gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cranks  (Read 2623 times)

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Cranks
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:25 PM »
what would be a decent set of cranks for around £100?

Cheers, Jack

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Cranks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32 PM »
So much choice at that price.

you could do worse than  a 2nd hand set of profiles for half your money!

Speak to Radshop Stodgy, he'll put you right.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Yep - second hand set of Profiles. Spend the money you save on a nice splined sprocket :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:55 AM »
How much would a second hand set go for though?  £60 - £80  ???

For another £20 i'd rather have a new set of Vocals or a set of WTP Royals

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:05 AM »
How much would a second hand set go for though?  £60 - £80  ???

For another £20 i'd rather have a new set of Vocals or a set of WTP Royals

I've flogged sets on here Rob for £35. They regularily come up on eBay with BB in chrome/black for sub £50. Last you a lifetime n'all so long as you keep em tight.

Edit - there's a set on there now for £40.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:08 AM by Dannywhac »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05 PM »
yup second hand profiles always a bargain ,

ask the question "have they got the wobble?  "  though , chances are the seller will say no but ive had a few sets second hand that have the wobble.     

the splines get a little play in em ,the cranks will rock forwards and backwards when you ride , this will get worse the more you use em ,   

if its the spindle then you can get a cro-mo replacement for around £20 ish , if its the boss on the crank arms then you've got a bit of a problem , there is a way to sort it out though and stop it completely  ;) ;),     also make sure you get the removal tool,  cuts out the headache of trying to get them off ,  if you "fix" the crank boss you'll defo need the tool  :daumenhoch: the other pain with profiles is the 7/32nd allen key, in the flush bolts, bin them and get a set of the bolt (set screw) ones  :daumenhoch:

just a heads up that's all jack,  you'll probs drop on a nice set certainly if you get a set from a member on here  :daumenhoch:

having said that the vocal valetines that pickle mentioned are real nice for just under £100 got a set myself :daumenhoch: as are the royals , new parts are the best no headache and it'll all fit together better  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:16 PM by oldtired »

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »
cheers lads!
i'll probably get a set of 2nd hand profiles then  :daumenhoch:

yup second hand profiles always a bargain ,

ask the question "have they got the wobble?  "  though , chances are the seller will say no but ive had a few sets second hand that have the wobble.     

the splines get a little play in em ,the cranks will rock forwards and backwards when you ride , this will get worse the more you use em ,   

if its the spindle then you can get a cro-mo replacement for around £20 ish , if its the boss on the crank arms then you've got a bit of a problem , there is a way to sort it out though and stop it completely  ;) ;),     also make sure you get the removal tool,  cuts out the headache of trying to get them off ,  if you "fix" the crank boss you'll defo need the tool  :daumenhoch: the other pain with profiles is the 7/32nd allen key, in the flush bolts, bin them and get a set of the bolt (set screw) ones  :daumenhoch:

just a heads up that's all jack,  you'll probs drop on a nice set certainly if you get a set from a member on here  :daumenhoch:

having said that the vocal valetines that pickle mentioned are real nice for just under £100 got a set myself :daumenhoch: as are the royals , new parts are the best no headache and it'll all fit together better  :daumenhoch:
  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Cheers

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:02 PM »
emailed about these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141121417311&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

and got this back

Dear jack_fletcherr,

No dents.
Sprocket is good. Pretty new.
No boss means that it doesn't have a bolt from cranks to sprocket. Sprocket runs on the spline of the axle which is way better.
Also makes cranks look neater.
Shouldn't have any wobble if you tighten them properly running the spacer in the BB

is that good?

Jack

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Them's the ones I saw earlier. Bargain.

If there's no wobble then go for it - the 'no boss' means you can't run a regular sprocket that requires a bolt to go through it into one of the crank arms to secure it. Splined sprockets don't need these as the centre of the sprocket has splines on it that fit into the splines on the crank axle, and they're waaaay better than non splined as you won't suffer from the old chain tight spot that you get on regular cranks due to the boss bolt pulling the sprocket out of line slightly.

You'll still need to get a bottom bracket bearing set (19mm and I'm guessing as it's new school a mid BB), but your local bike shop should have a decent one for around the 15-20 mark. Get them on eBay and bag yourself a BB set and you've got a good set of cranks including sprockat all in for £70  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29 PM »
 :daumenhoch: as said by dannywhac bargain , new bb and you'll be sorted , :daumenhoch:

sorry to be a doomsayer but the wobble isn't affected by the spacer in the bb ,

its an up and down movement rather than side to side, so you can get the bb set up right no movement sideways and all tightened up ,ans spinning smooth,    the fault won't be noticed until you ride , it'll make no difference how tight you do up the spindle bolt as its the splines not engaging properly  that causes the problem ,   

that set looks ok as its a gun drilled no boss set so it only a few years old probably?  , and the no dents suggests they've had an easy life ,

as said just airing on the cautious side  :daumenhoch:

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Think I'm gonna go for them  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

cheers

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:33 PM »
my cranks arrived today  :slayer:

will i need this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/profile-installation-removal-tool/rp-prod106013

???

I am going to get the cranks powdercoated a high gloss black

rodriguez

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:26 AM »
my cranks arrived today  :slayer:

will i need this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/profile-installation-removal-tool/rp-prod106013

???

I am going to get the cranks powdercoated a high gloss black

You are better off with the tool, makes fitting hell of a lot easier and means you can take them off if you need to and that's a good price for it.   :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55 PM »
top stuff young Jack  :daumenhoch:  as Rody the Riguez said good price on the tool , 

DOUBLE CHECK IT'S THE RIGHT ONE! its only showing the solid spindle option on the selection panel , for the 3/8 24tpi thread spindle , the gun drilled is a 10mm 1.25 thread  :daumenhoch:

the cranks were listed as gun drilled if you got the set in this thread off ebay
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:59 PM by oldtired »

rodriguez

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 01:50 PM »
top stuff young Jack  :daumenhoch:  as Rody the Riguez said good price on the tool , 

DOUBLE CHECK IT'S THE RIGHT ONE! its only showing the solid spindle option on the selection panel , for the 3/8 24tpi thread spindle , the gun drilled is a 10mm 1.25 thread  :daumenhoch:

the cranks were listed as gun drilled if you got the set in this thread off ebay

Looks like it's the wrong one   :'(

Still reckon it's worth getting one though even if it is £20

Ring the Radbmxshop Stodgy doesn't have one listed but might have one lying about.

or

http://www.alansbmx.com/78570/products/profile_gdh_crank_tool.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CL-wmuTF_boCFSsKwwodBkUADA

or

Putted a wanted up but if anyone one has one I'm sure they'll give you a shout if they read this.

Offline J4CK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 02:16 PM »
cheers guys  :daumenhoch:

I'll give the rad shop a ring tomorrow :)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 09:26 PM »
I'd fit the cranks and ride them first before getting them re-powdered. Just to make sure they have no wobble :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx