gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hard Anodising
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hard Anodising  (Read 1287 times)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
Hard Anodising
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:00 AM »
I had a Tuf neck chain ring with hard anodising in black !
Needed it polished up, but oven pride would not shift it - sunstrip stuff - the nasty paint stripper would not touch it

been after a solution on how to shift hard anno stuff for a while

read up a bit and seen a few things written on this subject

so went into the cubboard under the sink and pulled out the drain un-blocker - caustic soda

put the kettle on and poured it into a plastic tub - popped the chain ring in and then poured the crystals in - bugger open the bloody window quick and stick the fan on  :D ;D

frothed away and within 30 seconds hooked the chain ring out - bloody hell it worked in seconds

it has taken off the hard anno and left it clean and with a raw finish  :4_17_5:

if you do it

do it out side

do it away from pets and kids

don't do it in the house and let the wife see  :nuts:

it only took less than 30 seconds - so don't leave it or it will melt !

well i'm happy now I know how to get the bloody stuff off - oh and it was on alloy, so i'm not sure how it would work on tange headsets ?

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline pkripster

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Hard Anodising
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06 AM »
nasty stuff aint it :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Never used anything different , Caustic is the 'man's' choice  :D  Strips rims, brakes, seat clamps within seconds ...... especially if you use it with warm water  ;)      I wouldn't have recommended using boiling water though B  >:D :crazy2: ;D

Oven pride is nicely packaged and in a bag for a reason ........ the ladies use it around the kitchen so it doesn't damage there freshly manicured nails  ::)   Caustic is in a plain white bottle with a skull and crossbones on the front  8)

Defo use it outside , if you inhale a good mouthful of the fumes it literally takes your breath away !!

WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47 AM »
Well it was Hot water as to opposed to boiling  :pilky: i'm not that stupid - well nearly  :crazy2: ;D

it was the Hard anodizing that was the bloody pain to shift and every time I asked on here I got no answer ?  ???
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Good bit of info for impatient me.

What do you rinse the stuff off with after?

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Well it was Hot water as to opposed to boiling  :pilky: i'm not that stupid - well nearly  :crazy2: ;D

it was the Hard anodizing that was the bloody pain to shift and every time I asked on here I got no answer ?  ???

Tbh im surprised it worked so well on the hard anno , i had a set of hard anno'd pro class rims and they were a right ballache to strip ...... nearly as bad as chrome !  I can't remember if i gave up in the end and there probably still in my garage somewhere  :D

Glad to hear the water wasn't boiling B ..... lethal combination , especially indoors aswell  :crazy2:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46 AM »

plenty of clean cold water  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Well don't forget this is on alloy and it might be different on other metals

I know there is a reaction when doing the hard anno process and that the Caustic soda changes that process again due to it reacting to the alloy !

I have a tange nut with the hard anno on it - will try it when I get a chance

Doing it the way I did, there was quite some reaction - so please do it outside and safely  :crazy2: ;D

please also post up if you try and find out any thing yourselves  :daumenhoch:

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:57 AM »

plenty of clean cold water  :daumenhoch:

Cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Never used anything different , Caustic is the 'man's' choice  :D  Strips rims, brakes, seat clamps within seconds ...... especially if you use it with warm water  ;)      I wouldn't have recommended using boiling water though B  >:D :crazy2: ;D

Oven pride is nicely packaged and in a bag for a reason ........ the ladies use it around the kitchen so it doesn't damage there freshly manicured nails  ::)   Caustic is in a plain white bottle with a skull and crossbones on the front  8)

Defo use it outside , if you inhale a good mouthful of the fumes it literally takes your breath away !!

I only ever use caustic crystals,  99p from cheapo shops

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27 PM »

The stuff i use is in crystals Lee , just comes in a white plastic bottle  ..... top stuff and like you say cheap aswell  :daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23 PM »

The stuff i use is in crystals Lee , just comes in a white plastic bottle  ..... top stuff and like you say cheap aswell  :daumenhoch:

Cheap as chips Joff

Offline sparkysx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I did this today on some black anodized Haro rims, worked a treat. I wore marigolds and glasses and used an old toothbrush. I put 3 litres of warm water into an old washing up basin and about 250-300 grammes of caustic soda (£1.50 from Wilkinsons) stirred it with a big screwdriver and put the rim in, left it to soak for 5 mins max, then used the toothbrush on it, kept rotating it and repeated the toothbrush method until I got back to where I started, took about 45 mins to strip 2 wheels.
I have polished one with Peek, one more to do.

Add Caustic Soda to water, not the other way round!!!!!!!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hard Anodising

gfxgfx
gfx gfx