gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 01:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repops, copies and fakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Repops, copies and fakes  (Read 5177 times)

rodriguez

Repops, copies and fakes
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Ever wondered what's out there?

Had a read through this thread last night and was pretty shocked at the variety of stuff that's been done, legitimately or otherwise.

http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/56303-all-things-reproduced/

rodriguez

Re: Repops, copies and fakes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:44 PM »
For pics skip to page 6 for the fake redline chainwheels with the OS font and page 9 for the JMC seatposts, cook bros bb and redline stems etc.

Would have put up an image but I'm avoiding photobucket since it fooked up my other laptop.

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:47 PM »
ITS SCARY :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1

it would be handy if someone started a thread about how to spot the difference between genuine and repo stuff.

i nearly got turned over a few years back on a set of aerospeeds luckily i got tipped off  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17 PM »
ITS SCARY :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1

it would be handy if someone started a thread about how to spot the difference between genuine and repo stuff.

i nearly got turned over a few years back on a set of aerospeeds luckily i got tipped off  :daumenhoch:

That could have been costly.....

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12 PM »
It is very very sad and another wedge driving me away from old school BMX  :yahoo_silent:

I like the way Waza, the guy who has the other working Skyway hub press in Oz, advices about repop parts and he admits to selling repop Mongoose pads, grips and decals  :idiot2:   

BANNED

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Some of those items were done by people on here, they were honest about them and people who bought them, did so knowingly, what happened after that is where any issues peope have lie.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37 PM »
It's an epic and very thought prevoking thread mate :4_17_5:
I'm amazed by the variety of fake parts and repops out there :-[
I personally have bought repop bits and bobs here and there but only due to necessity or financial reasons.
In an ideal world I'd buy original parts over repops every day of the week but I don't want £150 grips that will be worn out on rad rides or spend £200 on a seat that Paul Barlow will without doubt  ruin within minutes of coming into contact with it  :LolLolLolLol:(sorry Paul  :))

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:45 PM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Bloody hell,

There is a lot of speculation in that thread, i'm sure there's loads of re popped stuff out there but at least most of the stuff has difference in built from the originals (if made by the same company) as for copy gear the Chinese will produce anything if it makes money, their economy must be 80% based on making Fake shit  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:04 PM »
It's an epic and very thought prevoking thread mate :4_17_5:
I'm amazed by the variety of fake parts and repops out there :-[
I personally have bought repop bits and bobs here and there but only due to necessity or financial reasons.
In an ideal world I'd buy original parts over repops every day of the week but I don't want £150 grips that will be worn out on rad rides or spend £200 on a seat that Paul Barlow will without doubt  ruin within minutes of coming into contact with it  :LolLolLolLol:(sorry Paul  :))

Have you tried very fine wet & dry paper, and/or plastic polish on that seat Ant? Nick (That Swan Guy) had success in sorting out his green GT seat (see tech & resto section for the thread).

In an ideal world I would only buy original parts, but i'm just not prepared to pay £1500+ for a set of orig Hutch cranks. The repops cost enough! £550 I think, including import duty/VAT/handling fees.  I did buy orig Hutch grips (£160 ish for a dyed black set), as they can't/haven't yet been reproduced/copied.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 10:07 PM »
but i'm just not prepared to pay £1500+ for a set of orig Hutch cranks

I know of someone who spent £230 on 5 sets of brake pads  :idiot2:  (not me)
BANNED

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Have you tried very fine wet & dry paper, and/or plastic polish on that seat Ant? Nick (That Swan Guy) had success in sorting out his green GT seat (see tech & resto section for the thread).

Thanks for the heads up..will search out that thread mate :4_17_5:

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 10:41 PM »
that GHP Trix (page 5) is sweet :smitten:

repop is ok, just need to be different  "bump"

cool thread tho -- lovin that catfight between JMC and that other guy ;D

-- someone here had the IDEA: ..... we neeed a repop thread; starting with MX 1000's (reprpos dont have dates, aint so?)

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56 PM »
Fake old school gear has been kicking around for years.

A lot of the older fake stuff is extremely misleading and has probably been sold on to the unsuspecting several times over... as real.

I certainly wouldn't buy any Hutch parts. The guy they talk about in that thread made a shed load of fake parts, a lot of that stuff ended up in the UK... and I'm not talking about JDB.

Trust no one and be careful out there kids. ???
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Do not buy off akgoff... It's all fooking fake!!! :coolsmiley:
Boy! There's been some shit repop stuff about... Never though that many brands!!!
Griff loves BUM..

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Do not buy off akgoff... It's all fooking fake!!! :coolsmiley:
Boy! There's been some shit repop stuff about... Never though that many brands!!!

You Fookin clown.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Gizmo

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Would rather have original over repop anyday
But would buy repop if part was hard to source or too expensive
But wouldent want to pay top dollar for repop
Or buy it as original & its fake
So in a nutshell if it finishes your build how you want it
Job done

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 10:28 AM »
It is very very sad and another wedge driving me away from old school BMX  :yahoo_silent:

I like the way Waza, the guy who has the other working Skyway hub press in Oz, advices about repop parts and he admits to selling repop Mongoose pads, grips and decals  :idiot2:

Actually Waza has a license to sell them, he is also the most genuine and honest person you could meet and a massive wealth of information about all things old school.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01 AM »

Actually Waza has a license to sell them, he is also the most genuine and honest person you could meet and a massive wealth of information about all things old school.
No one is saying he hasn't. Just don't bitch about others doing it when you're doing it yourself, is all people are saying  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 12:53 PM »

No one is saying he hasn't. Just don't bitch about others doing it when you're doing it yourself, is all people are saying  :daumenhoch:

So what you are saying is that it is not right to complain about poor quality repops if you produce fully licensed 100% correct and legal products.  Surely he is entitled to his opinion just as you and all of the societies members are.  What he does is no different to JDB, are you saying he and everyone else that makes repops should not criticize the poor quality ones or outright fakes?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Licensed, unlicensed....it's all re-pop, re-issue. It never came from the 70's, 80's or mid 90's. It might suit some peoples budget and others want the real deal.

My point was, and only point, when re-issue or re-pop items yourself, don't judge others for doing so.

(as per what I understand from reading that thread, he is not actually licensed from Mongoose to reproduce their items, correct me if I am wrong)
BANNED

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 04:24 PM »
If it wasn't for re pop or re issue etc etc 90% of bikes on here wouldn't have decals. I love genuine and have heaps of it but when you can't get exactly what you need and repo is the only alternative your options become limited.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Licensed, unlicensed....it's all re-pop, re-issue. It never came from the 70's, 80's or mid 90's. It might suit some peoples budget and others want the real deal.

My point was, and only point, when re-issue or re-pop items yourself, don't judge others for doing so.

(as per what I understand from reading that thread, he is not actually licensed from Mongoose to reproduce their items, correct me if I am wrong)

I understand what you are saying and that is your opinion, and I respect that.

Regarding Waza, maybe you should check facts and not believe everything ill informed clearly bitter men worried about their iinvestments say especially when what they say is wrong.

Offline Baldbmxer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26 AM »
The Revcore stuff they questioning at the end is real. I know where they came from and saw and photographed the boxes myself years 4 or 5 years ago.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Regarding Waza, maybe you should check facts and not believe everything ill informed clearly bitter men worried about their iinvestments say especially when what they say is wrong.
:daumenhoch:   :-*
BANNED

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Some of those items were done by people on here, they were honest about them and people who bought them, did so knowingly, what happened after that is where any issues peope have lie.

simon, i think the phrase you're looking for is
i told you so.

was anything else ever going to happen in what's become a value driven hobby?
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repops, copies and fakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx