gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975693 Posts in 138931 Topics by 6355 Members - Latest Member: Jason Lynn August 02, 2024, 03:03 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  padset what materials
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: padset what materials  (Read 859 times)

Offline Rupert da bear

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
padset what materials
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Hi all.
Trying to find out what materials most old school padsets were made of .I think it maybe some sort of nylon and leatherett also where would be a place to buy it from.It may be a waste of time but i think i may give it a go and try to make one as i cant find what im after online at a reasonable price.
Cheers.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: padset what materials
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Nylon for the velcro ones and leatherette/pvc coated cotton for the thicker one with press studs as far as i know. Both should be easy enough to find but unless you have a sewing machine and know how to use it well you are probably better off buying some. I'm sure someone on here does them?  ???

Thought about making some myself as i have a machine in work but never got round to it. With the screen printing of some logo/text and sourcing the foam it always seemed like too much effort for what they cost off the bay/here etc.
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:07 AM »
I got some repro skyway bar pads made up a few years ago, after i stupidly put an orig one in the washing machine.  :crazy2: won't be doing that again! Got some nylon woven material and velcro ribbon from a fabric warehouse in Liverpool (cost about £5.00). Did the logo and got a screenprinters to make up the screens for me (cost about £60 to make the screens and print 12 off in blue/red skyway colours). Then took the printed sheet of material to a local alteration shop, where they cut them to the correct size & put in the hems & velcro (cost about £20). I already had the foam for the pad, so no cost there. Total cost about £85. Out of the 12 pads printed, a few weren't perfect, so about 8-9 were fine. The Demon Tweeks website sell car roll bar padding in loads of colours.

Here's how they came out..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:04 AM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Is firebird no longer making the odd padset ? .

Offline Rupert da bear

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:49 AM »
After looking at the flite ones i got from pork chop in the states i know i can do just as good im not knocking pork chop as they were quite cheap and you get what you pay for  but as im building my bike and my daughters i cant  wait for shipping from the states for christmas .im after making some pink chequer board pads  so thought if i could find the material  i could knock some up as im not bad on sewing machine .....but dont tell anyone. :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51 AM »
There is a half decent fabric shop over the road from me. Will stick my head in today and see if i can find any checkerboard stuff  :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Rupert da bear

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Thanks  :angel:...........who are firebird....

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Hiya mate, no checkerboard i'm afraid but they do have a few different pink shades of ripstop nylon (the stuff with the fine raised grid pattern on it like this:

Offline Rupert da bear

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for your help but thinking outside the box i may have found somthing i can use its a pink camping bed  the fabric used for the bed area is quite similar so if all else fails i might go this option.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  padset what materials

gfxgfx
gfx gfx