekend of it  :daumenhoch:

AJWD

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I'm going to take my MRDs up for a go, as I live down the bottom of Elm Grove, so not far. First time on a track in 20 years, so will probably end up in the hospital at the top of Elm Grove!

It could be messy.

Adey.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 09:31 PM »
I'm going to take my MRDs up for a go, as I live down the bottom of Elm Grove, so not far. First time on a track in 20 years, so will probably end up in the hospital at the top of Elm Grove!

It could be messy.

Adey.

:LolLolLolLol:

Go steady Adey  ;)

jonpaul11

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 12:27 AM »
great post... not seen that for ages.

last time I was on Brighton track was 5 years ago - the surface was gone... shame really. Not been back since. The track is not in the best areas either - I wouldn't go alone, leaving the car at the gate on the road was a worry - being down the hill in the track with kids around on motobikes was not something I really enjoyed - and I wasn't alone...

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 10:04 PM »
I was there at that worlds cheering him on - amazing. I live near the brighton track and its knackered. Ive been on to the counclil about funding to get it up to scratch, but apparantly tthey say there are ancient travellers rights on that land - it was once used by geniune gypsies who used to camp there and sell horses at the race track nearby - the land is still kind of there for that so they say, so thats why when the convoys of vans etc arrive [as they do from time to time] they have trouble getting them out.
Im still on the case though - that track has great UK bmx history - it needs to be reborn!

AJWD

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I do some freelance work for the Youth Offending Team, and Nacro, so I'll probably know half the kids down there - they'll probably try it on though the little gits!

uncle buck

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 10:35 AM »
great stuff, great memories...would love to get a video of that race, never saw any footage before, Alex made two finals that weekend on cruiser and 20inch...If you know where i could get one Geth, let me know..or anyone else..

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Shame the quality of the footage is sow low, could hardly tell what was happening, let alone watching someones style.  :(

dialledbikes

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Brighton Worlds was awesome.  I'd just got back into BMX about a year before and went down for the whole weekend to watch.  Seeing Dale win brought a tear to the eye and the crowd went nuts!

I used to drive down to the track to ride it most weekends after the Worlds for about a year but within a few months after the Worlds it had become abandoned and pikeys/crossers had started to destroy it.  There used to be a couple of local kids we saw every weekend down there who were pretty good and raced nationals (I think one of them was called Jamie and rode a red Standard).  Wonder where they are now?

JJR

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I was there too...........and yes  :wtf: 10 years ago  :shocked:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  96 Worlds - Brighton

gfxgfx
gfx gfx