gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:56 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration Advice required
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoration Advice required  (Read 1328 times)

Offline sac110

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Restoration Advice required
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Im currently doing my first restoration and have a few questions for you more experienced restorers.

I have stripped and now cleaned the original callipers and levers but the levers are shot, so my first question is do i replace with original as per what came on the bike to keep it original or do i use this opportunity to upgrade to Dia Comp MX1000's?
These are the original callipers after cleaning

and before

Levers after

Question 2, i have been using Citric Acid on the other bits but am worried about using it on the frame in case it ruins the decals, which i would never be able to replace. On the frame i have been using a chrome polish and aluminium foil but have a couple of places that are proving stubborn,  is there anything else i can try to do these bits or is it a case of just carrying on with what I'm doing and hope it works?

Last question - How do you clean kashimax saddles as the one i have is dirty.

Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:53 AM by sac110 »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Help and Advice required
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:52 PM »
The frame will be fine in citric acid, it wont touch the decals, just stop using the foil, it will leave scratches where it picks up the rust particles. Your bike so your rules but if its a budget bike replacing like with like is always better in my opinion.

Pics of the seat would be good but a decent cream cleaner and a foam scourer is a good place to start  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline sac110

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:04 AM »
Oldschoolace thanks for that will try the frame in the citric acid, cannot find any info on the frame so doubt i will find another frame.

I will give that a go on the seat.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Restoration Advice required
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Hiya steve, have a good old read through this buddy  :daumenhoch:
www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,153492.msg1513731.html#msg1513731
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:27 PM »
You always need a cheese option......

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Oldschoolace thanks for that will try the frame in the citric acid, cannot find any info on the frame so doubt i will find another frame.

I will give that a go on the seat.

Personally i'd remove the guts and then throw the seat in the dishwasher to loosen the dirt, followed by a good scrub with everything you have under the kitchen sink.  They are surprisingly robust....... 

If the rails and guts are rusty, or tarnished soak in a gallon of white vinegar (rail side down) for a couple of days, rinse and then give the rails a wipe with WD 40.  I did this with a pink Dominator and its looks good as new now.

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:48 PM »

Loving that thread ^^^^
He's a good fella is mr B, not sure how many bathrooms he's got though bert  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline sac110

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 08:18 PM »

Wow thats handy to know and i did see in B&Q yesterday peek is half price, so will be back down for some of that.

Still cannot decide on the brakes. Keep originals or replace with MX1000's.
Will do the seat tomorrow, straight in the dishwasher.

Steve

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Steve, unless you have a clear picture in your head of how you see the finished article I'd get your bike looking something like first, then take a step back, take a long hard look, admire your hard work and then decide if you want to upgrade.  At the thick end of £200 a set for something reasonable a mx / tech 3 set up its a pricey upgrade that will quickly lead to you upgrading something else........

Much like myself you will ignore this advice and 6 months from now have £1000 quids worth of brakes stashed in your garage, 5 frames in the loft, 4 in the garage and will be on first name terms with your postman ;)

Offline sac110

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Steve, unless you have a clear picture in your head of how you see the finished article I'd get your bike looking something like first, then take a step back, take a long hard look, admire your hard work and then decide if you want to upgrade.  At the thick end of £200 a set for something reasonable a mx / tech 3 set up its a pricey upgrade that will quickly lead to you upgrading something else........

Much like myself you will ignore this advice and 6 months from now have £1000 quids worth of brakes stashed in your garage, 5 frames in the loft, 4 in the garage and will be on first name terms with your postman ;)

Oops may be a bit late on that, I had some yellow skyways in the garage and as the wheels were shot even though i was going to try to restore them. I tried the Skyways and my mind changed so now to complement have a yellow saddle and grips.
With the brakes I was just going to go original but the levers are shot and will need replacing whilst flicking through ebay i found some mx1000's for £67 so thought should I get these or just replace like for like but don't know how that is veiwed as it's no longer original, but then neither are the wheels saddle and grips.

Since i got back into bmx's and ebay i ended up with with so much stuff which luckily mates have had off me leaving me with a Hoffman to knock about on and the Ammaco to restore, but the bug has hit and now I'm looking for my next project.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:07 PM by sac110 »

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Oops may be a bit late on that, I had some yellow skyways in the garage and as the wheels were shot even though i was going to try to restore them. I tried the Skyways and my mind changed so now to complement have a yellow saddle and grips.
With the brakes I was just going to go original but the levers are shot and will need replacing whilst flicking through ebay i found some mx1000's for £67 so thought should I get these or just replace like for like but don't know how that is veiwed as it's no longer original, but then neither are the wheels saddle and grips.

Since i got back into bmx's and ebay i ended up with with so much stuff which luckily mates have had off me leaving me with a Hoffman to knock about on and the Ammaco to restore, but the bug has hit and now I'm looking for my next project.

That's how it begins  :LolLolLolLol: welcome to the slippery slope of os bmx.......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoration Advice required

gfxgfx
gfx gfx