gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tioga beartrap 2 - stamped or blank?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tioga beartrap 2 - stamped or blank?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Tioga beartrap 2 - stamped or blank?
« on: November 30, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Evening guys,
                      Can anyone help me on dating Tioga beartrap 2 headsets please?  Are the ones that are stamped 'Tioga Japan' on the locknut the newer repop ones or original 80s ones? 

Any help or advice you could give on this would be much appreciated  :daumenhoch:

Thank you

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Tioga beartrap 2 - stamped or blank?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:17 PM »

I'm sure the stamped ones are earlier. But I'm not sure when the unstamped ones were produced from.  :-\

Someone will confirm.  :)

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Early 80's Tioga bear trap 2 have a stamped TANGE motocross locknut with a rubber O-ring on the underside, copper coloured cages with 18 balls and a gold colour lock washer. (light coloured box)some come with a crown race that is larger, like a built in dirt skirt to protect the bottom bearing but this is rare. Japan made

83 to about 90 have a stamped TIOGA nut with a rubber O-ring on the underside, normal coloured cages with standard amount of balls (12 i think) and a chrome lock washer. (light coloured box) Japan made

newer versions have a Tioga nut with an  O-ring, the lock washer is thinner and a different pitch to the ones above and are not interchangeable. (light coloured box or black and blue box) Taiwan made

new versions have no stamping, no O-ring, not as nice quality, nice chrome though. (black/blue box) Taiwan made

You've got to look carefully before you purchase these, I've been caught out with this more than once.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:18 AM by snoppy72 »

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43 PM »
That's great advice and really helpful - thanks very much  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tioga beartrap 2 - stamped or blank?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx